PDA

View Full Version : September Health & Fitness Support

Gina
9-1-11, 9:43pm
As mentioned in the previous thread, I'm working on eating with health in mind. As in I want to eat a lot more vegetables (I do fine with fruits), and eat less saturated fats, and carbs, though I am not low-carbing nor low fat. I am not a vegetarian. My goal is not to lose weight, though that would be nice if it happened - concentrating on that actually makes me eat worse in the long run. I just want to feel the best I possibly can as I continue to age.

I've been doing quite well, and already today I've had veggies at each meal, and a stir-fry is planned for dinner. And all the veggies are already chopped and in little bowls waiting. :D

I find I do better if I do preparation (washing, chopping) earlier in the day before I am either too hungry, or too tired to do it.

Yesterday at Costco I purchased some very nice mushrooms, onions, baby bok choi, and non-lettuce salad greens. From my own garden I have tomatoes, green beans, lettuce, and eventually fall greens. And I am trying fall/winter zucchini and cukes (no frost here, and full sun exposure).

I didn't note when I started doing this, but I think it's been about 2 weeks. Other than nursing a sports injury, I am feeling great! Both more alert and relaxed.

How is everyone else doing?

jania
9-2-11, 11:17am
Hey Gina! Thanks for getting this thread going. My goal for the month of September is simply to get back into my routine of walking in the morning and doing some daily yoga. I'll commit to posting at least once a week here to truthfully(!) record my actual behavior.

September 1 and 2 have started off good with me walking every morning, this is usually about an hour of walking with some mild inclines. My pace is slower as it is hot. This morning there was actually cloud cover so that felt a little refreshing.

lhamo
9-2-11, 8:20pm
September is off to a pretty good start. Weighed in at 66 kilos, which is where I was on August 1, so vacation damage was not too bad. Have gotten back into the lowish carb groove. I have decided to have a small amount of rice with dinner, because otherwise I find it difficult to eat some of the dishes our helper makes and it just adds too much stress to my life to try to figure out an alternative meal. I am doing well in terms of very low carbs for breakfast and lunch, so I think even adding a 1/4 to a /2 cup of rice at dinner is not going to be too bad. We'll see how it goes the next few weeks.

Things going well on the exercise front, too. Swam with the kids every day this week (except last night, when I had a work event), including several laps (a new thing for me, which I am enjoying for the most part). DS is very keen on the lap swimming and went from 5 laps the first day to 11 on Thursday. He is thrilled with his progress and so am I. DD is also really improving quickly with her swimming, though laps are a bit of a challenge for her as she has just learned to swim this summer. She got back into the Wii Fit this week, so that has been fun to do with her, too. I am also continuing with my regular running/weight workouts several times a week, trying to get in at least every other day if not more often.

I have already passed my first weight loss goal for the year (11 lbs/5 kgs), and reset my target to another 11lb/5kg loss -- means I need to lose 3 more kg before the end of the year. I think that is achievable, but would like to do more if possible. This month, in addition to trying to stick with a healthy lowish carb diet and keep my level of exercise up, I am going to do some more research on effective use of weight training for weight loss and core strength development, and try to really get a good routine going there.

lhamo

madgeylou
9-2-11, 8:31pm
sounds like you guys are doing great! it feels wonderful to set a goal and reach it, doesn't it?

i'm very close to my first weight loss goal. i've been really watching my diet since mid-may, and i'm down 30 pounds! just a few more till i hit that big milestone where my weight starts with a 1 instead of a 2 -- i haven't been there in about 6 years and if i keep up my healthy behavior, i'll be there in just a week or two.

helping my desire to not eat is the situation with my grandma. the darn hospital sent her home without doing ANY physical therapy with her -- an 88 year old who'd been in a hospital bed for 12 days! so she's needing A LOT of help. i've spent several nights over there and have had to assist her with stuff i'm sure she wishes i didn't have to. but it shouldn't be for too much longer. she is making a lot of progress. and i have lost 5 pounds in the last week between caring for her, trying to work as many hours as possible at my (limited time) contractor job, running wear the shift, and trying to have a life. no time for eating!

