PDA

View Full Version : Refusing plastics

RoseFI
8-27-11, 1:46am
I'm now convinced there's only one solution to plastics -- refuse them. I just saw a clip from a movie-in-the-making by photographic journalist/artist Chris Jordan, he documented the tens-of-thousands of baby albatrosses that are dying this breeding season, because their parents feed them from the Pacific plastic gyre. It's horrific: http://www.midwayjourney.com/. What he says is so true, "can we allow ourselves to feel deeply enough that it transforms us and our future?" It does take FEELING into a change to make it last. I can not express to you the impact he had on the 120 people sitting in the room listening to him talk - and cry - about his journey to witness what we are wreaking, so far out of sight. It made me feel, "if he can do this, if he can hold this horrific reality up so close to his heart, the LEAST I can do is try to eliminate plastics in my life!"

Care to join me in this challenge?

My SO and I are now trying to eliminate both the acquiring and the disposing of plastic as much as possible... week two just completed. (We are re-using to the maximum the plastic we already have.) It's really just applying the Financial Integrity practices to our material lives -- only the "three questions (http://www.financialintegrity.org/index.php?title=Step_4._Three_questions_that_will_ transform_your_life)" are a little different:
1) Can we solve/get/receive this in something NOT plastic?
2) Can we create a solution to this packaging problem that is solution-oriented and in partnership with the giver/seller?
3) Can we just do without this item?

Is it possible to eliminate plastics in modern life? We're going to see... So far this week, we've acquired a very few plastic items:
1) a friend gave us low-sugar, home-made zucchini muffins in a sandwich bag. We were so thrilled about the low-sugar, (they were delicious too) we forgot to hand back the bag until we had already left with it in hand!
2) lineman's pliers -- why in the world do these need to be encased in plastic? I was in a hurry and didn't notice when the store guy handed them to me as the solution to my fence-cutting conundrum. Didn't notice until I was in the car.
3) vinegar -- bought it to can veggies so I wouldn't buy tin-canned veggies from the store (which are lined with BPA - a toxic plastic!) Bought two big bulk containers, which at least should last a long time and be re-usable as slug-fence/mini-cloches in the garden next spring.
4) our deli gave me sliced meat in plastic-lined deli paper -- when the heck did they change to that? It used to be just waxed paper.
5) one time going out we forgot to bring our to-go bamboo silverware, and had to partake of one plastic fork, which we shared, and brought home to add to our party supplies.

On the positive change side:
1) Getting goat milk from a local farmer in mason jars, so we don't have to worry about the plastic caps on the glass jugs. (Actually, we used to do nut milks -- that's some BAD packaging there!) We'll use this to make our own yoghurt, which we will start from someone else's fresh batch, as opposed to buying a single-serving portion like usual.
2) I didn't get a milk shake, because I could not figure out how to ingest it without using a straw. (My pancreas is very happy about this.)
3) We're buying more melons, and no small, packaged fruit - yum!
4) Time to go ask our local shampoo maker if she'll re-fill our bottles...
... and many other daily decisions that just aren't coming to mind at this late time of the night.

We're actually finding it fun to stretch in this way, and work on further embodying our "living simply so others can simply live" values.

Do you have ideas or tips to share?

redfox
8-27-11, 2:34am
Our food coop has stopped using plastic bags for groceries bagged at the checkstand.

razz
8-27-11, 7:30am
That is a very ambitious goal, Rozie. I will give it a try by starting to make my own shopping bags for produce as well as carryout bags.

herisf
8-27-11, 9:09am
You might want to read the Zero Waste Home on Blogspot. She's eliminated all disposable waste in her family's life, including no plastic. You can get great ideas for alternatives in her articles. Good luck!

Bastelmutti
8-27-11, 10:25am
We have made small strides toward this idea. As a first step, we got rid of the "kid" plastic cups and plates. Even younger kids who come over just use the regular ones. We also bought some glass "tupperware" although we still do use our plastic stuff for lunches. The glass ones can even be used for refrigerating/freezing beans and leftovers. I started buying wax bags instead of plastic bags for the times we need disposable snacks or lunches (sometimes a school requirement on field trips). Those are the few times I buy juice boxes or water bottles - we use the Sigg metal ones normally. I got used to using reusable grocery bags regularly, but still need to make or get some produce bags.

Still a long way to go!

