PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing in the safety net

WJSimon
9-5-11, 5:21pm
I want to express my complete gratitude to our government. Yes, the government!

I've lost everything. I'm terminally ill. I'm a single mom. And (so far) the safety net has worked for me.

The biggest obstacle has been my pride, pride, pride and dealing with the humiliation of having to ask for help.

But the government agencies I've had to deal with so far have (for the most part) been both compassionate and efficient.

First I spent all my retirement money on medical bills and had to apply for medical assistance to obtain treatment. Apart from many prescribed medications which are not covered, this has been a godsend to me.

Then sometime later I had to bite the bullet and apply for SSI. I was mortified, but again because my prognosis is so grim, I received approval right away. It's a small amount, but is enough for my daughter and I to eat and have heat and not stress about money every single day. Just a miracle!

So here's to the government. When I was needy and desperate, these agencies were there for me. I never would have believed it until I had to go down that road.

I'm not saving anymore, but still frugal. And so, so grateful.

Tradd
9-5-11, 5:47pm
So glad to hear! This is what the safety net is made for.

iris lily
9-5-11, 5:57pm
I'm glad that you've found things to work the way they are supposed to. The fact that you know how to live frugally is a big part of your success at making it work.

Other than the worry about you health I've been worrying about your daughter's legal status in relation to you brother. I know that this is none of my business but I just hope that there is iron-clad legal protection in keeping him away from her as her guardian. Fortunately I think she's old enough that a judge in a court of law would pay attention to what she has to say. This is all very sad, I am sorry.

leslieann
9-5-11, 7:38pm
I am glad to hear that the net did work for you. I recall a pretty torturous process of getting qualified for something-other some time ago, so it sounds like things got smoother. Lovely to "not stress about money" when you are working on healing! Thank you for the good report on how this system is working in your case.

Rosemary
9-5-11, 8:35pm
So glad to hear from you, and very happy to hear that the "system" is helping and that you haven't had trouble with getting approved for these benefits!

WorldFoodie
9-6-11, 10:59pm
Hi JWSimon :)
So very glad you've RETURNED! I also appreciate this post, in fact, I needed it today! (my health is not optimal)
Hope to see you around more, when you're feeling able.
Cheers, WorldFoodie

loosechickens
9-7-11, 1:22am
So glad the safety net was there for you, and most happy to know that tax dollars go for such things. None of us know when we may find ourselves in need of that net, for sure. I know the safety nets in this country have been shredded in many ways, and just glad that they worked in your case.

chrisgermany
9-7-11, 4:19am
Glad to hear from you and have you back at the forum, even though I have hoped your news to be better.
All the best to you and DD.

peggy
9-7-11, 9:30am
The whole 'government as enemy' was manufactured by the right to get folks whipped up and voting for them. The government isn't our enemy and you are proof. We are the government and the government is us. I am so glad it/we were there for you. This great nation is great because of cases like yours.
OK, off my soap box. But if you do need legal advice as iris says, I'm pretty sure the government can help you with that as well.

iris lily
9-7-11, 10:39am
The whole 'government as enemy' was manufactured by the right to get folks whipped up and voting for them. The government isn't our enemy and you are proof. We are the government and the government is us. I am so glad it/we were there for you...

And the meme of "this rich nation doesn't take care of its people" is equally manufactured by the left to get folks whipped up etc.

I remember another poster, someone who was a moderator here years ago, sincerely giving a public thanks for the quality of the government welfare service she had received. It had a big effect on me because I was glad to hear someone say Thank You in recognition of what does actually exist.

The constant drumbeat of "this country is awful, it can't do anything right, we need more MORE MORE money going to services and more MORE MORE cash taken from The Rich (undeserving evil bastards) to go to the deserving poor is wearing.

WJSimon
9-9-11, 4:24pm
Thank you for the wonderful, encouraging responses. Yes, the government is not our enemy!