when she is able to be a little more independent and i can go over there for an hour or two a day instead of 6-10 hours a day, my intention is to start doing a little exercise in the mornings again. nothing major, just some squats, some plank time, a little yoga and stretching. i've been out of the exercising habit for almost a year now and i'm feeling flabby even as i lose fat ...

good luck with your goals this month, everyone!

fidgiegirl
9-3-11, 5:14pm
Wow, all of you! Way to kick some healthy butt!!

lhamo, Spark People (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness.asp) has a lot of articles about tons of different fitness things, and I know I've seen weight training ones on there before. My new coworker was commenting that her weeks of best weight loss have been the weeks where she has done some kind of weight training. Plus I have read that muscle burns more calories than fat, so if a person has more muscle, theoretically their metabolism is higher. I think that's how it goes, anyway . . .

I rode my bike to my friend's this morning. Went for a run a few days ago. Eating, meh. I am going to finally go see a holistic practitioner with hopes that she can help guide me through an elimination diet as the fall goes on.

I DID register for several fitness events throughout the fall and winter: two 5Ks and one 10K XC Ski event (the one I did last year and it was so fun). That gives me more incentive to "train." I like running, but sometimes I feel like it's just running around. Not sure how to phrase it. It's like how I never just go for a random walk without the dog. The reason for my walks is to walk him. But anyway, if I have a destination or a goal, I do a lot better with getting in workouts.

larknm
9-3-11, 5:39pm
Halthy eating thanks to a friend who hypnotized me about it, and to OA's 12 steps, my group, and my sponsor.

ctg492
9-3-11, 5:57pm
I really need to incorporate a few different exercise programs this fall. I basically jog and cycle, I like doing those. My goal is to """make"""myself do weights, I know it is good for me I just hate it :(

fidgiegirl
9-3-11, 11:59pm
Wow, larknm. I have never heard of that! I am so glad it worked for you.

ctg492, are you able to put your finger on what aspect it is that you hate? I am just curious. I actually find weight lifting very meditative with focusing on counting, breathing, etc. But obviously, what I love is not what everyone loves :)

I was just doing a few measurements and will be tracking them in SparkPeople, I am going to say on the 1st of the month (even though we are a few days in). I am recommitting to exercise and feeling better in my skin, but I become very discouraged by the scale - if it moves less than I want, moves up, or doesn't move, so that is not going to be part of my measurements for now. Perhaps I will do a once a month weigh in. There was a time last winter when I was feeling better in body shape and strength but was distraught by the scale not moving and then kind of gave everything up. It's silly to sabotage myself over that. I don't CARE if I weigh a certain amount. What I want is to get rid of this spare tire, to be able to do what I want to do when I'm 20, 30, 40 years older than I am now. I have to get in habits I can sustain so that when I am 60 I CAN climb the stairs, go for a walk with my family, walk my dog, etc. My mom is unfortunately having problems with all this and it's all due to her weight, which over the years has slowly gone out of control to the point where now she IS 60 and CAN'T do all those things, and it's sad to watch.

lhamo
9-4-11, 4:13am
fidgiegirl,

I hear you. I struggle with getting frustrated when the scale doesn't move, too. But try to keep in mind -- ESPECIALLY if you are doing weights -- that muscle is denser than fat and you may find that if you are replacing fat with muscle the scale may not go down and may actually go up a bit from time to time. I think this is especially true if you are not really overweight, but need to lose 10-20 lbs or so. It will come off slower, but you will definitely be more fit. That is what kept me going, really, in those months before I started seeing more progress with the lower carb approach. I could see that when I walked or ran on the treadmill, my heart rate woudl not get so high when I exerted myself, and my body would go back to a lower heartrate much more quickly after I went into cool down mode. I could run a few minutes longer every day, or run at a faster pace and still be able to handle it. I could lift more weight or do more reps. When the weight wasn't coming off, I tried to focus on those thigns. And the result is that I am definitely much fitter and more toned now than I was in January. I have lost weight, too, but that is almost secondary.

oh, one other thing that has really helped me not focus on the scale so much is having a target number of workouts for the month. I set it low deliberately -- 11 a month, which is 2-3 times a week. I have made that goal and more every single month, even during months when work and home schedules have been crazy, which feels really good.

