PDA

View Full Version : What foods do you take on backpacking trips when you are in the wilderness cooking

seekingsimplicity
8-31-11, 8:43pm
over a campfire?

We took:
starkist tuna salad packs with crackers
turkey roll ups
Mountain House freeze dried meals that you pour boiling water over
trail mix
peanut m and m's
dried fruit

Any other suggestions?

herbgeek
9-1-11, 6:50am
There's a whole bunch of "just add water" recipes over at trailcooking.com. Most of them have a ramen noodle or couscous base, with added ingredients. Minimus.biz has lots of individual serving items for sale, if you don't want to repackage ingredients from home.

There's always Bisquick, to which you add water, make a long snake of dough and curl it around a stick and put over the fire. We did this in Girl Scouts and all burnt our mouths because we were too impatient to wait for them to cool down.

Another good thing for camping is "fry brownies". Here's a link to the recipe- I've tried these out in my kitchen and they are really good: http://www.wildernesscooking.com/frybrownies.htm. I've also tried making muffins, using a small pot as a steamer. Doesn't brown obviously, but still taste good. Both of these ideas work better on a stove of some sort (and many wilderness camping areas don't allow open fires anyways), as a campfire may have quite varying temperatures.

Gregg
9-1-11, 12:31pm
over a campfire?

We took:
starkist tuna salad packs with crackers
turkey roll ups
Mountain House freeze dried meals that you pour boiling water over
trail mix
peanut m and m's
dried fruit

Any other suggestions?

Except for the turkey roll ups that is my exact list. Heavy on the peanut M&Ms.

goldensmom
9-1-11, 1:26pm
I’ll change the post to ‘what foods did you’ take backpacking and dig deep into my memory bank. The only thing we did over our tiny MSR camp stove was to boil water to add to Mountain House freeze dried meals. Other than that it was home mixed trail mix (M&M’s, peanuts, dried bananas, dried apricots, dried dates and raisins) and almonds. Eating was not as much a priority as the weight we carried on the trail and the waste we had to carry out.

Rogar
9-1-11, 3:08pm
I tend to go very light when backpacking and sacrifice some amenities. Breakfast is either instant oatmeal or a mix of granola, water, and instant powdered milk. Lunch is trail mix of some sort or energy bars, possibly jerky or peanut butter and crackers. Dinner is a pre-packaged freeze dry like Mountian House. Sometimes I do instant coffee and other times the real thing. That's mostly it. Sometimes a chocolate bar for a special treat.

I tend to camp in areas where there are black bear and have had a bear encounter in camp. I would never take tuna or cook any fish in camp. Next to bacon, it's probably their favorite food.

Gardenarian
9-1-11, 3:12pm
Also, instant oatmeal and packets of cocoa mix. I have sometimes brought "squeeze cheeze" but I figure that's cheating. Oh, and beef jerky for dd.