PDA

View Full Version : News from HoosierNan

Amaranth
1-10-11, 2:59pm
Some encouraging news:

Hi! I've been home from the hospital for a while now, but I haven't had consistent internet access. I am at work today for a half day, to see how it goes; may be here only 3 days this week.

In the meantime, until I get an account set up at the new location, you can tell everyone that the surgery went very well; I'm at home, had my son with me off and on and he helped a bunch, and I'm trying it back at work for half days for a little while, probably back full time next week.

CathyA
1-10-11, 3:54pm
Thanks Amaranth. It sounds like good news! I'm glad Nan is getting around a bit. And I'm glad her son is helping her. Please send her our good wishes for a complete recovery! We'll look forward to hearing from her again.

HoosierNan
1-10-11, 8:42pm
Hi! Just completed the registration process. Glad to be back with y'all again.

The half day at work went extremely well. I didn't walk around much--walking and standing are still making me dizzy--but I felt very good and told everyone that I will be in for 1/2 days all this week for sure.

For those who don't know my story: Within about a 2-week period of time, I found a breast lump, went to the ob/gyn, who found blood in the stool, and did blood tests. Next thing I knew, I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer, stage 4 colon cancer, diabetes, and anemia (probably secondary to the colon tumor). Prior to that, I thought that I was perfectly healthy with just a few age-related health quirks. I will start chemotherapy sometime in February, which is for the spreading colon cancer and might just shrink the breast cancer as well.

The diabetes doctor was impressed that I got my blood sugar numbers down to normal pretty consistently, and is weaning me off the insulin and on to other meds. The colon resection went very well, zero complications. I will be driving as soon as I can do without the pain meds--probably Monday of next week.

All in all, doing much better than anyone expected.

Mighty Frugal
1-10-11, 9:10pm
So happy to hear you are doing well. Yahoo on a successful surgery and all the best during chemo! I love your attitude! Please keep us posted.

Mrs-M
1-10-11, 10:55pm
I'm so happy to hear from you HoosierNan. (Been thinking about you every day). Sending a warm hug your way to comfort you and with any luck add a smile to your day, just as I will continue showering you with healing prayers and well wishes. Your SL friend Mrs-M.

herbgeek
1-11-11, 8:07am
That's awesome news Nan! I have been thinking about you and wondering how you were. Glad you are back in our little community!

iris lily
1-11-11, 9:41am
Nan I am so glad to hear some positive news in all of this. Thanks for updating us.

razz
1-11-11, 9:48am
Wishing you well as you go forward. Keep us in the loop as we are cheering you through all of this.

kally
1-11-11, 12:38pm
Glad things are getting straightened out for you. Hang in there and take it as easy as you can.

beckyliz
1-11-11, 2:45pm
Wow, Hoosiernan! I missed the information about your health situation. So glad to hear you're on the mend. Sounds like your docs are on the ball.

dado potato
1-11-11, 5:04pm
My dear wife recently passed the 5-year mark since her mastectomy. Be careful with dizziness... hopefully "the powers that be" at work can accommodate you, if standing is a problem. There are portable stools that may go with you where you need to be on the job. I join with the rest in wishing you health and wholeness in "your new normal".

Cyber flower bouquet (lilies and roses) --> Hoosiernan

Anne Lee
1-11-11, 7:58pm
So glad things are going well for you! Still wish I could drop by a casserole or run some errands for you. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers.

HoosierNan
1-11-11, 9:12pm
Thanks again, everyone! Dado, I sit at work, everything is either computer or on the telephone, so no problem there. The other gymp and I, however, have the offices farthest from the parking lot, LOL! Our CFO had foot surgery, so she is on the "I'm doing the best I can" list as well.

My son has gone home again. Although living alone gives a lot of flexibility, it is lonely. I have people to call, but that's not the same as a warm body in the same physical space, somehow.

I go in on Tuesday for a PET scan to look for the extent of the colon cancer spread, then see the oncologist the following Friday, and then I will have an estimate of when chemotherapy will start.

Two folks from work came and cleared snow from my porch and walk today. I felt like crap last night and today, and we had an awful snowstorm--so I took today as a sick day, and I will try to go in 1/2 day Wed and Thurs. Will probably take Friday as my floating holiday for MLK Jr Day, and go in to work at least 1/2 day on Monday. I don't want to overdo it, but I'm lonely!

leslieann
1-14-11, 11:17am
Gosh, Nan, I somehow missed this when first posted! I am so happy to hear from you, and also happy that you are monitoring yourself and your energy levels carefully. Lonely can be hard, for sure. Seems like there might be a middle way between being lonely and alone at home and going to work with the marathon walk from the parking lot! It is good to get back into normal routines, though, after a big life change.

