PDA

View Full Version : What are canning tomatoes?

frugal-one
8-25-11, 1:56pm
I assume they have the correct acidity? I just picked them up from the local farm and they are not impressive.... cracked, etc. Is this normal for "canning tomatoes".

CathyA
8-25-11, 2:23pm
I suppose any tomato can be a canning tomato, but if you aren't going to add an acid, like citric acid, you should use a tomato that is high acid. Unfortunately, alot of tomatoes today are lower in acid and you really don't know what their level is.
I just freeze tomatoes now, instead of canning. But I like to use a Roma-type tomato, since they are more meat and less juice. I'm thinking you would want a meaty tomato for canning too, since you want more meat and not alot of juice.

loosechickens
8-25-11, 2:28pm
it's always a good idea, even with plum type canning tomatoes to add a tablespoon or so of lemon juice to each quart as you can them. Tomatoes are bred to be lower in acid than they were years ago......

you can can any tomatoes, but the "eating" types will be juicier, and the canning types, like Roma or San Marzano plum tomatoes will be meatier and with less juice.

creaker
8-25-11, 3:52pm
I assume they have the correct acidity? I just picked them up from the local farm and they are not impressive.... cracked, etc. Is this normal for "canning tomatoes".

I wonder if they were called "canning tomatoes" based on appearance/quality? As in "not what you'd put on your table, but these are good for canning".

Gina
8-25-11, 3:58pm
My guess is that your "canning tomatoes" are labeled as such because they are seconds and better suited to processing than eating out of hand. As others have said, if you can them with a hot water bath you probably shoudl add a bit of acid to them, especially if they are the Italian sauce types (longer oval than round) or if they are 'ordinary' tomatoes that you squeeze the acidic seeds/juice from.

CathyA
8-25-11, 4:15pm
I've been told that you can add lemon juice or vinegar, but it seemed like that would impart a flavor I might not like. I found some citric acid at a health food store. I haven't used it yet, since I freeze my tomatoes. Maybe some day I'll get back to canning, but its alot of work.

Simpler at Fifty
8-25-11, 5:54pm
I add lemon juice to mine and follow the amount in the Ball canning book. You cannot taste the lemon juice.