PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian-style roast chicken

Tradd
9-17-11, 4:49pm
This is from my Middle Eastern cookbook. I just made it today, and it was FAB!

Take a 3.5-4 lb whole chicken and rub it with a mixture of:

2-4 T of EVOO
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt & pepper
2 crushed garlic cloves (I did a few more, and then added more garlic in the roasting pan).

Pour rest of mixture over chicken in pan, if any left over.

Preheat oven to 350F. Put chicken breast side down in pan and roast for 1.25-1.5 hours until well-browned. Turn chicken breast side up halfway through.

This was SOOOO tasty! The lemon gave it a nice little bit of tang. This was my first time doing a roasted chicken in YEARS!;)

Nice and simple. Would go good with some roasted veggies.

I'd not bought a whole chicken in a long time, but this was cheap. The chicken was only $4. Think it was 3.5 lbs. Obviously, not organic meat at that price!;)

Now I have nice leftovers for later in the week (will probably just eat cold or nuke for work lunch). I'm saving any bones and such in a freezer bag for making stock later.

Sad Eyed Lady
9-17-11, 4:57pm
Wonder if this would turn out the same in a crock-pot?

Tradd
9-17-11, 5:06pm
A friend, after seeing me put the recipe on Facebook, said she was going to try the seasonings on boneless skinless chicken breasts.

I think you need the crispy skin to make this really good. But you could try it in a crockpot, but I think it would lose something in translation.

domestic goddess
9-17-11, 6:41pm
I'm pretty sure you would get the flavor in the crockpot, but remember that seasonings added at the beginning with slow-cooked food often are just not as strong or "bright". You might want to add some more near the end of cooking. And the skin won't be crispy, which will change the texture.
But, Tradd, that does sound yummy! Maybe a good dish for Sunday dinner. I have this Sunday's meal planned already, but I'm sure this will be seen soon at my house.

reader99
9-18-11, 8:48am
What's EVOO?

Mrs-M
9-18-11, 8:48am
Oh boy, does that EVER sound yummy! Thank you so much for the recipe Tradd!!! P.S. (Never heard of EVOO before).

Tradd
9-18-11, 8:59am
Extra vigin olive oil

Marianne
9-18-11, 9:01am
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - EVOO
That recipe does sound good!

treehugger
9-19-11, 12:22pm
Wonder if this would turn out the same in a crock-pot?

Crockpots cook with low, moist heat and the oven is hot, dry heat. So, the meat (not to mention the skin) will have a totally different texture. That doesn't mean you can't cook this in a crockpot, but, IMO, there's nothing like the flavor and texture of a roasted chicken. To me, chicken in a crockpot comes out sorta...spongy.

I always roast 2 chickens at a time (same amount of work and oven time, lots of extra meat for the freezer). If you have time, a giant flavor improver is to rub the chickens with salt the night before and leave them uncovered in the fridge over night. Makes the meat extremely moist and flavorful and, no, it doesn't make it taste excessively salty. I learned that technique from the Zuni Cafe Cookbook.

Kara

Stella
9-19-11, 1:06pm
Mmmm. I was planning to make a roast chicken today and I have lemons and garlic on hand. I think I will try this. Kara, I will try your trick next time. I roast a chicken about every other week.

terrica
9-22-11, 2:07pm
I sure wish that summer would end so that I can do this type of cooking. It was over 100 yesterday. Not really the weather for roast chicken. This recipe sounds wonderful.

frugal-one
9-22-11, 2:16pm
In the north summer has ended. It is afternoon here and 56℉. The trees are starting to turn colors too. Roast chicken sounds wonderful. Just took one out of the freezer. Thanks.

domestic goddess
9-22-11, 9:58pm
Here in the Midwest, it has been in the 60's. I like to have the oven on in the morning and evening just to take the chill off the house. But the trees aren't turning here yet.

Tradd
9-22-11, 10:25pm
Where in the Midwest are you (north, south)? I'm in NE IL and the trees are beginning to turn.

Mrs-M
9-23-11, 11:17pm
Thank you for answering the EVOO mystery! :)

daisy
9-28-11, 8:50pm
I made this chicken tonight and it was sooooo good! Thanks for sharing the recipe! The house still smells divine. :)