1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups sugar
6 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease 16-cup tube pan. Dust pan with cake flour; tap out excess flour.
Sift flour, baking soda and salt into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl at medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add sugar and beat 5 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until combined after each addition. Beat in lemon juice and peel. Using rubber spatula, mix in dry ingredients. Mix in sour cream.

Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake cake until tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on rack 15 minutes. Cut around cake in pan. Turn out cake.

Carefully turn cake right side up on rack and cool completely.

Lemon Glaze
1. Melt ¼ cup butter in microwave
2. Sift 2 cups powdered sugar in large bowl
3. Add butter to powdered sugar
4. Add 2 tablespoonsful lemon juice
5. Add 2 teaspoonsful lemon zest
6. Stir until smooth and creamy
7. If too thick add a few drops milk, if too thin add a little more powdered sugar.
8. Drizzle over cake.

Float On
9-6-11, 3:57pm
Similar to my lemon blueberry cake. I even add a package of instant vanilla pudding for extra moistness to the cake and then I stir in a cup of fresh blueberries. I add a tiny bit of vanilla to the glaze as well. I make lemon blueberry bundt cake for church almost once a month - always a favorite.

CathyA
9-6-11, 4:01pm
Sounds delicious! How can you go wrong with that much butter/sugar/sour cream. lol!

Florence
9-6-11, 4:52pm
Sounds delicious! How can you go wrong with that much butter/sugar/sour cream. lol!

Not to be shared with your cardiologist!!:laff:

CathyA
9-6-11, 5:48pm
LOL! It will be our little secret!

iris lily
9-6-11, 9:04pm
sounds lovely, I'm in the mood for a lemon cake.

I had to look up "tube pan" and I see that I have one, a bundt pan.

Mrs-M
9-7-11, 2:08am
Shame on you Florence! :) But truthfully, I needed this, and will post again after I make it. Thank you!

Mrs-M
9-7-11, 2:10am
Float On. Mmmm... your additions sound delicious!

domestic goddess
9-7-11, 11:21am
Ooh, this does sound good! With all that lemon zest, it should be good and lemony! Think I will add it to my baking for this week.

Florence
9-7-11, 1:48pm
Ooh, this does sound good! With all that lemon zest, it should be good and lemony! Think I will add it to my baking for this week.

Yes, the lemon zest is the secret ingredient!! If you make it, let us know how it turns out.

iris lily
9-29-11, 9:47pm
Tell me why I have to sift this cake flour. I don't have a sifter. What will happen to the cake if I don't sift? I'm not much of a baker, ya know.

I have all of the ingredients assembled for this cake and I think it will be lovely, but the sifting is a problem.

JaneV2.0
9-29-11, 10:22pm
If you have a big wire strainer, that should work as a sifter. Just make sure no big lumps go into the batter. Not that I know diddly about baking myself...

CathyA
9-30-11, 7:37am
If you have a whisk, just use that to fluff up the flour. That's pretty much how things are "sifted" these days. Or just use a fork to fluff it up at bit. The only difference not sifting might make is the cake will be a little heavier. Don't worry about it.

Florence
9-30-11, 5:14pm
Worry not Iris!! You can skip the sifting without noticing any difference!! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Florence
10-1-11, 3:30pm
Well, Iris, how did it turn out??

iris lily
10-1-11, 5:11pm
oh rat, haven't made it yet! stay tuned.

kentvogel
10-7-11, 6:15am
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Butter, or spray with a nonstick spray, a 9 inch (23 cm) spring form pan and then line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer) beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and pale in color (about 3 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and then add to the batter along with the lemon juice. Mix only until incorporated.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset spatula. Bake about 40 - 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool, then gently remove the sides of the pan.

Merski
10-7-11, 8:31am
I printed out this recipe. MIL just loves lemon based sweets and so do I. DH just brought home 16 lemons from costco! Will also update when done!

Merski
10-9-11, 1:23pm
Made this today and it kinda collapsed in the oven. The cake was very dense and good. Didn't make icing on recipe since it had even more butter in it. Heated lemon juice to very hot and stirred in enough confectioner's sugar to get it to drizzle on the cake. This recipe did not have any baking powder in it. Is that an omission? I don't get what you mean kentvogel, are those your changes in the basic recipe? I might be reluctant to make this again except for a holiday when I can justify all the butter and calories!

CathyA
10-9-11, 2:55pm
I bought the ingredients to make this cake this weekend, but I'm having a little (a LOT) trouble controlling my eating.......so I'm going to wait....maybe until my son is home and he'll help eat it. I love to cook/bake, but dang......I eat most of it!
Can't wait to try this.