PDA

View Full Version : Laundry question

simplelife4me
8-29-11, 12:06pm
I have some exercise shirts that faded badly after alot of sweating in them. They faded right where the sweat would have been, back and shoulder where daypack straps go across. What are some things I can do to prevent fading of my shirts?

1. wash frequently
2. use ?woolite

Water&Air
8-29-11, 1:41pm
simplelife4me it happens to moi all the time, and the only solution I have come up with is to replace with white, T-shirts. I know how boring, but practical.

simplelife4me
8-29-11, 2:01pm
Forgot to mention these are button down shirts made of polyester.

Mrs-M
8-29-11, 8:35pm
Simplelife4me. I remember a thread topic came up on the old forum where someone was inquiring about a dye set recipe for securing the colour of wearables/washables, and I remember I had a homemade recipe to help set the dye of fabric items, yet I couldn't find it when I looked for it, and I even asked my mom and she couldn't find her original recipe.

However, I looked up a few online recipes (which seem to match perfectly with my old recipe), and here is one I selected for you.

Recipe ingredients:

1 cup white vinegar.
1/2 cup table salt.
Standard sized plastic wash bucket full of water.

Mix ingredients together (in water) till combined, then add clothing item. Allow to soak for 2-3 hours, wash as normal. This isn't a 100% guarantee against fading or colour staining, but it definitely helps set the colour of dyed items which may (in turn) help against acidic and alkaline based staining.