Again, I am so glad to see your posts and wish you well.

peggy
1-14-11, 3:07pm
We are certainly glad to get this update! I'm relieved you are doing so well. Keep us in the loop.

Bastelmutti
1-14-11, 7:42pm
Wishing you all the best in your journey to recovery!

Reyes
1-14-11, 8:22pm
So glad to hear from you!

baybay
1-15-11, 2:09pm
Wow! I didn't see your update before the switch and I can't imagine the emotional and physical rollercoaster you must have been experiencing to get all that news within such a short period of time.

So glad you are recovering well from your surgery and are gearing up for the chemo. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for sure. I'm sorry that you are lonely now that your son has returned home. I'm helping a woman in my area with cancer and you may want to see if there are resources in your area that might have volunteers come over to your home to clean or cook you a meal or simply keep you company for a few hours. This will probably become especially important as you start chemo and may not be feeling well.

Thank you for keeping us updated and know that you have a whole group of people sending warm healing thoughts your way. :cool:

Heidi
1-15-11, 2:52pm
you may try the American Cancer Society webpage www.cancer.org They have listings of their services available in your local area. You are in my thoughts and prayers

HoosierNan
1-21-11, 2:40pm
Well, I have been in the world of relapse. Saw the oncologist today, who said that I am experiecing a "bump in the road" because "your whole body has been traumatized by the colon surgery." (That seems right, the way I've been feeling.)

Anyway, he looked over my meds, looked at what I've been eating, made some very specific recommendations to get the bowels functioning normally again. And told me to BE PATIENT (which has never been my strength, LOL!).

We also went over the results of the PET scan. Essentially, the colon cancer has spread only as far as we had thought. He thinks the chemotherapy has a very good chance of wiping out most of what is there. And that the chemotherapy may make the breast cancer shrink to lumpectomy size. In 2-3 weeks I will start chemo--another adventure, I'm sure.

However, due to the relapse, I'm slowing down on my return to work plans. Taking it slower. As crazy as that makes my little Type A soul.

Mrs-M
1-21-11, 3:47pm
I haven't stopped thinking about you HoosierNan. You are on my mind constantly. Prayers, well wishes, good thoughts of healing and happiness, everything. Sending you a warm gentle hug to help brighten your day.

dado potato
1-23-11, 10:39am
Warm wishes. I hope the oncologist takes/took time to discuss the pros and cons of different chemo combos, and the decision is/was aligned with your wishes, Nan. Also, you may have some choices as to where the infusion will be done. If so, you might want to consider travel distance, privacy, view out the window (or not). I went with my DW, and was just a watchful presence and chauffeur. Some folks prefer solitutude.

Anyhow, darlin, I can make you a Prayer Star. I'll start it after the grandchildren go home.

HoosierNan
1-31-11, 2:37am
RELAPSE: I was re-admitted to the hospital on Friday. I have been having constant abdominal pain and unable to have a bowel movement for about a week. Vomitting. Have not yet started chemotherapy, so this is probably something to do with the surgery.

Since being re-admitted to the hospital, I have received iron supplement intravenously, as well as nutrition and normal saline and pain meds and anti-nausea medications. And lots of laxatives. To date, no bowel movements. So we will see what my oncologist and surgeon think on Monday as to the next step.

Very frustrating. The oncologist is calling this a "bump in the road;" I'm thinking it is a pretty big hill, myself.

CathyA
1-31-11, 8:09am
I'm so sorry to hear this Nan! As the saying goes "when you're going through hell.....keep on going!" I know this is very difficult for you. Just keep having good, healing thoughts and I'm sure you'll get through this! My thoughts are with you!

Kat
1-31-11, 8:35am
(((HoosierNan))) You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully your doctors will figure out what is going on soon so they can get you on the road to recovery.

leslieann
1-31-11, 8:36am
Hi, Nan,

It sounds pretty lousy right now. I hope those pain meds are doing their job on the abdominal pain and that things start moving soon. Interesting how one person's "bump" can really feel like a long uphill slog when it is you doing the slogging. See if you can turn your thoughts toward light and peace and healing and comfort, even in the midst of all of that hospital stuff, so that your mind remembers the way to go and can help your body get there. Sometimes it helps to see if you can notice a place in your body that feels okay, or even good, even a little tiny place, and focus some attention there, inviting that okay feeling to spread out and open up.