Today was a pretty good day. I did a quick workout in the morning (30 min treadmill incl 20 min running, plus lower body weights and abs/back) as I had left the kids home alone and didn't want to be gone too long. Then we went for a swim after lunch and I did 11 laps. Did treat the kids --- and myself -- to an ice cream after swimming, which was YUMMY! Hoping it won't send me into a carb craving mania, but I seem to be doing ok. We'll have a good meat and veggie based dinner (baked chicken legs, roasted cauliflower, and cucumber/carrot sticks) in a bit and that should level out my blood sugar.

lhamo

Rosemary
9-4-11, 7:11am
I think our fall weather is finally here. That will help me get outside for more exercise than usual... I absolutely detest heat and humidity, and the combination makes me really crabby.

Lhamo, re: ice cream. Somehow that seems to be a 'safer' sweet for me to eat than anything wheat-based. Ice cream is so filling that I never want more when I'm done with it, but that's not true for a cookie or two. Still, we don't have it often.

Gina
9-4-11, 11:21am
Nice to see everyone doing so well. Fall seems to be the time when it's easier to get back into a rhythm.

I'd been doing well ... till yesterday. And even that wasn't too bad. Spent the day with friends harvesting their small vineyard, and they prepared both breakfast and lunch for us. They are health conscious, but in honor of their guests, they had prepared more sumptuous presentations. So I went with the flow and enjoyed all the goodies and the labors of our hostess. Then later came home and for dinner had a lovely salad and modified burger (beef with lots of chopped/sauted veggies mixed in - sort of flat, quick meatloaf)

And this is Sunday. I can only hope that this coming week will be as 'virtuous' as the last. I did not suffer eating lots of veggies, and in fact, quite enjoyed it. I do like them, I just don't regularly plan ahead enough to prepare them - it's just too easy to whip out a couple slices of bread from the freezer, spread it with mayo and slap something on top. Preparing good salads etc take much more time and thought.

Progress, not perfection. :)

fidgiegirl
9-6-11, 10:34pm
Thanks all for the positive vibes about the scale. I am feeling more positive having let that go. Have done two workouts and am not obsessing about my food but trying to make small, positive decisions, like when we went out to eat I got the "lite" version of a fish dish (one fillet) instead of the two-fillet version. It was COMPLETELY sufficient.

I am trying to think of my health decisions in terms of actions that are going to help me stay fit, healthy, and active for a long time, rather than trying to "cheat" on my diet, etc.

Ran yesterday and did water aerobics today. Water aerobics was an AWESOME workout! It was so fun! I will go back, probably not this Thursday but maybe next Tuesday.

Progress, not perfection. Gina: Love it!!

Gina
9-8-11, 1:57am
Thanks. That's one of my favorites. :)

I've been doing well for the most part, but have been falling down in preparing beforehand. That really makes a big difference.

I did discover this morning that just chopping a bunch of raw broccoli and a bit of onion, then sauteing it in a bit of oil, then mixing in an egg and then later a bit of cheddar cheese makes an astoundingly good 'omelette'. I'll probably have another in the morning. Fast and easy, and it's a serving of veggies. :)

For lunch I had a lovely stir-fry with a bit of burger, several baby bok chois, onion, mushrooms, a mild red chili pepper, seasoned with garlic, a dash of 5-spice and sugar, and a bit of soy sauce.

For dinner I had a large salad. Mostly my lettuce with some greens added. And a luscious sort of lowfat blue cheese dressing. I made it in the blender with ample blue cheese but a small amount of oil, water, vinegar and seasonings (onion, garlic, worchester sauce, cayenne, squeeze of lemon, parsley, and a bit of sage.)

