PDA

View Full Version : Costco Vizio LED LCD HDTV

ljevtich
1-11-11, 3:47am
OK, now normally I do not purchase all that much stuff. We have not had a TV in almost 4 years. We have been watching TV shows (that we downloaded for free) and movies (that we ripped) on our computer screens. But now, we found, Costco has a 32" LC HDTV that is going for $349.00.

This is an AMAZING price! It normally is ~ $549. The reason it was priced so much less because they made a mistake on their advertising. And because of that, both the online and in store price is the same.
Vizio TV (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11614622&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|90607|2341&N=4047300%204294904820&Mo=27&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=)

I do not know how long they will have this available. But as my DH, a former audio visual designer who has been researching TVs such as this one for over a year now, stated, this is the BEST deal around and it will not stay around.

I just thought you all should know.
We just hooked it up tonight, saw The Departed movie that was linked from our external hard drive to the TV, and it was perfect.

redfox
1-11-11, 3:52am
Oh my... good thing we're in a buying fast! Sooo tempted...

ljevtich
1-11-11, 4:03am
I know! We broke down today....It really is a good deal, that is why I put it up...normally I would not try to tempt my frugal friends....Sorry...:(

goldensmom
1-11-11, 6:16am
We have a Vizio TV and feel it is a good product. We were tempted over the holidays to buy a 'good deal' TV just to keep on hand for when our current TV goes bad. Now I am tempted again. This model is a LED, not LCD which are way expensive right now. Personally, I do not see that much difference between the 2 and hope the LED models continue to decrease in price as the LCD becomes more popular. Still tempted and I agree this is a best buy for someone in the market for a new TV.

ljevtich
1-11-11, 2:21pm
One of the reasons we got this is because it is so lightweight - 13 lbs. without the stand, 14 with the stand! and it is thin. LED (A light-emitting diode (LED) is a semiconductor light source) backlight means that it uses less energy than normal TVs, and LCD = A liquid crystal display (LCD) is a thin, flat electronic visual display that uses the light modulating properties of liquid crystals (LCs). LCs do not emit light directly. It works just like a computer screen does, and is much better than a plasma TV.

So I do not get the LED not LCD, goldensmom...it is both (maybe what you have). We will be getting a wireless keyboard for it, and it can then be used like a computer screen because we will hook up my DH computer. We had this type of system back when we owned a house from 1998-2007 and now can do it in 2011.

goldensmom
1-11-11, 3:12pm
One of the reasons we got this is because it is so lightweight - 13 lbs. without the stand, 14 with the stand! and it is thin. LED (A light-emitting diode (LED) is a semiconductor light source) backlight means that it uses less energy than normal TVs, and LCD = A liquid crystal display (LCD) is a thin, flat electronic visual display that uses the light modulating properties of liquid crystals (LCs). LCs do not emit light directly. It works just like a computer screen does, and is much better than a plasma TV.

So I do not get the LED not LCD, goldensmom...it is both (maybe what you have). We will be getting a wireless keyboard for it, and it can then be used like a computer screen because we will hook up my DH computer. We had this type of system back when we owned a house from 1998-2007 and now can do it in 2011.

There are LED-based LCDs and traditional LCDs and I don't know the difference only the price factor. Sounds like this Vizio is the LED-based LCD. I do know that the picture quality of our Vizio is darn good, crystal clear pictures, vibrant color and you can see every wrinkle and pimple. I am glad that I am not an actor, news announcer or anyone else on TV!!

ljevtich
1-11-11, 6:26pm
@ goldensmom - yes, this is a LED-based LCD. What that means is this:
LED LCD
1. Uses a digital or circuit format for the light, which means no moving parts
2. Since there are no moving parts, it lasts longer
3. A solid state lamp or light source emits an uniform illumination
4. A LED takes up less energy and therefore emits less heat
5. A LED takes up less space

Regular LCD
1. Uses a compact florescent (CF) which has moving parts
3. CF does not have uniform illumination, but instead has bright and low spots within the illumination, which means the picture will not be as good.
4. Regular LCDs while less heat and less energy than a plasma, they are more than a LED
5. Since there is a CF in the LCD, there needs to be more space, therefore, regular LCDs are going to be heavier and wider than LED LCDs.

But the best thing of all FOR US, since we are in a RV, is that even with lots of vibration that this screen will be going through, there are no filaments to vibrate loose, and therefore it will not break down as badly. We plan on having this screen for a very long time.

The last TV we had lasted 6 years and was a state of the art rear projection TV monitor where we were able to watch High Definition shows before most people even knew what high definition actually meant. :laff: :cool:

ljevtich
1-11-11, 6:31pm
LED LCD TV profile view http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/ProductLarge/832032LL_v.jpg

Regular LCD TV profile viewhttp://content.costco.com/Images/Content/ProductLarge/713232LL_v.jpg

JaneV2.0
1-11-11, 10:39pm
I got a 25" HD 1080P flat panel from Costco some months ago for around $200. I couldn't be more pleased with it. You can't go wrong buying from Costco; they have good quality and a great return policy.