PDA

View Full Version : Ray Anderson, We'll Miss You

puglogic
9-17-11, 11:05pm
Because I don't watch TV very much, and steer clear of internet news, it took me 'til last week to learn that Ray Anderson died last month. This is a terrific obituary run in The Economist:

http://www.economist.com/node/21528583

My heart just sunk into my shoes when I read that he'd died. I was such a big admirer of all that he did and all he represented. We keep being force-fed this line that a company can be truly environmentally responsible, OR it can be profitable, but not both. I mourn the death of someone who so clearly showed what a big fat ****ing lie that is, and who lived his values (running a successful business AND working to make it tread lightly on the earth)

loosechickens
9-18-11, 2:47pm
Oh, dear....I hadn't heard that either, puglogic. He had a long life, and certainly did much good and went a long way toward illustrating that capitalism and sustainability are not mutually exclusive. I read a lot about his carpet company awhile back, and it's clear, as he showed, and as others such as Paul Hawken have written, that we not only CAN, but MUST find a way to stop destroying our environment and learning new ways to conduct our businesses.

Very sad...may be rest in peace after a life well lived.