Gotta go to Trader Joe's tomorrow to pick up some cream for making almond milk ice cream. It's hot here and I was really craving that today. A little cream makes it really worthwhile. I'm not counting calories, but am aware of them. The richness of a couple tablespoons of cream is worth it.

I am feeling really good lately, and have great energy. Perhaps because of this, perhaps not. It can't be hurting.

jania
9-10-11, 10:33am
Out of the last 7 days I went walking only 3 mornings, but I did spend 3 hours on Tuesday digging, lifting and dragging so I'm counting that as exercise too. Yoga, twice. So not such a great week but I did a little something. Each day is a new opportunity to succeed.

Rosemary
9-10-11, 2:31pm
I'm walking regularly again now that our disgusting summer weather is gone. Humid weather just drains all my energy, but as soon as there's a hint of fall chill in the air, I can't be still. Still doing zumba, strength, and have added a tai chi class.

Food-wise, generally doing well. I have leafy greens at least once every day, usually a serving of a cabbage-family vegetable daily as well. Lunch and dinner are both about 75% vegetables for me. I allowed myself a serious splurge when I met friends at a favorite cafe for lunch earlier this week. And let me tell you, it was tasty! (caramel apple cheesecake) Most of my snacks, though, are plain fruit.

Now that school is back in session and there are more quiet moments, I have been trying to get back into my meditation routine. I really needed it during the summer - but it just didn't happen. But both walking and chopping vegetables are good moving meditations for me.

Gina
9-14-11, 10:43pm
It's been 2 weeks since the start of Sept, and things are still going well. I've not been perfect, but I didn't expect myself to be. Good enough is good enough. :)

I spent most of today in the yard trimming a very large bush - or perhaps tree with many basal branches. There was a lot of sawing, cutting, walking, carrying, pushing, pulling etc, and yes, I also count that as exercise. Eventually I'll have to hire someone with a chainsaw to do the thicker branches. I also repotted some sage plants as a bonus. What I like about better eating is I seem to have much more energy for such tasks. If it had not gotten dark, I would have done more.

The eating is going well. Broccoli/onion frittata (or what I'm calling a frittata) for breakfast. Large salad for lunch, and for dinner, pasta with not many noodles and lots of veggies in the meat sauce (onion, garden tomatoes, mushrooms, anahiem chili), with romano cheese on top. Very flavorful, very filling. If I get hungry later, I may have some blender ice cream (nectarine/almond milk with a kiss of cream.)

When I get thristy, I've been enjoying orangades - 1 pint fizzy water with some orange juice (4T), plus a squeeze of lime, and some sweetener. It's very good and refreshing.

reader99
9-15-11, 6:22am
Here's an interesting article about a variety of health-promoting foods:
http://www.oprah.com/food/Superfoods-Ingredients-and-Recipes-for-a-Healthy-Diet?SiteID=ys_20110906_superfoods_to_incorporate_ into_your_diet

JaneV2.0
9-15-11, 2:58pm
This isn't a bad list--though its format is annoying--but I would have kicked spelt off (already covered under whole grains) and added organ meats, which are among the most nutrient-dense foods you can find.

fidgiegirl
9-15-11, 10:58pm
Went for a run AND a bike ride tonight. Glad I started Couch to 5K over again. I needed to - while week 1 was easy for me, the first day of week 2 wasn't.

Progress, not perfection! Gina, I'm adopting this as a kind of mantra for myself - I really need it as I tend to focus on what I didn't do rather than what I did, or what I did and shouldn't have done! :thankyou:

Rosemary
9-16-11, 5:59am
I've been doing well on exercise this week... but slipping on food. I know why... it's the busy-ness of the beginning of school... haven't had time to do as much food prep as usual, so the healthy foods I should eat when hungry haven't been immediately available. I'm going to the farmers' market today and will have time this afternoon to do some food prep.

fidgiegirl
9-16-11, 7:01am
Rosemary, I am glad you will have a chance to catch up on food stuff. I know I am always stressed when we don't have good foods ready to go. We always revert to that old standby, pasta, which mostly thanks to you I am realizing is not a good standby!!