And thank you Iris Lilly for asking about my daughter's future. We have a good close friend set up as her guardian and everything has been formalized legally. We worked together to make sure she would be comfortable with everything. No sue-happy uncles in her future, I hope. And that's a huge relief to have this settled.

I am currently on SSI. Nationally the monthly amount a disbled SSI recipient receives is $674 a month. Some states add additional monies to that, so the total for a California resident is $830.40.

Although I did work and pay into Social Security for 25 years, because I did not work at jobs that paid into Social Security for the four years before I became disabled (mostly part-time teaching jobs), I only qualify for SSI, not SSDI. If I did qualify for SSDI I would receive a bit more money plus additional money for my daughter. But we're fine and I'm very grateful for what we do receive.

My rough budget is:

$540 for all housing expenses including water, sewer, phone, heat, etc.
$100 for medical expenses & prescriptions not covered by Medicaid
$190 for food, school lunches and miscellaneous expenses.

We are fine but primarily because I have the huge advantage of having a house. I don't know how those with high rental expenses do this, although I do have a friend on SSI who has a subsidized apartment she pays just $175 a month for.

We also have three huge luxuries: internet, at $30 a month; a streaming-only Netflix subscription (we get no other TV reception), at $8.22 a month, and $80 a month (pricey I know, but well worth it to me now) for great school lunches for my daughter.

We also get help from friends in the form of free-range eggs from a friend's chickens, occasional great homemade meals which can last us for a few days, fruit from the farmer's market, things like that. So we're very fortunate and we're doing fine.

sallysue
9-9-11, 4:40pm
WJSimon, how has the transition back to public school from homeschooling gone for your daughter? I bet you are glad you homeschooled while you were able...good for you for listening to your heart and seizing the opportunity.

Spartana
9-9-11, 5:12pm
I'm so happy to hear that the Govmint safety net was there for you WJ. I hear of so many sad tales where people slip thru. I am a HUGE advocate of universal heathcare and am always enraged when I hear about the choices some have to make because they can not get, or afford, healthcare. No one should have to become deeply empoverished just to get basic healthcare for themselves or their family. We have socialized education for all (and for those with more money we have private school options) and we can have socialized healthcare for all too. To me, it is the mnost basic of human needs.

You may also want to check to see if any of your utility companies offer discounts for lower income people (here in Calif "low income" still a pretty high income). Many offer 20% or more discounts on your monthly bill as well as many services, like home repairs and appliance replacements, for free. There is also a program to defer property taxes until the home is sold. Also my city offers no-fee zero% loans for needed home improvements up to $50,000 and with no payments due until the home is sold. So check with your local providers, city and county as well as any other public services providers in your area because there may be alot more programs you are entitled to. Good Luck!!

catherine
9-9-11, 5:30pm
WJSimon, your happiness and gratitude for what you have is so truly inspiring. So many people would be crying the blues if were in your situation; never mind your struggles with your health--$190 for food and other expenses, and feeling fortunate to have $830 a month. From what I can recall, you've always been simple liver and may be used to living on very little, but even so, in addition to having the house, your attitude is what I would consider to be your biggest asset. You are a blessing to your daughter and to the rest of us.

Florence
9-9-11, 5:40pm
catherine said beautifully what I wanted to tell you. You are in our hearts and thoughts.

Spartana
9-9-11, 5:46pm
catherine said beautifully what I wanted to tell you. You are in our hearts and thoughts.

What Cathrine said - a 1000 times!

JaneV2.0
9-9-11, 8:58pm
Hooray for a strong safety net, and hooray for you, WJ!

margene
9-9-11, 11:32pm
It's so good to hear from you. I wondered about you often.

gail_d
9-10-11, 1:39am
Glad to see you back here!

RosieTR
9-10-11, 11:15pm
Glad to hear you back on the forums, WJ! Your spirit is just so inspiring, what a legacy to give your daughter. We all wish you the best of luck on everything and happy that things are going more smoothly for you.