I am sending wishes for comfort and something to make you laugh and positive movement toward your healing for today. Thanks so much for posting your update.

chrisgermany
1-31-11, 8:55am
Sending good wishes. I hope the doctors find out how to improve this.

Stella
1-31-11, 9:30am
((((Hoosiernan)))) Praying for you!

razz
1-31-11, 9:32am
((((Hoosiernan)))) Praying for you!

Same for me.

Bastelmutti
1-31-11, 10:58am
Sending healing thoughts for this problem to be resolved!

danna
1-31-11, 8:51pm
Hoosiernan: Hoping today was a better day and things got moving (that is the worsed)
Hopfully the doctors had some answers for you?
Good thoughts and prayers are being sent you way.

Kestrel
1-31-11, 9:49pm
Sending good thoughts and prayers from Idaho, along with all the others.

loosechickens
1-31-11, 10:47pm
yeah, amazing how the one who isn't experiencing it can see it as a "bump" when the one who is in the middle of it KNOWS that's it's a VERY steep hill.

hope you feel better soon.

Wildflower
2-1-11, 4:41am
Hoosiernan, continuing to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything gets better for you ASAP. Hugs.

daisy
2-2-11, 10:56am
I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well and hope you're feeling better ASAP!

Aspen
2-6-11, 7:33pm
Blessings for your health and recovery! Goodness, what a whammy.

dado potato
2-7-11, 3:38am
Healing and Wholeness

HoosierNan
2-9-11, 3:33pm
You folks are probably getting sick of hearing my "organ recitals," but I am having one setback after another. My liver started to shut down about 2 weeks ago, and I was hospitalized again. The liver numbers continue to be bad. A follow-up CT scan shows a blocked bile duct, so early next week I will be going in for a laporoscopic surgery to open it up, maybe put in a shunt, so that this can be fixed better.

My first round of chemotherapy, at 1/2 concentration, was done at the hospital. No side effects from it, which is just AMAZING to me, because the chemo is what I was most afraid of. But the doctors seem to be on top of everything and I'm slowly on the mend. My son went home this afternoon, so I am alone again, but I'm able to walk, stand, cook, wash dishes, etc.

Simpler at Fifty
2-9-11, 5:30pm
I am happy you are able to move around a little. I am sure the liver bile duct surgery will go well. Love the 'organ recitals' reference. Good you still have a sense of humor.

dado potato
2-13-11, 2:00am
Hang in there, kid!

gimmethesimplelife
2-13-11, 2:03am
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery - and your feeling better ASAP!!!!! Rob

leslieann
2-13-11, 7:53am
Big hug to you, Nan. ((((((Nan))))))).....glad that the chemo didn't meet your expectations!

Anne Lee
2-13-11, 8:19am
Nan, I'm glad the chemo went better than expected and the liver problem can be fixed. Continuing in prayer and good wishes for you!

early morning
2-18-11, 9:02pm
(((Nan))) thinking of you daily - wishing you the best.

Fawn
2-18-11, 9:20pm
I also, missed this thread.

I am holding thoughts of your healing: physically and the loneliness to subside.

((((HoosierNan))))

Don't hesitate to ask for pain/nausea/other symptom medications. Just because you are going to be well again doesn't mean that you have to suffer.....

HoosierNan
2-21-11, 3:37pm
Well, about a week ago I got a stent put in to keep the liver bile duct open. It has improved my condition to an unbelievable extent! I was able to drive myself to church, stand for all the standing parts (Lutheran liturgy, LOL), and pump gas on the way home.

I go in for the next dose of chemo on March 2nd (Wed), and I am getting lots of anti-nausea drugs. I'm only using pain meds at night to sleep, along with a low-dose pain medication patch that gets changed every 3 days.

I will be in for at least 1/2 days this week; scheduled for all day on Friday. They are letting me take it very easy at work, which is all sit-down stuff, anyway. My workplace, church, and local family have been great at helping out.

redfox
2-21-11, 4:02pm
SO glad to hear this! Hugs (gently) and Blessings!!!

Mrs-M
2-22-11, 1:15pm
Continuing my prayers and well wishes for you HNan. A warm and gentle hug in hopes of adding a little comfort and happiness to your day. (Always in my thoughts).

Gardenarian
2-23-11, 6:23pm
Wow, I can't believe you are still working! Your bravery is truly inspiring.
I hope things only get better!

baybay
2-24-11, 5:35pm
Thanks for the update Nan and so glad to hear that the stent made such a positive difference for you.

It's also good to hear that you're feeling supported since that will only help your recovery too. Consider me one of your many online supporters as well who are continuing to pray for you and send you warm, healing thoughts as you continue to recover.