PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here sell on Etsy?

frugalone
9-5-11, 9:45pm
For a time now, I've been considering selling my artwork on Etsy.

However, it seems to be that it would be a real long shot if one could actually make money doing so. When you add in the time photographing, packaging, mailing, etc., well...I have reservations.

Please feel free to private message me if you don't want to discuss on the board. But I'd be very interested in your opinions etc.

Thank you!

Merski
9-6-11, 7:29am
I'm currently setting up an etsy shop for vintage items. Why not try it and give yourself a year deadline to see if it's worthwhile...

Jemima
9-6-11, 12:33pm
I tried it, but had no success selling costume jewelry. The last time I looked over the Etsy site several months ago, it seemed to me that you also had to buy some rather expensive advertising ($7 a day to be featured) to attract attention. Making jewelry is a fun and occasional hobby for me, so making that kind of investment didn't seem like a good idea.

Since the listing fees are low, I may try again later and populate my store with additional craft items, but I'm just too busy at the moment. I expect I'd have more success and fun just selling at local craft and flea markets, like one that's coming up for the volunteer fire department this October.

I'm not sure if OneHeart made the transition to this new board, but you might try contacting her if she's still listed as a member. She seemed to be having some success selling fine (gold and silver) specialty jewelry on Etsy.

Float On
9-6-11, 12:49pm
We had another discussion about Etsy awhile back, maybe look a little further. I know I posted about it - for some people it works great and is easy money, blogging helps, doing give aways on other blogs helps. Its a lot of work. I use it fall-christmas to make some extra sales but haven't 'worked' it year round.

Float On
9-6-11, 1:11pm
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?1905-Selling-on-etsy&highlight=Etsy

See if that works, that was the other thread about Etsy.

frugalone
9-6-11, 5:26pm
Thanks, everyone! I'm off to check out the other thread.

I did a craft show a while back, at my former employer's. Did pretty well. I actually am thinking of two shops, one for my jewelry and the other for mixed-media collage stuff.

I like the idea of giving it a try for a year.

Paopao021
9-18-11, 11:30pm
yes! i think it is a great idea.. thanks for posting here!