PDA

View Full Version : What to bring in a backpack to celebrate an engagement?

herbgeek
9-2-11, 7:39am
My nephew tells me yesterday, that he's planning to propose to his girlfriend tomorrow on a family hiking trip. What could I bring - that would fit in a backpack- to officially welcome the girlfriend into the family?

I already have a couple of miniature champagne bottles and plastic champagne glasses packed, and will probably make or buy a card of some sort.

What else would you bring? Is there such a thing as a "Just Engaged" sash that I could give to her to wear while we finish the hike?

Mrs. Hermit
9-2-11, 9:56am
I'm glad you are celebrating the occasion. The sash sounds like a good idea. If you can't find one, fabric paint on purchased ribbon can be used to make one.

iris lily
9-2-11, 10:57am
Or make a silly Bride hat. Take a hiking cap (whatever that would be) and glue tulle and sparkles on it. These are readily available at crafts stores.

But if she's not that kind of girl. I think you've done quite enough to break out champagne, that's very nice!

treehugger
9-2-11, 11:38am
When I saw the question, my first suggestion was champagne, but you've already got that covered. Make sure someone has a camera, too. Enjoy the celebration!

Kara

fidgiegirl
9-2-11, 12:00pm
I was also going to suggest some kind of silly tiara/veil type thing.

Anne Lee
9-2-11, 12:18pm
Pin a sign to their backs, Just Engaged.

herbgeek
9-2-11, 1:18pm
thanks all! If I had time to go to a craft store, I'd get some tulle- but I think I will go with the just engaged sign. I was just at a conference a few weeks ago, and have an extra one of those badge holders- I'm going to craft up something now

babr
9-3-11, 7:32am
oh how sweet; to do it with you guys along; it says a whole lot about you and your family; warms my heart

Mrs-M
9-3-11, 4:58pm
I love the idea of pinning a (just engaged) sign to their backs. Frugal and effective.

herbgeek
9-5-11, 3:54pm
UPDATE-

We did a fairly strenuous hike Saturday afternoon, and we were all tired and very sweaty when arriving at the overlook. Some other people also arrived, and nephew waited for them to leave. Nephew got kind of nervous and was dragging out the asking process while I had to make excuses for why I still needed to hold on to the girlfriend's camera. Finally he asks, and completely surprises her. I got choked up. The champagne was a hit, and she really seemed to like the "Just Engaged" sign as she put it on the front of her backpack right away.

fidgiegirl
9-5-11, 5:22pm
Oh, thanks for letting us know how it went!! So fun!!!

Mrs-M
9-5-11, 5:31pm
Oh, lots of fun and excitement! Thanks for the update.

treehugger
9-6-11, 12:51pm
So, she said yes? ;) What a nice story, thanks for sharing that with us.

Bastelmutti
9-6-11, 1:52pm
That's great!!!! I was thinking it would be an awkward hike back down if she said no!

PS We were mini-golfing this weekend and one of the workers asked one of the patrons to homecoming on the loudspeaker while she was golfing - the flowers were hidden in the sculpture at the mini-golf hole. Very cute!

Amaranth
9-6-11, 2:26pm
Congratulations to them!

In case any one else knows of something similar being planned, two other things I know of are:
1) Have a picnic at the destination point and propose at the picnic.
2) Have a videographer go up to the destination spot about an hour before the main party. They can be farther away with telephoto lens.

We know someone who proposed to his girlfriend at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro. Fortunately she said yes as it's about 4 days climb back down. ;)