Sad Eyed Lady
8-27-11, 10:26am
I try to eliminate plastic as much as possible, especially in the form of grocery bags. I take my own canvas shopping bags, and any plastic bags that does end up in my house I take to a local mission that uses them to bag items they sell. That doesn't solve the problem but at least they are used again before going into the landfill. It is a big problem, we would have been better off if we hadn't jumped on the plastics bandwagon. I remember when we took our soft drink bottles back to the store, etc. there was not all this plastic floating around and now it seems everything comes packaged more than once in the stuff. At stores other than grocery stores, when they reach for that plastic bag at check out I just say "I don't need a bag, I'll drop it in my tote here", or something to that effect. I have also started keeping a basket in my car so that small items that I just carry out, (with the receipt!), I drop in the basket and I can carry it in when I get home.

Gardenarian
8-27-11, 11:02am
I'm up for a challenge! I don't think I'll be able to go without plastics completely, but I'll try to raise my awareness of this and avoid them whenever possible. I'll write to the people who make my shampoo/ conditioner (Aubrey organics) and see if they have any options.
DD goes through lots of art supplies, often packaged in plastic - I bet I can get them without.
Thanks for bringing this up!

redfox
8-27-11, 1:04pm
I've found the most beautiful Kenyan baskets at GW which are my shopping bags. They are capacious and have leather wrapped handles! Love 'em. And we take the same plastic bags back over & over to the coop to put our produce & bulk items in. I have a line in my small laundry room where I hang the washed ones. The cats love standing under them and trying to catch the drips...

KayLR
8-27-11, 1:41pm
This is inspiring---Recently Portland OR banned plastic grocery bags (!) Not sure when it goes in effect. They also have curbside composting with the goal of eliminating weekly trash pickup.

catherine
8-27-11, 2:12pm
I loved the Zero Waste blog so did a little more research: take a look at Bea and Scott Johnson's home...

http://www.sunset.com/home/natural-home/zero-waste-home-0111-00418000069984/

thinkgreen
8-28-11, 1:29am
We switched to shampoo bars to eliminate the plastic bottles. We buy them from LUSH and are very pleased with them.

Kevin
8-28-11, 3:50am
I recommend carrying a string bag, like the ones on this UK website:

http://www.turtlebags.co.uk/index.html

Of course I wouldn't suggest that anyone overseas should buy from them if a similar product is available locally. But they are easy to roll up and put in a pocket or handbag, or to keep in the car. We have several.

Our local council collects our recycling once a week, and they provide sacks in which we can put paper, cans and plastic bottles and tubs and so on. What I haven't come across yet is any way of recycling the plastic wrappings, polythene bags and films that everything seems to come in these days. Most of what we throw out is that kind of stuff, now that we are able to recycle so much.

Kevin

Mrs-M
8-28-11, 10:47pm
I'm as conscientious as ever when it comes to purchases related to plastic. I still have a ways to go before I can say I've mastered the plastic crunch, but just knowing effort is being made makes me feel good (and happy) about myself and the environment.

P.S. Thanks for the links guys.

RoseFI
8-29-11, 1:50am
Thanks for the GREAT tip on the zerowastehome blog! The forum on there is a real treasure trove of ideas for the hard stuff. E.g. deoderant (stopped using the crystal rock years ago because it stained my clothes.) Yeah for baking soda and vinegar! But we still can't find a way to get large amounts of vinegar that aren't in plastic...

Today we brought our own special green bags to the farmers market. (We already had them -- they are plastic, but they really do keep the produce fresh longer.) Bought some garlic in a bag - but the farmer (who I know) gets cellulose bags. Yesterday the SO could only buy a french baguette from the farmers market, because the other loaves were in plastic. Thank goodness the farmer/baker who sells at the Sunday Tilth market has a hearty whole wheat wrapped in paper! Looks like after the markets close in October, I may be doing my own baking? (Cheaper, anyway!)

One thing people don't think of is just to ASK, without judgement, whether a supplier can accommodate a no-plastics request. Twice on Saturday night, I didn't manage to say No straws, please! fast or loud enough at the pub I was in, when ordering. So I'll go back when it's not so busy, and ask the owner if they can default to no straws unless asked...

Gardenarian
8-29-11, 5:36pm
Rozie - since you posted this I have been really aware of plastics and I can not believe how pervasive they are! Honestly, this challenge is going to be 10x more difficult than I thought! (As I type on my plastic keyboard....)

