PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Polliwog
1-9-11, 8:26pm
For my 60th birthday, my son bought me a new Mercedes 240C. It is now 6-1/2 years old (that makes me 6-1/2 years older. Yikes!). Anyway, I love my car, but I do not get good gas mileage and the car is expensive to maintain.

Currently, mileage is at less than 70,000. I have a bumper boo boo that needs to be fixed at about $500.00 and car is due for maintenance. I feel very safe in the Mercedes because it is a heavy car. I was rear ended on the freeway 6 years ago and the sturdiness of my car probably saved my life.

Question is, should I consider selling my lovely Mercedes and buying a more practical car (for cash), something with better gas mileage and less expensive to maintain? I am up and down on this decision.

Polliwog

razz
1-9-11, 9:09pm
I wouldn't unless you do a lot of driving and the cost of gas makes a huge difference. you know this car and its maintenance record.

goldensmom
1-9-11, 9:12pm
Keep the Mercedes.

kally
1-9-11, 10:12pm
unless you do tons of driving keep the merc.

kib
1-9-11, 11:31pm
Heaviness and gas mileage are to a large extent inversely proportional. So going for something with really good gas mileage will probably mean giving up the security that comes with weight. You seem to have done well with that and appreciate it. I have a car I can almost lift, it gets 70+ mpg. That pleases me, but it's definitely not the safest option! Truly, YMMV on this one, if the safety associated with the weight is a big consideration with you, keep the 'cede.

Polliwog
1-10-11, 7:04pm
Thank you everyone! Ok, I will keep my little Mercedes. You guys have given me the answers I really wanted.

janharker
1-11-11, 8:16pm
We owned a Mercedes. Yes, it was a safe ride. But remember that an expensive car will be expensive to its very end. We sold ours a few months ago, because years 6-10 were extremely expensive for maintenance and repairs that come with an aging car. Since I keep a strict accounting of our expenses, I can tell you that we were averaging $700 per month on repair bills, not counting gas.

I think if you do your homework you'll find a vehicle that is every bit as safe as your Mercedes. We bought a 2011 Subaru Outback. We think we'll be safe, we know our repair bills will be far less, our cost for gas will be less, and we are quite sure that this car will last for many years.

Bronxboy
1-11-11, 8:37pm
Do you have a trustworthy independent mechanic, preferably specializing in Mercedes?

If so, I'd say to stick with it.

Polliwog
1-12-11, 12:48am
Do you have a trustworthy independent mechanic, preferably specializing in Mercedes?

If so, I'd say to stick with it.

Yes, I do. He is a mobile mechanic so he can service my car at my residence or at my workplace. He used to be a mechanic in the service department for Mercedes Benz.