PDA

View Full Version : Permaculture

Gardenarian
9-8-11, 4:00pm
I'm very excited to be enrolled in a Permaculture Design Course this fall. The people who teach the course have a video introduction to permaculture on YouTube. I got a lot out of watching it and thought some here might enjoy it.
Here's the link: http://midwestpermaculture.com/self-study-more/18-part-youtube-series/case-for-permaculture/

I'd love hear about your experiences with permaculture!

peggy
9-8-11, 5:45pm
Oh I am so interested in this. I'm off to watch the video. Thanks for posting it.

larknm
9-11-11, 5:31pm
We took a course in it and bought land someone had done it on for 5 years, and were real into it--then the drought made it impossible to grow things where we were, and we found out after the fact that the people who had the land before us had left it because it was too dry to grow stuff. But if you have the money for livestock and plants and all--I think it's the best way to go.

Marianne
9-11-11, 6:40pm
We're rural now and things are different here than in the city. I tried to have the same style of gardening here, many flops, some outright failures. Now I'm working with the area I'm in and it's getting easier! I accept the fact that since I'm sandwiched in between two farm fields, my back couple of acres are always going to have volunteers of what was planted in the cultivated fields the previous year, wheat, milo, etc. Now I'm okay with it, free food for the hens, right?
I have been a big permie fan for a long time. Now I have more flowers and plants that are native to this alkaline soil and well water, letting bermuda and buffalo grass go to seed, etc. It makes life so much easier.

Stacy
9-21-11, 10:47pm
Gardenarian,
That sounds wonderful! I hope you have a good time. I just learned about Midwest Permaculture this summer and hope to take their course one of these years. In the meantime, I'm reading Gaia's Garden and anything I can find online.

KayLR
9-22-11, 1:51pm
thanks for sharing that link!