RoseFI
8-29-11, 7:13pm
HaHa, Gardenarian - I can't do small challenges -- too easy for my scattered brain to forget about them! But seriously, we live in a community that already charges you for plastic bags instead of paper, has an extensive recycling program, and where whole foods and locally-produced products are all the rage, so we had a jumpstart. It's still amazing how much plastic there is though! Just like a spiritual practice, some huge sudden conversion doesn't last as long as or go as deep as slowly building muscle memory to each day more mindfully do the right thing...

So here is our strategy: NOTICING is the first and most important part of the challenge, and the ongoing awareness practice that we'll need for the rest of our lives, probably. Recognizing the plastic stuff you already have is not as important as recognizing the inflow and outflow, and that's a more obvious awareness point anyway.

Next tactic - start eliminating/refusing the in-your-face stuff, like plastic shopping bags, bulk food bags, lids for to-go coffee. Buy fountain drinks instead of soda bottles and use straws and lids for your fountain drinks (must be more careful when drinking!)... It means a certain amount of deprivation until you learn to get pro-active. The first three trips to the store we could only manage to buy 3 items each -- I was joking with the cashier that we could only by booze, bread, and fruit. (It helps that we were already food hoarders to some extent.) Use it as an opportunity to clean out your larder while you create a new shopping routine in bring-your-own containers! Eventually you'll move up to things like having your next computer be a Mac instead of a PC (the latest MacBook Pro is mostly metal, and can be fully recycled if you send it back to them.:+1:)

Next big strategy is to realize how much better your life is with this switch -- no more grabbing junk food on the run, lots more whole foods, much more thoughtfulness in meal planning, money saved on milk shakes and iced coffees (my travel mug only works well w/hot!>8)...) Gifts have to be more well-considered, and home-made now takes less time and money than shopping around trying to find toys that are plastics-free (nearly impossible!) Enables a smaller (cheaper) garbage can. Eliminating plastics almost always means eliminating lots of other nasty chemicals in food, cleaning products, toiletries, etc. Reduces your (and the manufacturing laborers') risk of diabetes, multitude of cancers, lung diseases...

Then there's the social networking this creates -- talking with friends & relatives about this in a curious rather than fanatical way brings in an awareness of your real values (almost always shared in the case of plastics, and if not, just get them to watch the albatross trailer!) New conversations in the deli section... Meeting your local store managers and vendors and brainstorming with them how minimizing plastics could possibly create marketing opportunities for them...

I'm really digging it! Helps that I'm unemployed and between school quarters at the moment, but my SO who works 60 hours/week sometimes does much better than me, because there's no time for doing anything except eating in the company cafeteria! :devil:

I'm not against plastics so much as I'm FOR non-plastics! :cool:

Mrs-M
8-29-11, 8:09pm
This is an awesome thread, Rozie!

I've been thinking about this a lot. I know (for a fact) I'd be far more accepting of and willing to use plastic things (more) if I knew (for certain) that the process of recouping, reusing, and recycling was more efficient (and honest) than it currently stands. The disturbing part about plastic use (for me) is how the manufacturing industry continues to go unchecked. They seem to have a free, unrestricted ticket to use as much plastic as they want without any sorts of restrictions or repercussions, and that's just wrong.

I've been on a no-plastic kick for a number of years, but I find there are still certain areas of exception where plastic use wins over/or won over. Like when I used cloth diapers. (Exception being plastic pants). I tried the nylon alternative to avoid using/buying plastic, but didn't like the nylon waterproofs, so that option didn't last long, and the option of forgoing the use of waterproofs altogether simply wasn't an option, at least for my situation it wasn't, so it was back to the old.

One of the shear problems with plastic and the relation to how consumers have become so dependent upon it, is conditioning. Seems almost everything nowadays (and for such a long time) is made out of or contains plastic of some sort, and being exposed to that for decades tends to automatically remind one that plastic is OK. Such a hard habit to break.

P.S. Love reading everyone's posts!

RoseFI
9-2-11, 3:15pm
Plastic we haven't figured out how to get eliminate yet: the plastic pulltab on the frozen juice. (Could get the carton, but we don't drink that much that fast...) Other than that, latest grocery trip involved no plastics purchase (granted, it was only 3/4 bag worth of food, but still an accomplishment!) Shampoo issue has still not been solved satisfactorily, dental floss (we like the woven thread rather than floss - can only find one brand and it doesn't come without the plastic case)...

fidgiegirl
9-2-11, 5:30pm
Floss is particularly vexing to me. I don't get why they can't make a dispenser and then you buy refill floss, much like tape (another plastic! Bah!)

