PDA

View Full Version : Ladies - handbags/purses/backpacks, what do you use?

kitten
8-31-11, 4:34pm
There were a couple of threads like this on the old board, so I thought it was time to start a new one. Somehow I can never solve my bag problem, and it does my heart good (and makes me feel like less of a dork) when I see other women struggling with the same thing.

So - what do you use? If it's a handbag, what kind, how big, leather or fabric? How many do you have? Do they have different functions or occasions for which they're appropriate? Do you ever not use a purse at all? How does your wallet fit into the scenario? What kind is that? Does anybody use a backpack?

And it's always fun to hear what you guys carry in those puppies :)

My everyday go-to bag is a black nylon Rafe bag that's wider than it is deep. The handles can be for hand or shoulder - I often carry it in the crook of my arm. Nice big interior with outside zip pockets for stuff I carry around. I like it, but - I'm just bored with it. And the handles are patent, either real or fake, but the material makes my shoulder sweaty.

Right now, if I stripped down to a reasonably minimal state for my current lifestyle, I would really only need three handbags:

- a big tote for work (somehow I always end up carrying books, clothes, shoes, food to and from work)
- a smaller cute purse for weekends and casual evenings, I don't need the kitchen sink in there
- a small, dressy-ish evening bag for when I have do's, mostly work-related arts events

So I'm gearing up to get rid of my extra bags. Here are some of them:

- a leather handheld UGG bag in the shape of a square - good for nights out
- another evening bag, black, handheld, with zippers all over it that goes with a little black dress I have, also decorated with zippers
- a purple Nine West shoulder bag, synthetic but super soft, great color, has a flap, nice for Fall, but not as functional for me as a tote would be
- a small white nylon Kipling handbag that's kind of sporty and cute, but not super practical, too small
- a small white PVC Diesel handbag with black details, adorable! But I never use it
- a small neutral handbag, beautiful cognac leather, good for casual but doesn't hold much, and won't work too well if DH asks me to stuff his wallet into it like he does
- a fabric Chester bag with fun flowers and decorative stitching, spring/summer only. I'll fold it up this week and won't look at it again for months

Okay, your turn :)

Kestra
8-31-11, 5:56pm
I either use nothing - just pockets if going shopping or walking or a backpack if going to work and other places. I really don't like purses. I own one little black purse just for weddings/funerals etc - just fits my wallet, keys, couple small things. I only use the purse once or twice a year. I almost always need the backpack since I bring food, clothes, a book plus regular purse stuff. I bus a lot as well, so maybe that's why the backpack is more convenient. Makes no sense to carry a big lunch bag, and purse and then still not have room for extra clothes.

Gardenarian
8-31-11, 6:12pm
Backpack. I am usually carrying a book or two, art stuff, sometimes netbook as well. I keep a little sling pack handy for hiking or walking the dog - just big enough for keys, water bottle.
I was always looking for the perfect bag, but I have found that a simple pack with just a couple of compartments works best; I then organize my stuff into pencil box, cosmetic bag, and so on. It's easy to find what I need.
I usually borrow from my dd (12) if i want a cute bag for a special occasion.

ctg492
8-31-11, 7:31pm
My all time Fav and I get upset if I dabble into other style is, The Classic Black Leather medium sized Hobo Bag. One zip on top, small zip side pocket inside, No fancy multi compartments. I carry a cell phone wallet most the time, however and then toss it in the Hobo.

Mrs. Hermit
8-31-11, 8:08pm
I've been carrying smallish square bags this summer. I have a black leather go-to, and a quilted cloth bag. I have a huge synthetic black and cream patent leather "bag" that I use as a tote for traveling, school, etc. I have a small purple shoulder bag for dress up, and a travel wallet with a shoulder strap for days when I'm walking a lot. I also have a large purple leather bag that often is my purse in the winter. I can put my gloves and hat in there along with all my usual stuff without having everything overflow.

Tradd
8-31-11, 8:26pm
I have two purses, a black crocheted The Sak bag and a fun multi-colored LeSportSak small cross body bag.

I have a black and grey LL Bean messenger/laptop bag and a gorgeous handmade quilted simple tote bag a coworker custom made for me several years ago. It's black with brights - pink, purple, aqua. It's in the "Flying Geese" pattern.

SiouzQ.
8-31-11, 8:29pm
I'm using a getting-kind-of-ratty-looking-traveler's black Eddie Bauer backpack for work days, as I carry a wallet, 2 prs. glasses, a thin calendar book, an umbrella, a rhyming dictionary, 6x9 notebook, an I-pod, a water bottle, my lunch, a chap-stick, gum, a Swiss Army knife, my keys, a denim jacket (which I left at the library tonight after work) and various checked-out library items (books, DVD's, CD's)and a zippered pouch of essentials such as tampons, advil, safety pins, etc.

