PDA

View Full Version : A night that has changed my live forever

MamaM
9-5-11, 2:57pm
Here in Texas, we are having some terrible wildfires. I have friends who have lost everything they own. We are currently trying to find homes for them and their animals. I sat up all last night, crying, praying, hoping, trying to figure out how to help. It was like a big whack to the head and my DOH moment. I want to find some land and make it a safe haven for people and animals when there is a crisis within the area. I just want a small home- jut enough for sleep, eat, shower and a few comforts. I am going for it. Last night was the THING that did it for me. I have NO clue how I am going to do this, but I feel this is what I am meant to do. Off to try to figure this all out. Thanks. :idea:

folkypoet
9-5-11, 3:37pm
How wonderful and exciting! It sounds to me like this is what you were meant to do, too. :o) Let us know here if you need anything from us - help with fund raising efforts, getting the word out (lots of Austinites around the board), writing grant proposals or press releases, and all the miscellaneous stuff that goes along with a project like this. What an adventure you're beginning! Best of luck!!

MamaM
9-5-11, 3:44pm
THANK YOU!!!!! I don't know where to begin but I am doing a lot of research and making contacts. I am off in a little to deliver some supplies to some animals friends. : )

Xmac
9-5-11, 6:37pm
MamaM, I'm part of an organization called Timebanks.org. The idea is that people trade services the way it is done in barter, the only difference is that time dollars are traded on a website. Everybody's time is of equal value whether you're a lawyer or a housesitter. I've seen people offer use of washers and dryers and other items too. Now, I also just heard about another website called couchsurfing.com in which people join a world wide community and offer a place to sleep for the night. Some people travel the world this way.
So if you were to take these ideas and combine them....maybe something great could be had. Since there are already a bazillion homes available maybe you could start a website that encouraged people to volunteer their homes or just a room. Or it could be like Timebanks in which there is a trade of service for temporary shelter. A displaced family could have shelter and food, depending on the agreement and then move onto another home. I can envision how deep friendships could be formed and a reigniting of community. This could help people who have been have had their homes foreclosed too.

Hope this is a germ of an idea you can use and/or transform.

MamaM
9-5-11, 8:46pm
Thank you XMAC...writing it all down. Much <3.

mermaid
9-27-11, 10:21pm
MamaM, I am in Austin so was watching the fires closely.

I want to find some land and make it a safe haven for people and animals when there is a crisis within the area.

There are lots of general pet rescues in Austin, but it sounds like you want to do something slightly different, so there may be a niche for you. Have you thought about looking into starting a non-profit/not-for-profit organization? I have a friend who runs a pet rescue organization. You have to have a board that has some power. I know it isn't easy, there is a lot of fund-raising to do, but she loves it.

Good Luck!

gimmethesimplelife
9-28-11, 1:06am
Here in Texas, we are having some terrible wildfires. I have friends who have lost everything they own. We are currently trying to find homes for them and their animals. I sat up all last night, crying, praying, hoping, trying to figure out how to help. It was like a big whack to the head and my DOH moment. I want to find some land and make it a safe haven for people and animals when there is a crisis within the area. I just want a small home- jut enough for sleep, eat, shower and a few comforts. I am going for it. Last night was the THING that did it for me. I have NO clue how I am going to do this, but I feel this is what I am meant to do. Off to try to figure this all out. Thanks. :idea:Bless you and best wishes to you and your new endeavour! I'm thinking this could be the start of a very positive direction for you. Rob

Jemima
9-28-11, 11:43pm
Here in Texas, we are having some terrible wildfires. I have friends who have lost everything they own. We are currently trying to find homes for them and their animals. I sat up all last night, crying, praying, hoping, trying to figure out how to help. It was like a big whack to the head and my DOH moment. I want to find some land and make it a safe haven for people and animals when there is a crisis within the area. I just want a small home- jut enough for sleep, eat, shower and a few comforts. I am going for it. Last night was the THING that did it for me. I have NO clue how I am going to do this, but I feel this is what I am meant to do. Off to try to figure this all out. Thanks. :idea:

I think this is a great idea and I hope you'll keep checking in with us. Brainstorming is a great way to start! I'd suggest getting as clear a picture in mind as you can and then go for it. Don't worry if that "picture" changes, and don't be surprised if your project takes on a life of its own. I've volunteered for several charity groups and the projects that were meant to happen, happened, often in miraculous ways.

One project was a computer lab for schoolchildren at a Presbyterian mission which was located in a poor neighborhood with a 28% illiteracy rate. A lot of these kids couldn't get help with their homework at home because their parents could neither read nor write. At the beginning I figured it would take a year or two to pull it together, but within nine months and the help of a few dedicated volunteers, we had a lab with twelve one year old name-brand computers donated by an electric company, several printers that were networked by a volunteer who had training in this area but needed experience to get a job as a network engineer (BTW, he got a job via another volunteer whose workplace needed a part-time network guy in the evenings), et cetera. I designed and maintained a website about the mission and basically told everyone I knew about what we were trying to do. The response was remarkable. People took one look at photos of the kids on the website and were ready to donate an arm or a leg. A total stranger gave me a network hub, which had been sitting in his office closet for months. The experience was transformative for me, personally, and the minister in charge will never forget it either.

So go for it, girl, and keep us in the loop! :+1:

Jemima
9-28-11, 11:46pm
MamaM, I'm part of an organization called Timebanks.org. The idea is that people trade services the way it is done in barter, the only difference is that time dollars are traded on a website. Everybody's time is of equal value whether you're a lawyer or a housesitter. I've seen people offer use of washers and dryers and other items too. Now, I also just heard about another website called couchsurfing.com in which people join a world wide community and offer a place to sleep for the night. Some people travel the world this way.
So if you were to take these ideas and combine them....maybe something great could be had. Since there are already a bazillion homes available maybe you could start a website that encouraged people to volunteer their homes or just a room. Or it could be like Timebanks in which there is a trade of service for temporary shelter. A displaced family could have shelter and food, depending on the agreement and then move onto another home. I can envision how deep friendships could be formed and a reigniting of community. This could help people who have been have had their homes foreclosed too.

Hope this is a germ of an idea you can use and/or transform.

That's no germ, that's an inspiration! Thanks for posting about Timebanks.org!