PDA

View Full Version : Indigo Dyeing, Simple and Successful

jania
9-14-11, 9:35am
This past year I decided to plant a dye garden. One plant I grew, new to me was Indigofera suffruticosa or Mayo Indigo. I purchased my seeds from Native Seeds/SEARCH.

During the growing season I read several different articles about harvesting the indigo plant material and dyeing with it. Most of the processes involved using a variety of chemical additives (something along the line of Rit Dye's color remover) as well as transferring the dye bath back and forth between several containers. I settled on a very simple fermentation method.

When the day came to collect my plant material I had only 3 plants (gardening mishaps are another story). I ended up with 10 oz. of material. I fermented the plants for 5 days and only added a little baking soda to bring up the alkalinity of the water a little.

I dyed natural white, singles, Churro wool yarn. I got the loveliest of blue colors! I am so happy and excited to have this as a successful project, it was so nice to have an "experiment" come out so wonderfully. I can't wait till next year for planting and growing a new crop. Till then I'll have several beautiful blue skeins to enjoy.

Other good dyes from my experience this year were zinnias (golden, beige), cochineal (rose) and yellow coreopsis (yellow).

Jemima
9-14-11, 10:07am
Thank you for the information. Natural dying is something I've always wanted to try, but never had the time. But now I'm retired and intend to do anything I please, hee, hee, ho, ho.

Gardenarian
9-14-11, 7:07pm
Well, it doesn't sound really easy to me, but it does sound fun and immensely satisfying! What will you do with your beautiful yarn?

jania
9-15-11, 9:41am
Gardenarian, I ended up with 8 oz of dyed yarn, equal amounts of dark, medium and light indigo. I think for this year I'll just be admiring the yarn (silly I know!) but for next year I plan to grow enough indigo and have enough yarn for at least one pullover sweater. And really, the dye process was really, really easy, it just took time.