If I am going out for the night I have an old black leather backpack style bag that just fits everything I am going to need. I detest searching for bags that work and find that the purse and bag styles as of late are really atrocious-looking with all that stupid hardware, studs and buckles! I really do not like carrying anything that looks like a purse because I am not at all girly-girl like that. I like practical and useful things however, and always search Value World and Salvation Army for the perfect bag.

folkypoet
8-31-11, 9:38pm
I carry this (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/40341?feat=59217-ppxs&dds=y) bag from L.L. Bean. Mine is an earlier version in a cool, brown paisley pattern that I found at a thrift shop for a few dollars. I *love* it. I used to carry a small purse, but now I'm loving the convenience of being able to toss a book right in - or a few snacks. :o) And I love the features - the clips for keys on the inside, the cell phone pocket (that I use for Shambala pocket books since I worry (probably needlessly) about a cell phone falling out), the many inside pockets, all of it. And did I mention how ruggedly it's made? Very highly recommended.

iris lily
8-31-11, 9:42pm
The female gene that causes fascination with purses is absent in my DNA. So I haul stuff around in a backback. Usually it's light, not much in it. I got into this habit when I walked to work.

When I'm going into a store, I often leave it in the car and just take in my billfold and car keys.

Rosemary
8-31-11, 10:12pm
Like folkypoet, I carry a "healthy back" sling bag that I got for far less than retail. It holds everything in an organized way, doesn't hurt my shoulder or neck, and is lightweight and washable (mine is nylon, small size).

When I travel, I take a regular backpack and a small cloth purse just large enough to hold my small wallet, keys, phone, and camera. I put the purse in my luggage and when we're going on a short excursion for which I don't need the backpack, I just move those things out of the backpack and into the purse.

Mrs-M
9-1-11, 12:14am
I have a small clutch purse for fancy/dressy outings, and for my everyday normal purse, either my hobo, or plain handbag styled purse. (Love both)!

ApatheticNoMore
9-1-11, 3:00am
In true minimalist fashion, I usually just carry a wallet. When I want to tote books or something I just grab one of the reusable bags I take the store (when I remember yes).

IshbelRobertson
9-1-11, 4:39am
I own a LOT of handbags. With shoes, they are one of my weak spots. If I see one I love (have to really LOVE it, though) - I buy it.

Some are well-known brands like Mulberry or Aspinall, some are from department stores. Most of them are leather, with only a couple of brightly coloured French made, Longchamps bags which I use as handbags for air flights.

jania
9-1-11, 9:51am
I carry The Day Purse from this site:

http://www.reignvermont.com/collection.html

I'm on my second one now, the other lasted 8 years. My fabric selection is Intermezzo. To work I carry a large tote bag I sewed myself and it carries my purse, lunch, supplies and books if needed.

Sad Eyed Lady
9-1-11, 6:12pm
I would say I carry a purse, but the truth of the matter is when going to work and when running errands I usually grab my tote bag, dubbed my "going to work bag", and throw in what I need.

MamaM
9-1-11, 6:32pm
I have what looks like a bucket bag with a zipper and long handles..use it just about everyday. When we travel, I have a small red purse that fits inside a tote. I also have a silver sparkly clutch for evenings out, as I do a lot with work functions and volunteering that requires a little fanciness. I have a larger tote for work for my laptop, files, folders, etc. I like it because it's kinda fancy but is washable. Other times, I just grab my wallet, like at the farmers market and put that in a reusable tote.

pony mom
9-3-11, 9:38pm
I have about 4-6 purses that I change throughout the year, according to the season. My favorite is a classic brown leather one from Bass (I don't buy leather anymore, except for shoes) that has a nice aged look. It's almost 20 years old now.

I don't need to carry a lot of stuff with me; my wallet is very small and I rarely carry makeup anymore. Wish I could squeeze everything into a cute tiny bag but they don't work for me. But, my purses aren't huge and cumbersome and I like my things organized and easy to find inside.

For the rare times I'm visiting a city for the day, a backpack is a must. Maps, umbrella, water, food, all must be handy.

Float On
9-4-11, 9:20am
I've got lots of purses so I pretty much change out daily depending on what I'm wearing. considering that I usually only pay $1-$5 at Thrift shops and I've gotten some really good brands I don't mind 'splurging' on the number of bags I've got.

Merski
9-4-11, 11:13am
I use one black good purse 99% of the time which I buy at salvation army and then hunt for another when it starts looking shabby. I have a fanny pack that I will use when I'm doing research at a library or for serious salvation army shopping (so my hands are free and I don't have to worry about where my bag is.) Like the idea of a summer bag but nothing looked summery or good enough. Just not a purse buyer.

happystuff
9-5-11, 10:30am
I have too many to describe! Most fall into the "travel" description and are Eagle Creek or Eurosport or the like. My favorite day-to-day has become a small Healthy Back bag that surprisingly fits more than my same size rectangular/squarish purse! Unfortunately, I paid full price so I probably won't be getting another one any time soon, but I do plan to draw up a pattern and make my own.

