PDA

View Full Version : Dorating with food while keeping it edible

Amaranth
9-6-11, 2:44pm
Do you have ways of decorating with food yet it remains edible?

One of the things I've always loved about Williamsburg is the decorating of the doors with wresths of natural ingredients during the holidays. However I have noticed that most of the ways they attach the food items make the food inedible.

So what are ways to decorate with food and eat it too?

A few of my favorites:

A bowl of mixed red and green apples at Christmas

Dill flowers in a drinking glass vase. In this case I use a drinking glass so I don't have to worry about any residue from nonedible flowers used in a regular vase.

Gardenarian
9-8-11, 5:10pm
If you use scallions (green onions) you can keep them in a glass of water on the counter. They will stay fresh (and grow roots!) for weeks, and look very pretty.

Mer05
9-10-11, 4:00pm
The last two years, I've bought a white pumpkin for a fall table centerpiece, then later turned it into cookies, bread, pancakes, etc. This year, "later" was Memorial Day weekend - those things keep forever!

Marianne
9-10-11, 7:11pm
The last two years, I've bought a white pumpkin for a fall table centerpiece, then later turned it into cookies, bread, pancakes, etc. This year, "later" was Memorial Day weekend - those things keep forever!

Yes! A big basket filled with patty pan, acorn and butternut squash, too. Nuts, little cello bags with dried fruits, candies, cookies. Okay, now I have to go find something to munch on...

Maxamillion
9-11-11, 12:18am
I want to plant garlic in the garden, so that I can have garlic scapes, both to eat and to use as flower arrangements.