PDA

View Full Version : dh challenges guys to watch 1 hour less of sports

babr
1-11-11, 12:43pm
we have cut our tv to bare bones; dh is going through some sports withdraw but not bad; missed the "big game" but read instead and I thought oh what a good challenge in honor of dh; well i guess it could be anyone to watch less tv

i can't watch tv anymore and it has turned out great; i can't believe how ridiculous some of the stuff out there is; but i don't want to make any judgement calls either because for example my parents; they would be lost without there tv

anyway just a fun thing if you are up for it

Kris

babr
1-11-11, 12:45pm
oops i guess this should go into the challenges/goals; oh well will post it later

bicyclist
1-25-11, 4:38pm
I have reduced my time watching sports in favor of participating in sports which I can do. In stead of watching someone dunk a basketball on television, I have taken up bicycling, walking and the occaissional pick up game of basketball or soccer in the park with whomever I can find-any age. It is actually alot more fun than socalled serious sports and involves a degree of flexibility. You play up or down to the ability of the people you encounter. You do that anyway in serious sports but may be overwhelmed if they are too good.

In pick up games, the players tend to sort themselves out by ability when some of them are far too skilled or strong for the others. A long time friend and myself used to go to Golden Gate Park and take on anyone we could find. usually our fellow players turned out to be young adults or teens far younger than us. We enjoyed it just the same and they were surprised at how good we were at basketball despite not being able to run and jump as well we used to.

There are a lot of sports for middle aged people even those who did not play competitive sports as young people. The ycan be a whole lot more enjoyable than sitting and watching sports on television. And I still do that some of the time.

Sincerely, Bicyclist