I normally carry a small credit card holder as my wallet, a folding brush, a smallish set of notebooks (dayrunner "lifetracker" - small), a nail file, a pen, a mechanical pencil, my medicine bag (very small), a 2 X 2 inch quilted bag-thing (holding baby nail clippers, glasses screwdriver, john wayne can opener, sewing kit, tweezers, mini-swiss army knife) and a small tri-fold picture holder with the pics of my kids. Sounds like a lot but everything is "small".

kitten
9-5-11, 12:26pm
Fun responses so far! You guys are WAY more organized than me. What impresses me about these replies is that you seem to know exactly what you want, and you're happy with your choices!

I'll get there someday, lol!

Keep 'em coming...

Spartana
9-6-11, 12:53pm
I use a very small black cloth backpack that holds my wallet, a handgun, cell phone, extra keys, and a lipstick. However I usually stuff it under the seat of my car and just take my wallet and keys with me when I go somewhere - like into a store. When I go walking or running I leave everything behind except my car key. Don't bring any I.D. but have a tatoo with name and last 4 #'s of my SS# and wear my old military dog tags for I.D. in case something happens to me. If I go on long runs or hikes I have a small fanny pack (that I wear in front) that holds a hand gun (specially made for that), 2 insulated water bottles, and room for some food, cell phone, keys and wallet.

kitten
9-8-11, 2:29pm
Spartana - a gun, wow. I thought about learning how to use one once (I had a stalker scare), and I actually went to a shooting range and tried something out, but I can't remember which model it was. What kind do you have?

Spartana
9-8-11, 2:45pm
Spartana - a gun, wow. I thought about learning how to use one once (I had a stalker scare), and I actually went to a shooting range and tried something out, but I can't remember which model it was. What kind do you have?

I have several handguns (shotguns and rifles too) but my "purse gun" is a .380 Beretta pistol. I use to carry a gun for work (both in the military and civilian jobs) and have carried a personal handgun for years (decades!) now. Over on the politics board we've had some VERY lively debates about carrying guns before. And no ZigZag man - it's not a sex thing :devil: :laff:

Zoebird
9-9-11, 11:09pm
this is an interesting question.

my preference is to carry nothing. I put my key (which is on a silver whistle key chain) in my pocket, then my bus pass, debit, and id into a small plastic slip and put that into my pocket. then the cell phone goes into my other pocket.

but, i have bags as follows:

1. cloth tote bag -- in this, i put the things listed above in a small cosmetics bag, another small cosmetics bag of a change of DS's clothing (just in case), a book for me and several for him; crayons and pad; pen and notepad.

2. backpack -- if i'm going to work, then i will have the backpack, which has the lap top in it, the file with the day's duties and work, and then a compartment that holds lunch, snacks, etc. I'll then slip my cosmetics bag of key, phone, id/cards into that as well.

3. fancy purse -- i have a huge fancy purse (jessica simpson) that is purple and faux gator skin. i love it. i got it for when DS was tiny, because i not only carried the cosmetics bag of keys/etc, and DS's change of clothes, but also a small cosmetics bag with his changes of diapers, and his wrap (storch) which folds up pretty small. I would also have a book, notebook, and pens as well. It all fit into this bag, which actually made it very easy to get around -- and it wasn't a diaper bag!!!! LOL I could also carry a sack lunch and snacks -- and usually did.

4. large tote -- i have a large, black faux leather tote that I got for free. I love that thing. On days where DS and I would be out for a shorter amount of time, it would ahve the three cosmetics bag (keys/cards, DS's change of clothes, DS's diapers) plus the wrap, plus lunch/snacks. This was for days when I wouldn't be stopping for a reading writing break with DS.

Now, what I actually use. These days, I mostly use the back pack.

DS has his own back pack now (he's pleased as punch-- it's orange and it has his name on it!), so he carries his own change of clothes, and books/crayons/puzzles. I'm usually heading to work while he's heading to kindy, and DH has already taken the computer to work (and thus backpack). I usually bring us a nice hot lunch to have at the office -- so that goes into a cloth tote bag. I often put the cosmetic bag of the other things right on top, so it's easier to get my bus pass. DH then takes the tote bag and dishes home, and i get my cosmetics bag into the book bag.

that's about it really. I try not to carry a lot of stuff. :)

Marianne
9-10-11, 9:19am
Uh...this is almost embarassing...I have two old, used, little denim purses that I snagged up at a friend's garage sale. And I'm constantly digging for what I need at the moment, keys, etc. But I put up with it. Our daughter and daughter in law are mortified when they see them. They used to offer their old purses, but now both have a purse they love and I will be expired by the time they part with them.

I carry a variety of 'stuff' in mine. Small tape measure, extra pens, little swiss army knife, hard boiled egg, whatever. Everyone knows to ask me if they need something...then the digging commences.

I did the matching shoes and handbag thing for years when I was in sales. I don't have that life anymore and I'm okay with it. :o) I like the simple life better!