PDA

View Full Version : Netflex

Anita
9-11-11, 10:13pm
Hi are there any Canadians here who have Netflex.Is it worth it.Thanks Anita

Marianne
9-12-11, 8:06am
I'm not in Canada, but we loved Netflix! We just cancelled our membership last month, though. The price was going up quite a bit and we weren't watching as much. We decided that we'd use HULU if we wanted a movie (they have a view free section).

Merski
9-12-11, 8:10am
We are also in the states and use netflix. We only get one disc at a time and get the streaming so there's a lot of tv for very little money.

Anita
9-12-11, 9:39am
thank you Marianne and Merski.going to get some more info today see what I need to buysome thing like a xbox.

Merski
9-12-11, 10:16am
We have a roku.

Marianne
9-12-11, 1:50pm
We have a roku.
Please enlighten me. What's a roku?

Alan
9-12-11, 2:10pm
Please enlighten me. What's a roku?
A Roku (http://www.roku.com/?gclid=COKH9J2nmKsCFYdrKgodq3VhwQ) is a small box which acts as an intermediary between streaming content from the internet and your TV.
Most of today's popular gaming systems such as XBox360 and Wii will do the same thing. Connect any of them to your home internet connection, plug it into your TV and you can stream programming to your TV.

herbgeek
9-12-11, 3:18pm
We aren't gamers, so we have a Roku also. It was about 60 bucks US, and gaming systems were much more.

Marianne
9-12-11, 3:23pm
Oh! Okay, thanks. Obviously I don't get out much. :o)

leslieann
9-12-11, 3:57pm
Me, either, Marianne. We have been wondering about streaming since Netflix became available here (and Zip apparently now offers streaming too). Hulu is not available to Canadian users. Can you stream to your laptop and connect the laptop to the tv as if it is a monitor? We can't actually figure out how to make that happen and get audio as well as video. This ends up feeling all too complicated and I just don't care enough.

So I will look for a roku.

Anita
9-12-11, 9:12pm
Alan.Can I plug a wii into my router?Thanks .Since my DH had that stroke nearly 8 months ago and can't no longer read or write I thought Netflex would be nice for him,and maybe I can get some peace lol.

Alan
9-12-11, 9:30pm
Alan.Can I plug a wii into my router?Thanks .Since my DH had that stroke nearly 8 months ago and can't no longer read or write I thought Netflex would be nice for him,and maybe I can get some peace lol.
Yes you can. A Wii usually has a cable for a network connection where you can plug a network cable directly from your router. They also usually have wi-fi capabilities which would enable you to connect to your router wirelessly (well if you have a wireless router).
Here's a link to Wii's faq for using Netflix: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/netflix/howto.jsp

Anita
9-12-11, 9:51pm
Thanks Allan.It looks simple enough but i'm not great doing things like that but...............going to buy the wii and hope for the best,or have to wait for my Son to come home this weekend.Have put the link in my Fav.

Glo
9-13-11, 9:26am
We have streaming Netflix as well as one disc at a time. The price almost doubled as of September 1 st, but its still affordable. We'll continue subscribing for the foreseeable future. We are in the US.

iris lily
9-13-11, 10:47am
Be aware that the titles available for streaming are limited. It's not all new films, as one would think.

A few months ago I FINALLY got a NEtflix account after years of using the Library heavily and supplementing that with my local Blockbuster. My local Blockbuster shut down, the ghetto Blockbuster. It had a lot of choices. The nearest Blockbuster now doesn't have that choice, too whitebread.

The Library's collection is very deep and broad but still is lacking in a lot of the foreign films and in some of the documentaries and mindless teevee shows that I watch (Project Runway.) The Library is good for recent but discontinued teevee shows like The Sopranos and The Wire. I will be finishing up The Sopranos next week, sob. What a great great show! I am trying to get into The Wire, having learned that turning on subtitles is essential to my understanding. The subtitles make all the difference.

Watching The Wire is like watching teevee taking place in my own neighborhood. I've got the low rise projects 2 blocks away as well as the brick row houses. Baltimore architecture is very similar to that of St. Louis; St. Louis is a Midwestern city with east coast architecture.

screamingflea
9-17-11, 5:18pm
I must say their selections for instant download are a little off though. This morning I came up empty when I wanted to download the immortal classic Gaslight, but Robo Geisha was at the top of the foreign films list.

Huh?!?