My recipe
8 oz Great Northern Beans
5 cups water
4 chopped strips bacon
1/2 onion, chopped
sprinkle kosher salt
1 T brown sugar
1 t French's mustard

Cook in slow cooker for 4-5 hours on high. No need to soak.

What's your recipe?

razz
8-23-11, 11:01am
I put boiled water over 2 lb beans during the day, drain and place with fresh water in the slowcooker overnight with a diced onion. In the morning, I drain the beans, add some homemade salsa, a little ketchup, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/4 cup molasses and salt and pepper to taste. Store in different containers for reheating in the microwave as needed. Easy and fuel efficient since we are on the smart meters now that determine the electicity cost depending the time of use.
If i add salt during the cooking, they do seem to stay harder longer.

loosechickens
8-23-11, 3:16pm
I pretty much make them in a similar way as you, Anne, except no meat, and use molasses in place of the brown sugar (modern brown sugar is nothing but regular white sugar mixed with molasses anyway, so might as well cut out the middleman). Oh, and I don't use the slow cooker, but usually make them in my Sun Oven. And, I never soak beans, just start cooking them from dried beans....just takes a bit longer. Also, I never add salt until cooking is complete.

In this hot weather, I hope all of you who are able to do so, put that slow cooker outside on a porch or patio, to keep that cooking heat out of the house. Hopefully you have an outside electrical outlet, or can run an extension cord outside.........

Nella
9-2-11, 10:45pm
...use molasses in place of the brown sugar (modern brown sugar is nothing but regular white sugar mixed with molasses anyway, so might as well cut out the middleman)...Does anyone think that using sorghum would work as a substitute? I've got a big jug that I bought in Wisconsin, but haven't really had a chance to use.

loosechickens
9-3-11, 1:49pm
Sorghum works, but it's more delicate in flavor than a dark molasses, so may have less of a molasses type flavor. But I have a jug of sorghum, too, and have used it before in baked beans. Although I have used it half and half with molasses so I got the more molasses flavor. Just personal preference.

Nella
9-3-11, 5:25pm
Thanks Loosechickens!

Madsen
9-3-11, 7:02pm
No need to soak?! Awesome!

Anne Lee
9-3-11, 8:19pm
Nope. No need to soak.