PDA

View Full Version : Name of folk singer?

iris lily
1-10-11, 9:28pm
I'm trying to remember the name of a fairly well known folk singer who was prominent in the ?1950's? and 1960's but who performed through the 70's and 80's; I'm fairly sure that he performed thorugh some of the 1990's because I rememb erlooking him up and he had a gig in a school. He probably died in the 1990's.

He might have been Canadian.

He was chubby and--I think-- had a beard. He was not Burl Ives but would have been a contemporary of Ives.

I've looked thorugh lists of folksingers on the web and cannot identify this guy. One of my relatives was married to him for a while.

Suggestions?

redfox
1-10-11, 9:49pm
Stan or Garnet Rogers?

Alan
1-10-11, 9:53pm
Hmmm,,,, Woodie Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Tom Paxton, Tim Hardin, Rod McKuen, Harry Chapin, Phil Ochs?

If not one of them, I'm at a loss.

Mrs-M
1-10-11, 10:38pm
Come on Iris, give us a little more. :~) How old was he when he died?

Willie P. Bennett
Charles Wesley Pedley
Dermot O'Reilly
John Martyn (Born Iain David McGeachy).
Liam Clancy (Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem).
My knowledge of Folk Singers is minimal (to say the least), so I'm throwing names at you in hopes of...

Mrs-M
1-10-11, 11:00pm
One more to add, Bert Sommer.

catherine
1-11-11, 7:29am
Can you remember any of his songs?

CathyA
1-11-11, 8:34am
Was Roger Whitaker canadian?

iris lily
1-11-11, 9:40am
Thanks for you suggestions, but none of these are right.

Gregg
1-11-11, 10:20am
Can you hum a few bars? Remember any songs or lyrics?

CathyA
1-11-11, 10:40am
Gordon Lightfoot?

iris lily
1-11-11, 10:52am
nope, can't think of any of his tunes.

The guess "Bert Somers' was good because the man I am thinking of has the same level of name recognition for me. A relative my age married him and I remember thinking at the time 1) I've heard of him although the rest of my family had not and 2) oh he is old ;)

Weston
1-11-11, 11:27am
I don't think he was Canadian but Glenn Yarbrough was a contemporary of, and looked a little bit like Burl Ives. How about him?

Kestrel
1-11-11, 12:11pm
Hoyt Axton?

Sad Eyed Lady
1-11-11, 4:15pm
Ian Tyson?

loosechickens
1-11-11, 5:39pm
This is probably a dumb question, but could you ask your relatives?

iris lily
1-11-11, 5:54pm
I don't think he was Canadian but Glenn Yarbrough was a contemporary of, and looked a little bit like Burl Ives. How about him?

Yes! that's it! That's the guy! Thanks so much!!!!
I wonder why he didn't come up on any of the lists of 100 and 150 etc. greatest American folk singers.

Mrs-M
1-11-11, 5:54pm
How about a Family Tree search?

CathyA
1-11-11, 7:57pm
Whewwwwww. Mystery solved! Now you can sleep tonight Iris Lily! :)
That name sounds familiar. What popular songs did he sing?

iris lily
1-11-11, 8:57pm
his big top 40 hit was "Baby the Rain must fall" and the reason why my awesome web research skills * didn't turn up his name is because his group, not him as an individual singer, was listed in those web lists of top folk artists.

Also, he is still alive and still kinda old. :~) He's cute in a Santa LCaus kind of way. But as I advance in age that "old" criteria changes.

Loose I couldn't ask the relatives because I barely talk to that side and they are estranged form the chick who married him (though she's my "relative" by a marriage.) This was just one of those idle questions.

*type stuff into Google. Hit enter.

Kestrel
1-11-11, 11:34pm
I only remember Glenn Yarbrough from the Limelighter days (yeah, I'm old) and I don't ever remember him looking like Burl Ives :D. I did dearly love the Limelighters! (And I liked Burl Ives, too)

Gina
1-11-11, 11:38pm
My brother had an old Glenn Yarbrough album - post Limelighter days. I really liked it.

loosechickens
1-11-11, 11:52pm
Well, I'm glad you were able to solve the mystery anyway, Iris Lily. I HATE those things....I'll wake up in the middle of the night and think of someone that was a client in my old life, long ago, or something, or some horse's name, and it will cost me the rest of a night's sleep until I can come up with it.

Yeah, I can see now why you couldn't really "ask the relatives".....I KNEW it was a stupid question, hahahaha

Weston
1-12-11, 7:58am
Yes! that's it! That's the guy! Thanks so much!!!!
I wonder why he didn't come up on any of the lists of 100 and 150 etc. greatest American folk singers.

You're very welcome. Glad all those hours I spent in the 70's sitting by a turntable staring into space weren't wasted.

Mrs-M
1-12-11, 8:20am
Originally posted by Iris Lily.
his big top 40 hit was "Baby the Rain must fallOne of my all-time favourites.

Claire
1-12-11, 9:32am
Oh Mrs. M! You lured me in to registering on the new site by naming my distant cousin Bert. I'm glad to be here! He had a too short career and life, so much talent.

Mrs-M
1-12-11, 9:37am
That's awesome Claire!!! :) So glad you are here! Did you ever have the good fortune of meeting Bert?

Claire
1-12-11, 10:37am
Yes, briefly, as a young person. I wish I could have known him when I was a music-appreciating adult, and moreso, I wish he could have had a happier life.

Mrs-M
1-13-11, 1:26am
Isn't that the way it always seems to go hey Claire, one being too young to appreciate a significant meeting.

heatmiser
8-28-18, 7:33pm
I'm trying to remember the name of a fairly well known folk singer who was prominent in the ?1950's? and 1960's but who performed through the 70's and 80's; I'm fairly sure that he performed thorugh some of the 1990's because I rememb erlooking him up and he had a gig in a school. He probably died in the 1990's.

He might have been Canadian.

He was chubby and--I think-- had a beard. He was not Burl Ives but would have been a contemporary of Ives.

I've looked thorugh lists of folksingers on the web and cannot identify this guy. One of my relatives was married to him for a while.

Suggestions?

Well the name Glenn Yarbrough (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Yarbrough) automatically comes to mind.

Born in Wisconsin rather than Canada.

But he was chubby, bearded most of the time. contemporary of Ives,
usual succession of wives. Was the lead singer of the famous
Limeliters, then went out on his own.

Last recording in 2000. Died 2017.

iris lilies
8-29-18, 12:37pm
Since I wrote this post 7.5 years ago, Glenn .yarborough has died. This is the most trivial of trivia, but my shirtail relatives are mentioned in this NYT obituary. They are the third wife.

This guy had a colorful life.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/arts/music/glenn-yarbrough-folk-singer-with-the-limeliters-dies-at-86.html

dado potato
8-29-18, 1:45pm
Memory Lane … great fun.