PDA

View Full Version : Urban alley makeover

redfox
8-26-11, 2:54pm
http://daily.sightline.org/2011/08/26/alley-alley-in-come-free-2/?utm_source=Sightline&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WeeklyScore

I LOVE this story!!

iris lily
8-27-11, 12:23am
I like that, too. Urban areas have so much potential for that kind of thing, that's why I love the city and especially my city. Where real estate is highly valued, even alleys are highly valued and become places for community gatherings and events.

But that wouldn't work here because land isn't valued all that much, there is a ton of it for everyone.

Gardenarian
8-27-11, 11:15am
Wow! I am so inspired! My little town has lots of alleys - I'm bowled over by the potential! Thank you!

:thankyou:

JaneV2.0
8-27-11, 4:10pm
Love the Cascadia reference. Would that we could secede; we already have a flag!

Great ideas here.

Stella
8-28-11, 1:15pm
Oh how cool! I love this!

kally
8-28-11, 2:38pm
how do you think they pay for the frequent garbage pickup though?

fidgiegirl
8-28-11, 4:52pm
It is super cool, but I have to admit, I had a garbage-related question, too! :) My first reaction was to wonder where, then, will all the dumpsters go. It appears I should have read more closely, though, b/c I have no idea what kally's comment is about :)

redfox
8-28-11, 7:07pm
The frequesnt garbage pick-up is a shift that the new contractor to the city made, in an effort to keep the city cleaner. They have smaller trucks which make frequent trips. No idea what the commercial cost break-out is, but folks in Seattle seem to very much appreciate it.

redfox
8-28-11, 7:07pm
The frequent garbage pick-up is a shift that the new contractor to the city made, in an effort to keep the city cleaner. They have smaller trucks which make frequent trips. No idea what the commercial cost break-out is, but folks in Seattle seem to very much appreciate it.