Gina
9-16-11, 3:48pm
I was thinking of going to costco today but am dragging my feet. Trader Joe's, a much shorter trip, will have to suffice. I'm out of some veggies, and the 'healthy' greens in the garden aren't large enough to harvest yet.. getting closer however.

I didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked - guess staying up till 2am has it's drawbacks. :laff:

lhamo
9-16-11, 7:26pm
Not the best week for me. Had some health issues that kept me from working out the past couple of days. DS had an ear infection, too, which meant I only went swimming once (not as much fun for my DD when it is just her). Everyone is feeling better today, though DS is still coughing and sneezing. I shoudl be able to have a good workout today though. Good thing, as I have work scheduling issues most of next week that are going to make getting to the gym a challenge.

lhamo

jania
9-17-11, 10:30am
Well, I got in 5 mornings of walks out of 7 so I'm pleased with that but my goal of daily yoga just hasn't happened. I've been really hungry after I get home from work and after I eat yoga's just not the thing for me. It's interesting to me how months of good habits can get so out of commission by missing a few days. At least I know I can get in the groove again but the resistance is amazing.

Rosemary
9-17-11, 10:15pm
My tai chi class started on Thursday. I felt really, really fabulous afterward - this will be a great addition to my wellness routine.

fidgiegirl
9-18-11, 11:09am
jania, I find the same thing. I will go for weeks and weeks of doing good things for myself and then run up against some obstacle, much like lhamo was discussing, and just kind of stop.

Rosemary, score!

Here I am trying to be mindful of portions. We had French toast this morning, not the healthiest in and of itself, but I could have stuffed myself knowing that we will be eating lunch late today and I still would have been hungry before lunchtime. I have to remember that - I don't stay full any longer just because I eat more at a meal. It's about spreading them out, like I've been having success feeling satiated until lunch during the week if I eat my normal yogurt/granola/fruit bowl and then take a milk drink with me, or plan a mid-morning snack. I can so achieve it by eating more protein to stay full longer. But it's helping to realize that I don't have to stuff myself at any given meal, because there's no point, anyway.

Also did a run Thurs. and Sat.

On an unrelated note: WE GOT RAIN!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

fidgiegirl
9-19-11, 6:06pm
Went for a walk just now. Was supposed to be a run, but my dog gave me puppy eyes, so I took him. It's gorgeous and I couldn't put him back in the house :( But he is an old geezer and so he only could do a brisk walk, not a run. He is happy and is outside. I really wanted to run, but oh well.

Under my old, rigid approach to fitness, I would have failed in not doing a run. But with the attitude I'm trying to cultivate, it is a success. It was getting up, getting out, moving . . . rather than just sitting here on the couch (like I am now :laff:) and vegging in front of the computer.

My carb-fest of yesterday caught up with me today and I was craving fat or protein, I guess. I really wanted something greasy and meaty, or perhaps doughnut-y. But I held off, except for a little cookie here at home, because tonight I am going to Psycho Suzis with girlfriends. Plenty of opportunity for gluttony there. I certainly didn't need to walk to Superamerica to find any (as I was sorely tempted to do after lunch).

Gina
9-23-11, 1:01am
I've been doing relatively well eating healthy foods. Lots more vegetables that I formerly did. My garden greens are coming in, so I don't think I'll have to buy any more - at least for the winter.

I think I'm losing a bit of weight judging by my looser clothes. I don't use the scales so I don't know for sure. But that would be nice if it happens. Tonight I had nut-encrusted fish, green bean salad, and lettuce salad. And strawberry blender ice cream. Yummy.

I also want to drink a half glass of red wine daily, but often forget or just don't feel like it. Who needs alcohol when there are twinkies in the world? ;) I actually really do like wine, but it's not my weakness.

