PDA

View Full Version : Batteries for golf cart

CathyA
9-16-11, 3:07pm
I have bad knees and got a lifted golf cart last year with big wheels on it and it was like having wings. I could start going around our lovely big rural property again, looking at birds, animals, butterflies, weeds, etc., etc. The cart was a used one and now the batteries are terminal. (hahaha........good pun!).
I need to buy 6 6 volt batteries. I'm choosing between Trojans and Interstates. I know Trojans have sort of been the cadillac of golf cart batteries for many years. But my golf cart guy says that Interstates are pretty good too, and less expensive.
Anyone have experience with either of these brands?
I'm leaning toward the Trojans, but I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks!

loosechickens
9-22-11, 12:22am
We've used both......get the one you can get the best deal on, then care for them properly by allowing them to discharge sufficiently before you charge them again. One very common problem is that people often leave the golf cart on the charger, or charge it every day or so, which tends to allow the batteries to become "flabby".

They perform best by being discharged (not all the way, but at least halfway) before recharging. Also keep careful check on the water level in the batteries, etc. They are "deep cell" batteries, which are designed to be discharged and then charged, so let them keep those discharge/charge muscles healthy by not making life TOO easy for them.

Interstates are fine. Go with the best deal, because they are very equal in quality.

Bronxboy
9-24-11, 10:00pm
Also, use distilled or deionized water when you have to add water. There is a difference over time, since the salts in tap water accumulate in the battery.

CathyA
9-24-11, 10:12pm
Thanks LC and Bronxboy. I got the Trojans. Its good to have my wings back! :)