Gardenarian
9-8-11, 4:12pm
So far so good - I haven't been to the store for anything! But I can only put it off for so long....
I really don't like the taste of my homemade yogurt :~)

Maybe I can find some of that fancy yogurt that comes in little jars. Yummy, too.

leslieann
9-8-11, 4:22pm
Small consumer plastics are one thing; but look around you. Your phone is plastic; your computer is housed in plastic, your car has much plastic on it. There are plastics in most bio-medical supplies, and those that are not made of plastic are wrapped in plastic. I don't know that we can make much of a difference in our homes. Maybe I am just tired and hence negative, but I don't know if making a huge effort at home will have any effect whatsoever.

Having said that, though, I have a consumer complaint about produce at my local supermarket. I can't purchase some forms of greens NOT in a plastic box. And they sell tomatoes in a plastic clamshell case, and so many other items. I am irritated that this large company, that ONE year ago was charging for plastic shopping bags, sells produce that is packaged this way. I suspect that the plastic packaging significantly increases shelf life or otherwise makes the product worth more but the message is certainly mixed.

hmm, maybe I shouldn't post when I am feeling negative....I have also tried to minimize my household plastics use. Just looking at what I send to recycling is embarassing, to say the least, but I also get caught up in my negative thinking.

I'll visit that blog and maybe come back, inspired!

catherine
9-8-11, 5:05pm
Floss is particularly vexing to me. I don't get why they can't make a dispenser and then you buy refill floss, much like tape (another plastic! Bah!)

What about the floss that looks like a mini-plastic slingshot--my son loves those, but all I can think of is, what a waste! More plastic!

Mrs-M
9-8-11, 8:23pm
The most frustrating thing for me related to plastics, is the way it's forced upon us regardless of how we feel about "it", and/or, it's use/effects on the environment. Like Leslieann so mentioned, it's to a point where no matter what we do- we're beat, and that fumes me!

Sometimes I feel as though we are the only ones who recognize the grave consequences involved in continuing on the path we are on.

larknm
10-20-11, 11:01am
Thanks for the mention of vinegar bottles. I forget it comes in glass bottles too--I plan to use those from now on. And the idea of getting in touch with your shampoo's maker.

larknm
10-20-11, 11:02am
Thanks for mentioing vinegar--it does come in glass bottles too, so I"ll use those from now on.

shadowmoss
10-20-11, 1:02pm
The majority of the problem is DISPOSIBLE, ONE-USE plastic, from what I see. Phones and keyboards and such are an issue and shouldn't get a free pass, but the main issue is the disposible stuff. I used to read a blog called The Last Straw which is an artist who went a year not using any single-use plastic. She(?) went through a lot of what I'm seeing here. I have fallen off the wagon somewhat living in Honduras, and really I need to be even more vigilent here because of the trash problem here. I'll get back on the bandwagon.

Zoebird
10-28-11, 11:09pm
we do our best. our toughest is getting rid of meat-packaging plastic.

since we won't be going vegetarian (health reasons), the next option is the butcher, but our local butcher doesn't do plain paper anymore. he does plastic bags. it's annoying.

luckily, NZ recycles all plastics, btu still.

we switched to bamboo toothbrushes, natural (and local) floss that comes like a ball of string in a brown paper box, and we use glass for as much as we can (shampoo, vinegars, etc). i tried shampoo bars, but they were making my hair weird. I tried about 10 different brands -- and several of them were local.

thinkgreen
10-29-11, 12:54pm
Zoebird - we had a difficult time finding a good shampoo bar also. None of our locally made shampoo bars were suitable. Many left our hair flat and greasy. We settled on the LUSH brand because we like our hair after it is washed.

Zoebird
10-29-11, 3:34pm
i think lush products are good, but the shampoo bars cost $12 a bar, and when cared for they lasted a month. When not cared for (e.g., my husband leaving water in the tin, or leaving the tin open while showering which caused it to melt, so it would go away. No matter how many times i told him how to take care of a shampoo bar, that man could not figure it out! local ones cost about $5 a bar, but didn't work.

the current shampoo that we use comes in bulk. we take our container back to the shop and refill it. it works well.

thinkgreen
10-30-11, 2:12am
Zoebird - I see your points and now understand. Sorry, I didn't realize you had already tried that brand. Some of the challenges you mention do make me reflect that the shampoo bar tins are really a very poor design and ill suited to the task. Not everyone has the time or inclination to deal with a slippery bar of soap that has to dry out before it can go into its tin. In fact, we don't use the tins because we keep the soap bars on the bathroom counter on a wooden tray. The bars do seem to last us a lot longer as we don't wash our hair daily.

