PDA

View Full Version : The best thing you ever ate with...red potatoes

puglogic
8-25-11, 12:39pm
Who knew that my little 6' circle of red potatoes I planted back in May would be so prolific? I harvested just 1/4 of it today and pulled out close to 20 pounds. Yikes.

So. What's the best recipe with red potatoes in it you've ever eaten? I'm thinking colcannon.....roasted potatoes with shallots.....garlic-mashed potatoes? I'm gathering ideas, so please share (please) :)

treehugger
8-25-11, 1:30pm
Mmm, I love red potatoes, especially since you don't need to peel them for mashed potatoes. I just read about Salt Potatoes, which sounded interesting. I guess they are a Syracuse, New York State. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_potatoes

I also love red potatoes in potato salad and sliced thinly on focaccia with rosemary.

I really need to try growing potatoes next year.

Kara

puglogic
8-25-11, 1:40pm
It's so easy, treehugger. Almost as easy as garlic. I haven't done anything but throw on some straw and water the bed periodically since planting the eyes in May. And now this....a zillion pounds of nutrition. (i love nature) Check around locally and find the ones that do best in your climate.

Tenngal
8-25-11, 7:32pm
chop into chunks, toss with olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven 30-45 minutes. Yum, yum.

Greg44
8-25-11, 7:38pm
cut up in chunks, not peeled, boiled, slightly mashed with real butter, parsley, salt/pepper -- I can eat the whole pan!

Rosemary
8-25-11, 7:56pm
I steam them whole. DD likes them cold, plain; I like them sliced on my salads.

SoSimple
8-25-11, 8:57pm
Steamed and then sauteed in a pan with olive oil, onions, peppers, a little salt & pepper. Also very good with green beans done the same way.

Also with olive oil and balsalmic vinegar with green beans and/or chickpeas.

iris lily
8-25-11, 9:04pm
Look lightly, quarter; toss with pesto.

puglogic
8-25-11, 10:47pm
I'm printing this thread out and sticking it on the fridge :)

Blackdog Lin
8-26-11, 6:50am
I tried a new recipe yesterday that turned out really really good: Asian Potato Salad, using red potatoes, green onions, bok choy, and a dressing of mayo mixed w/soy sauce, sesame oil and dry mustard. Something different for summer. Gonna be a keeper for the recipe file.....