PDA

View Full Version : "urban self-reliance" workshops at Seattle Public Library

lhamo
9-10-11, 1:18am
This is so cool I can hardly stand it:

http://www.spl.org/about-the-library/library-news-releases/urban-self-reliance-97

I miss Seattle! :(

Great idea that maybe other places can replicate, though, so thought worth sharing.

lhamo

redfox
9-10-11, 2:59am
Cool!

Stella
9-10-11, 8:32am
Very cool! We had something similar to that here in Minneapolis last spring that I had wanted to attend. I can't remember if it was through the library, though. No, I think it might have been through the county.

That West Seattle Tool Library sounds like a great concept!

lhamo
9-10-11, 6:31pm
Yeah, that and a similar thing at the Phinney Neighborhood Center are the kind of thing that makes Seattle such a great place to live. Waaaah! I miss home so much sometimes. If you started a tool library here in Beijing the tools would probably all disappear and never come back in the first couple of days. China is such a "every man for himself" kind of place, it gets to me sometimes...

lhamo

puglogic
9-10-11, 8:55pm
I used to live in West Seattle, really a great neighborhood --- now *I* miss it!!! Thanks for sharing this, Ihamo

JaneV2.0
9-11-11, 2:01pm
I looked at houses there. There was one in particular I probably should have bought. It's a neat area.

"Hand-pick a zipper?" Oh dear, another domestic skill that passed me by...

gimmethesimplelife
9-11-11, 2:33pm
This is very cool! I am just trying to imagine the Phoenix public library offering classes such as these....just can't see it happening! Rob

chanterelle
9-11-11, 2:42pm
Jane, please don't sneer at handpicking zippers. I consider myself to be highly trained and a skilled artisan who does Guild quality work...rather than a cute little domestic sterotype.
Handpicking zippers, handworked button holes and atelier quality fine repairs paid a chunk of my tuituon and book bills back in the day and saved my @ss financially on a number of other occasions...plus they can still command a not inconsiderable income stream today should I want.

if that's not self reliance, what is?