PDA

View Full Version : Wellness Report

HappyHiker
9-7-11, 9:25pm
Just checking in to say that I feel fine. No complaints, just a few, normal signs of aging (a creaky knee). I eat pretty well, do a daily work-out at the gym, follow a yoga practice, and have an optimistic outlook--especially when I avoid most of the media news.

How about you?

Feeling fit and looking forward to Fall?

How do you support your wellness of body, mind and spirit??

Mrs-M
9-8-11, 1:00am
Believe it or not, at least this is what I've come to believe, because I seldom have a chance to sit and relax, my body stays pain-free. I know that probably sounds completely and totally off-the-wall, but I honestly believe there's something to it, at least in my case. Even my husband says so (about me).

Sometimes he'll say to me, "don't you ever feel aches or pain", and although I do (after long tiring days doing domestic things), I always seem to bounce right back. So for me, I support the wellness of my body, mind, and spirit, through staying active and always keeping busy.

ctg492
9-8-11, 5:50am
I feel good too at 50. I try to eat well, I work out daily and try to keep a positive attitude. I know out of my control it could all change in the blink of an eye and I never forget that for a moment.
I wonder if many issues with someones well being are lack of attitude sometimes, not true medical of course. My SIL the first line she says on the phone is "oh boy, I am having....." Knee issues, tired,feel bad,you name it. Goes to the doctor weekly for something. I want to say go outside, smell the air, take a walk and maybe you will have a better feeling day or at least a good few minutes.

Gardenarian
9-8-11, 3:02pm
Thanks for asking, HH!

I have two chronic condition to handle, a seizure disorder and interstitial cystitis. My goal is to keep my meds to a minimum and avoid doctors. I reduced my seizure meds when I was pregnant with dd, and have kept it to just one medication since then. That means that I have to be vigilant about getting enough sleep, exercise, eating properly, and avoiding triggers (like extreme temperatures, bright lights, alcohol, and stress.)

Interstitial cystitis is also known as "painful bladder disease", and it is really a bear! I have had it for over 25 years and so am pretty good at managing it. I read a book not long ago that was quite inspiring: 10 simple solutions to chronic pain : how to stop pain from controlling your life by Blake H. Tearnan. I highly recommend it to anyone dealing with pain. I rarely take any pain medication, but I'm not a martyr either, so I have some on hand for those very bad flare ups.

Also coping with the relatively mild effects of menopause - the hardest is that I am sometimes experiencing insomnia, which effects my seizure disorder. Keeping a positive attitude, doing visualizations, meditating, using a gratitude journal - I have found all these very helpful. I also walk a few miles a day, practice yoga when I can (usually 3-4 times per week) and spend a lot of time outdoors. I went back to a complete vegetarian diet a year ago, and it really agrees with me.

Having a 12-year-old and 2 dogs to play with also keeps me feeling good!

I am really looking forward to the fall. I am going away for a week to take a Permaculture course - it will be the first time I've gone off on my own in a very long time! I am also going to be taking a drawing course that I'm really psyched about. DD is doing some fun homeschool stuff too - it's great that she is older and I can learn right along with her.

frugal-one
9-8-11, 3:16pm
I'm doing much better! I recently had heart arrhythmias and was told to take meds. I told them to forget the meds. I researched and found my triggers. If I avoid those triggers I am fine. I also walk the recommended 10,000 steps a day and keep busy. Last year I had pneumonia and am now researching how to build up my immune system so that does not happen again. Today I made a natural remedy called the "Cold Kicker". It will be ready to use in a month. I'll let you know if it works. A gal I know that has 11 children used this for her husband who had bronchitis and he did not have to see a doc.

HappyHiker
9-8-11, 3:53pm
This is why I love this forum--fellow posters who are aware, brave and taking charge of their own wellness...!

San Onofre Guy
9-9-11, 11:24am
Due to a better diet, my blood pressure(still on meds) is much lower than it has been for many years. My Cholesterol has dropped from 237 to 207, I never want to go on a statin and I am confident that I can get it below 180 on a good diet and exercise. My allergies are all but gone which I attribute once again to diet and especially elimination of milk except for cheese. My meat intake has dropped to such an extent that I only have meat or fish about 2-3 times per week. My only issue is a left knee which is painful on steep descents after 4-5 miles of hiking.

treehugger
9-9-11, 12:10pm
From a comprehensive panel of blood tests 3 weeks ago, I can report that I am contuing to live just fine with only one kidney (since 12/09). I don't even miss it!

Thanks to my daily 1/2 iron pill, my mild, age-related anemia is under control (I just gave blood 2 weeks ago and passed that test easily).

Thanks to my 1500 mg of Niacin daily and good (mostly) diet and exercise habits, my inherited high cholesterol is under control.

Kara

JaneV2.0
9-9-11, 12:53pm
No complaints here. I should be moving more, as always. But I'm happy with everything else.

catherine
9-9-11, 1:14pm
I'm with Jane... I know I need to do more exercise, but otherwise, I'm happy to feel really good (at 59). By the time my mother was my age, she had had a gall bladder removed, a hysterectomy, her teeth removed and replaced with dentures (in her 20s!), a brain aneurysm that nearly killed her, surgery to remove a cyst on her breast, and mental instability. At my age, my father had been dead for 17 years due to heart failure/alcoholism. I have one brother with a pacemaker, one brother with terrible back issues and a cane, and another brother who is severely alcoholic (recovering--just for today), living on a farm for homeless veterans.

I do what Thich Nhat Hanh says and every day I thank my liver, my lungs, my brain, etc. I also eat pretty well, and I just enjoy life.

JaneV2.0
9-9-11, 2:03pm
I thank my sturdy body on a regular basis, too. Even though I've never heard of Thich Nhat Hanh. Off to Google...