Congratulations - I think you have found a great solution in discovering the refillable supplier.

fidgiegirl
10-30-11, 6:29pm
This thread has helped me keep plastics in mind a little bit. It's hard, because I'm trying to do a lot right now, and it sometimes gets crowded out of my little brain. But I am trying to bring my coffee mug if I go out for a drink, and also I skipped buying anything for Halloween. Far from perfect, but trying. There really is so much crap in the world, and it's all destined for the landfill.

We are thinking of trying this (http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-magazines/dogfancy/dog-fancy-extras/1105-extras/doggie-doo-digester.aspx) for doggy doo doo in the new house. Right now we put it in baggies - reused, of course, from newspaper deliveries or produce purchases by my mother-in-law - but it still just goes away to the landfill to pickle.

Juds
10-30-11, 11:14pm
I know that you are watching finances with the new house and all, but have you considered using a digester for pet waste? I used one when we had dogs, a million years ago, and it worked just fine...in the moderate weather. We still had to take care of the waste during the winter, but part of it was training the dogs to defecate and urinate near the digester, which made clean-up much easier all year round.

It was easy. Dig a hole, insert the equipment, toss a bit of enzyme stuff in there once in a while and almost like magic, no smell and no waste to get rid of in the trash. It was kind of like this one (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=570), but ours was not as nice, and I am certain that it cost a lot more, too.

Juds
10-30-11, 11:17pm
Sorry, I did not see that you had a link there. I am such a macaroon.

RoseFI
10-31-11, 12:18am
Okay, I have to admit that Halloween threw me off -- I bought two bags of organic, corn-syrup-free candy for the kids' grab bags for our party last night -- Individually wrapped treats in a larger plastic package -- but this year I just didn't have the time to make hand-made treats. Wouldn't you know it -- no kids came (other than a baby)!

But here's the victory for the week: my partner bought a "safety razor". That's what they called bladed razors that took the place of straight razors. She got a German one, (search: Merkur Double-Edged Safety Razor), and we just ordered some Japanese blades. Yeah, not so great for buying local, but feels so good in the hand and it's amazing how much better this razor shaves than the pink plastic disposable things! And shopping for blades today, I found a whole nother online community -- a forum that's all about shaving. Who'da thunk? (Maybe this isn't news for a guy, but it sure was a surprise to me.) See what going plastic-free can do for you? !Splat!

fidgiegirl
10-31-11, 8:52pm
Sorry, I did not see that you had a link there. I am such a macaroon.

Tee hee, Juds. A macaroon . . . I am giggling . . .

fidgiegirl
10-31-11, 8:54pm
Okay, I have to admit that Halloween threw me off -- I bought two bags of organic, corn-syrup-free candy for the kids' grab bags for our party last night -- Individually wrapped treats in a larger plastic package -- but this year I just didn't have the time to make hand-made treats. Wouldn't you know it -- no kids came (other than a baby)!

But here's the victory for the week: my partner bought a "safety razor". That's what they called bladed razors that took the place of straight razors. She got a German one, (search: Merkur Double-Edged Safety Razor), and we just ordered some Japanese blades. Yeah, not so great for buying local, but feels so good in the hand and it's amazing how much better this razor shaves than the pink plastic disposable things! And shopping for blades today, I found a whole nother online community -- a forum that's all about shaving. Who'da thunk? (Maybe this isn't news for a guy, but it sure was a surprise to me.) See what going plastic-free can do for you? !Splat!

Halloween is a plastic nightmare :(

Good going on the razor! I wish DH would use one like that! I have to admit I bought pink plastickies about 5 years ago and am still working on them (I only shave pits, sorry if TMI ;)) . . . when they eventually are done, maybe I'll get a nice one, too.

ljevtich
11-3-11, 2:02am
We use Dr. Brommer's soap for our hair, no conditioner needed, plus it is good for other things like cleaning. We can get it in bulk when we go to the store. The biggest thing for us is re-using the plastic bags for garbage, as we do not use large garbage bags, but instead the ones that come from the stores. Paper does not work for goopy food. Washing out a garbage can wastes water, a major commodity in the desert. I just have not found a cheap alternative to the free plastic bags in the store. We do not throw out as much stuff anymore, as we get most food in bulk or large boxes. Grand Canyon was great, they recycled up to class 6 in plastics! plus tons of other stuff. But Lake Mead only recycles cans :( so Nevada is not as good is Arizona.

