PDA

View Full Version : Proofreading job...

puglogic
9-15-11, 9:54am
I'm thinking of taking on a local part-time proofreading job, being good (most of the time) with words. They've asked to receive "all particulars and information" from applicants. Not very specific. What sort of credentials would you send in for such a job?

folkypoet
9-15-11, 10:45am
Maybe just normal resume stuff? Cover letter, salary history (or not), experience, selected accomplishments, awards and recognition. education, references, etc? What a strange phrase....

Marianne
9-15-11, 1:01pm
And don't rely on spell check, either! I had a friend that sent out a lot of resumes before she noticed that one line said that she worked well with the pubic. LOL

Mighty Frugal
9-15-11, 3:33pm
And don't rely on spell check, either! I had a friend that sent out a lot of resumes before she noticed that one line said that she worked well with the pubic. LOL

Well...maybe she did....

Miss Cellane
9-15-11, 3:39pm
Highlight anything you've done with words--writing instructions at work, or proofing co-worker's written material. If you have any relevant degrees, like an English degree, be sure to mention that. Basically explain why you would be a good proofreader--you always got As in spelling, you have a good vocabulary, whatever, and then highlight any work experience that utilized those skills.

fidgiegirl
9-15-11, 5:03pm
Where was the ad?

I feel like from past research that these kinds of jobs are paid by the page or by the word or something. Do you think you'll have to submit rates? Maybe Bastelmutti knows.