I've also decided I need to standardize my sleep instead of just going to bed whenever it hits my fancy. The general goal for that is to go to bed sometime between 10 and 11 every evening, and sleep till the cats get too obnoxious. I sleep so much better when I go to bed early, and feel so much better the entire next day.

domestic goddess
9-23-11, 12:52pm
You know, if you don't already drink, it is not really recommended that you start just to get your daily red wine in. I don't drink, either, but when I remember to buy it, I will drink a glass of grape juice. It contains at least some of the compounds that are considered beneficial. I often forget to buy some or the kids drink it up before I even get to it, but it is another thing to consider. Not white grape juice, but red or concord, I guess.

domestic goddess
9-23-11, 12:59pm
kelli, I'm an old geezer, too, so I know how your puppy feels. It has been cool and a little damp lately, so my knees are really feeling it. I feel like having my legs amputated above the knee and my feet just sewn on, like Frank Hill's dad on King of the Hill. I really wouldn't be walking any more stiff legged than I am now, anyhow. Stairs are a real challenge, since my knees don't want to bend. Have not been too successful in finding exercises that don't just stress them more. I'm sure I'm looking at replacements in a relatively short time, but everyone I know who has had their knees replaced wishes they had done it sooner, so I guess it will be okay.
Looks like most here are doing pretty well on their fitness goals. We all can't be perfect all the time, nor do we always get the perfect circumstances. What is important is not that we sometimes fall off the horse, but that we get back on!!

Gina
9-23-11, 1:23pm
You know, if you don't already drink, it is not really recommended that you start just to get your daily red wine in.
That's a good point - except I do drink and have since college days. :) It's just not something I normally do every day, though I think it's healthy in moderation. My parents were Italian and had wine every day at the mid-day main meal, so I grew up in that environment, though I was too young to drink then. I also have picked grapes and made wine for the fun of it, as my father did. However when I open a bottle of wine -and I am the only one drinking it- it can take more than a week to finish.

Years ago I had decided to drink the half glass of red wine/day and purchased a number of cases of Trader Joe's 2-Buck-Chuck when it first came out and people feared it was a limited deal. It was in it's prime (vintage 2000). I still have a few of those cases (in a wine/cheese fridge), and it is indeed good.

As to healthy eating, this morning I cooked up a large batch of veggie mix that will be mixed and cooked with a breakfast egg. Chopped onions, chilies, mushrooms, broccoli, parsley in this batch. After it's cooked down, I mix about a half cup of this with an egg, sometimes some sausage, or later melted cheese over the top. A very satisfying breakfast. :)

Gina
9-29-11, 1:22pm
As the end of the month approaches, I'm still doing well. Not perfect, and last Friday was a delightful disaster. I'm not as vigilent as at the beginning of the month, and am experimenting a bit too much with blender ice cream.... but still doing much better than a couple months ago. :)

I did standardize my sleep - for about 3 days, then forgot. Gotta get back to that since I sleep so much better when I don't stay up so late.

All in all, a very successful month.

madgeylou
9-29-11, 2:21pm
good job, gina!

i'm still holding strong on my diet over here. there have been a few nights of pizza and ice cream (stress eating!) but for the most part, my fella has been making sure that we eat healthy. i've only lost a few pounds this month, but honestly the fact that i haven't gained any weight with all the craziness that has been in my life in the last month is somewhat of a triumph!

3 pounds away from a big milestone, where the weight starts with a 1 instead of a 2! hoping i can make it there within a week ... wish me luck!

fidgiegirl
9-29-11, 6:27pm
Well done, Gina and madgeylou! Sending good thoughts your way to both of you!

jania
9-30-11, 9:50am
Well, I went on vacation and then got sick....so much for my fitness goals this month.

Rosemary
9-30-11, 3:50pm
Doing well on exercise this week, and came home from the farmers' market with a ton of fresh produce this morning. I'm prepping much of it now so that there won't be any need to go hunting for something good to eat this weekend.

Last night I had the oven on and roasted some sweet potatoes in advance, just because the oven was on... DD and I had them for breakfast. I sprinkled a few chopped walnuts and some cinnamon on mine (nothing else) and it was a fabulous breakfast that kept me fueled for about 5 hours.