Charity
11-4-11, 11:36am
In an effort to reduce using plastic grocery bags, I knitted expandable market bags. I used yarn made from recycled plastic pop bottles and they are machinewashable. The bonus was that because I made the handles long enough to go over my shoulder so carrying groceries is much easier.

ljevtich
11-4-11, 1:32pm
All of the candy the kids got this Halloween are plastic coated. My Sister is a collector for Terracycle, and so she became part of the Candy Wrapper Brigade:
Candy Brigade (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/greenhouse/post/2010/11/recyle-halloween-candy-wrappers/1)

Terracycle then makes the stuff into cool things like purses and other stuff.

larknm
11-7-11, 9:48am
Juds, I really like 1. Identify what's most important to you. 2. Minimize or eliminate everything else.

fidgiegirl
11-7-11, 6:37pm
We use Dr. Brommer's soap for our hair, no conditioner needed, \

Do you use it straight? Diluted? Mixed with anything else? Once I used it on my hair and it wasn't at all what I expected. I did use peppermint. Maybe that was part of it.

ljevtich
11-19-11, 12:59pm
Hi Kelli,
We use the peppermint for our hair. I have used it diluted and not diluted (diluted 1:1 so that it lasts 2x as long) and when it is not diluted, it seems to have more suds. Rub it in your hands first, then put on hair. What I like about it is that I also do not need hair spray or other stuff to keep my hair in place too.

I have used the other scents for cleaning and I do not dilute. I have yet to try it on clothes, but I think I might try it the next time I wash stuff. We've got so much of it now that I do not need to get it again for at least a year.

I even tried the peppermint liquid soap to brush my teeth (it said you could do that, it was an interesting experiment and would work in a pinch, but I do not think the DH would go that way! :)

Weston
11-21-11, 8:36am
Not particular enlightening on the topic, but several years ago my sister-in-law was working for me as my office manager. She (quite rightly) got on my case because when I was busy and didn't want to take the time to make my own coffee I would go down to the building snack bar and come back with coffee in a Styrofoam cup.

In order to help save the earth she brought in a travel mug from her house which was plastic but at least was reusable. The first time I went down to the snack bar with my reusable mug the owner (who didn't have the best English skills) poured my coffee into one of his Styrofoam cups and then carefully placed the whole thing (cup and all) into the top of my travel mug.

The next time I was even more specific, and told him I did not want the styrofoam cup in any manner. He shrugged, poured the coffee into a styrofoam cup and then poured the coffee from the styrofoam cup into my travel mug. He then threw the styrofoam cup into the garbage. He insisted this was the only way that he could do it in order to make sure that he gave me the right amount of coffee for what he was charging me.

CropCircleDancer
11-30-11, 8:19pm
I am gradually getting plastics out of my life. I don't consume many, but have been recycling plastics from others for storage. Now I want to switch to other materials, including glass, mesh, baskets, paper and metal boxes (the metal boxes are from others as well). Glass storage containers for the fridge are on my Christmas list.

pinkytoe
11-30-11, 10:41pm
We recently had to replace some supply plumbing pipes under the house when we renovated the bathroom. Regrettably, we caved to the plumber's recommendation to use plastic PEX hose to replace the old copper. But then I realize plastic is everywhere so what the heck...it is in my car, coffee pot, refrigerator, and on and on. We do drive ourselves crazy worrying about this stuff though, don't we?

Mrs-M
11-30-11, 11:41pm
A short while back I posted a thread topic called "Plastic Fantastic". It's the best 51:30 minute broadcast I have yet to come across related to plastic and it's use, unfortunately the topic didn't garner any interest among SL folk. Nonetheless, the jest of the topic is, plastic is not going away. (Period).

RoseFI
3-23-12, 11:21pm
In case ya'll were wondering, we are still on the extreme-no-plastic kick. I can't say we're 100% successful, but here's the latest cheers and jeers:

1. dental care: we happened to have acquired our apocalypse hoard of dental supplies JUST BEFORE we were inspired to go plastic free. So we used it all up (well, we're down to the hygenist-provided little floss things.) The toothpaste is no problem -- I'm fine using baking soda as long as I can rinse thoroughly. Actually works MUCH better than paste. But the floss is an issue! My SO is very exacting about dental care and only likes "woven" floss, which doesn't come in bulk (hard to find at all, really!) Have not solved this one yet.

