PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy nice good looking box of greeting cards for bdays, thank you,congrats

seekingsimplicity
8-31-11, 8:34pm
I am looking for a box of greeting cards that include birthday cards, congrats, get well etc. I feel like it will simplify my life because I will have them on hand and not have to keep running to the store when someone gets sick, dies or has a birthday.

Where can I find a good looking somewhat hip modern set of cards?

How have you simplified your greeting cards?

thank you!

fidgiegirl
8-31-11, 9:37pm
Half Price Books has nice boxed sets that are cute. I have a stash and it really is a Godsend. We use the card stash a LOT.

We have ours divided by occasion in an old shoe box with cardboard dividers. It makes them easier to find. That way if you see some nice ones at a garage sale or thrift store you could pick them up and easily pop them in your stash.

Also I saw that Costco has a nice mixed set for a good price.

Rosemary
8-31-11, 10:02pm
+1 for Half Price Books for cards - both plain and with various greetings printed in them.

maryellen
8-31-11, 10:19pm
Unicef makes some nice ones, too.

Tradd
8-31-11, 10:23pm
I've just gotten some nice blank cards and use those.

iris lily
9-1-11, 7:43am
I'm not sure if it simplifies your life because you will end up with too many sympathy cards, not enough "good luck on your Retirement!" cards, etc.

I agree with tradd--Buy blank ones and write your own message.

seekingsimplicity
9-1-11, 8:48am
i have never heard of half price books. It is different than ebay's half.com right?

luvstoquilt
9-5-11, 4:29pm
I order cards from Current-also address labels. They have assortment cards.

catherine
9-5-11, 4:38pm
I used to use Current all the time.

Now when I go to a cute gift shop or book store and I'm dying to buy something, I just pick up an unusual card--even if it's blank, I'll use it to write my own sentiment. I have a collection of really pretty ones now that I can use for any occasion.

But for super-simplifying, because I'm not good with doing things in a timely fashion, I use Jacquie Lawson ecards: jacquielawson.com They are so creative and fun.

fidgiegirl
9-5-11, 5:20pm
Half Price books is a chain: http://www.hpb.com/

leslieann
9-5-11, 7:42pm
Yup, I like Jacquie Lawson too, mostly because I am never timely with mailing things to the US (where all of my relatives live). But for REAL cards, I got free packs of card stock plus envelopes, great big heavy ones, free with the ink for my ancient HP printer some years ago. I think I got three packs in all. I have used those forever to make cards for everyone. Markers, some scraps of scrapbooking paper and glue and people get something they would never find at walmart. And I am no artist, not at all.....but I figure if I take the time to make it , they can like it just fine. And honestly, it takes less time to whip something up than to get in the car and check out the cards, etc. Plus, of course, the original papers/envelopes were freebies that I needed to turn into something.

I have found blank cards in boxes, though, really NICE ones, at TJ Maxx. Not in Canada, though, back when I lived in the US.

frugalone
9-5-11, 8:27pm
Try Etsy.com. The cards there are handmade and not necessarily expensive. People will even take special requests.

Jemima
10-10-11, 8:06pm
Often the simplest thing is to make my own. But I'm a creative type and have a lot of fun doing that. Make-your-own might be drudgery if you don't enjoy artsy-craftsy activities.

pony mom
10-12-11, 11:58pm
How about cards from Current? Like these:
http://www.currentcatalog.com/~Greeting+Cards~Greeting+Card+Value+Packs.html

Or Leanin' Tree: http://www.leanintree.com/Boxed-Everyday-Card-Assortments.html

Or buy blank cards and a few stampers and color in your own. I'm amazed what can be done with stampers. Ooh, that's a silly word, 'stamper'. Is that right?

JaneV2.0
10-21-11, 6:36pm
OK. I have the solution (scroll down):

http://www.cmybacon.com/category/funny/page/4/