PDA

View Full Version : Projects for Worn Out Reusable Shopping Bags

Jemima
9-6-11, 2:41pm
Some years ago I bought four reusable polypropelene shopping bags from a big chain grocery store that advertised them as recyclable. Now I find out that they aren't recyclable anything of the kind. >:(

The plastic bottoms shattered and became useless long ago, and the straps are so long the bags drag on the ground when I carry them in my hands. I used to carry one over my shoulder, but now experience too much pain from tendonitis to do that.

While I'm tempted to take them back to the store and stuff them in the plastic bag recycle bin with a nasty note, they'll probably just be thrown away and so I was wondering if anyone had some craft ideas for using this fabric? It seems to be a lot like felt (non-woven, won't ravel at the edges if cut), but lighter and washable. These particular bags are forest green.

Christmas decorations, maybe? Any other ideas?

KayLR
9-6-11, 3:50pm
If they are that worn, I would probablycut them up and use them as weed barrier out in my yard. Between my garden beds.

Jemima
9-6-11, 11:43pm
I never thought of that. The dark green wouldn't be noticeable, either. Thanks for the idea!

Mrs-M
9-9-11, 4:50pm
How about for tying up tomatoes and beans to stakes? (Just cut into strips). Perfectly reusable and environmentally friendly!

Selah
9-15-11, 8:24am
Wrapping paper for gifts where you think the person might use it again for their own wrapping paper? Eventually it might get thrown away by someone, but at least it'll have a few more uses out of it. My mother and I routinely use ribbons and bows back and forth over the years for gifts.