2. shampoo: we tried to get a bar of shampoo soap, tried vinegar, tried dr. bronners -- all made hair feel horrible! Luckily, we have a local body product maker, and so we now get a custom-made formula refilled continually in the original bottle. Fabulous product with no nasty ingredients, and YAY local!

3. meat confessions: we don't eat meat/fish often, but probably once a week. The only store with a butcher is 10 miles away. When we're heading near there, we try to remember to take a container, and ask the butcher to drop the slab in. But lately food has been a last-minute deal, often procured from smaller butcherless store nearby. We take the styrofoam to be recycled (there's one recycler about 30 miles away), but definitely NOT good (and we have the huge pile of trays to shame us.)

Mrs-M
3-24-12, 8:52am
Good on you, Rozie! It's so hard being 100% plastic-free nowadays, but at least being aware of what's coming into the home in the way of plastics, is a step in the right direction!

leslieann
3-24-12, 9:32am
It was good to read through this thread again. I am sitting at my desk with a container of play-dough, a box of markers, several pens, a jar of hand creme, a notebook with a plastic cover (the plain old cardboard ones are harder and harder to find), two DVDs, and my agenda (again with a plastic cover). I need a reminder to keep my awareness UP. I do carry the cloth bags to the grocery and the market and I do re-use most of the time and recycle the rest of the time but I still have a vast amount of plastic in my everyday experience.

Thanks for the update, Rozie, and good for you. By the way, this thread originally inspired me to try out Dr. Bronner's, but of course I got two kinds and in plastic bottles....sigh....

razz
3-24-12, 6:57pm
This should be one of the top threads!

Bronxboy
3-24-12, 7:03pm
I'm trained in plastics technology, so I have a positive view of plastic. Somebody has to take the opposite view!

That said, I think our county's plastic bag tax has already cut the amount of litter around after three months.

Bronxboy
3-24-12, 7:06pm
2) lineman's pliers -- why in the world do these need to be encased in plastic? I was in a hurry and didn't notice when the store guy handed them to me as the solution to my fence-cutting conundrum. Didn't notice until I was in the car.

Reasons are to make them hang up on the shelf in the store, and be too bulky to end up in someone's pocket before they get paid for.

Bronxboy
3-24-12, 7:09pm
What about the floss that looks like a mini-plastic slingshot--my son loves those, but all I can think of is, what a waste! More plastic!
Due to arthritis, this is the only way my wife can floss at all.

Bronxboy
3-24-12, 7:11pm
But I am trying to bring my coffee mug if I go out for a drink
Been getting the hang of the reusable cup myself lately. As an added benefit, it saves 50 cents at 7-11.

Jemima
3-25-12, 3:15pm
Reasons are to make them hang up on the shelf in the store, and be too bulky to end up in someone's pocket before they get paid for.

This is a very big reason for a lot of plastic packaging - preventing shoplifting. It's so irritating to have to liberate every little thing I buy from a tough plastic bubble! I really wonder what difference it makes regarding profits - is it cheaper to engineer and produce a plastic bubble with a cardboard backing that exactly fits a heavy-duty stapler or to just allow a bit of thievery?

Jemima
3-25-12, 3:26pm
I apparently missed this topic when it was first posted, but I'm getting rid of every piece of plastic in my kitchen after reading about BPA. My neighborhood has a weekly recycling pickup and they take all kinds of plastics along with metal and glass.

Finding glass freezer containers has been a challenge so far. I looked on Amazon and all I could find were 'sets' with several different sizes of containers. I want a bunch like my plastic ones which are the same size and stackable. I'm currently using BPA-free plastic containers made by Glad, but I'm still suspicious of plastic food containers.

I do the usual things: use cloth bags for shopping, choose glass containers over plastic when I have a choice, and buy in bulk or at farmer's markets. I let the mail order company where I buy vitamins and herbs know that I won't be buying their cold-pressed walnut oil again because of the plastic bottle, which is not BPA-free.

Some things on my Do List are to start buying raw honey from a local place that just sprang up (I've been getting raw honey - in plastic jars - from the above vitamin store) and visiting a local farm to buy free-range chicken and turkey.