PDA

View Full Version : Tap dancing

gail_d
9-20-11, 12:14am
Tap dancing is my new hobby. So far, reasonably frugal (classes through parks & rec; one pair of tap shoes; a couple of exercise tank tops to go with exercise capris I already had).

Does anyone else do tap? Sometimes I get klutzy and forget which foot is right and which is left, and sometimes the sound is good and sometimes muffled. But I persevere, and the teacher is good about letting some of us older ones go slower until we "imprint" the step.

iris lily
9-20-11, 12:32am
I just learned that two of my friends have taken up tap dancing! It must be a new trend!

IshbelRobertson
9-20-11, 5:25am
When my daughters danced (aged 3 - 18), the dance school held a Mother's tap class at the same time as the kids - it was a great way to keep fit, but that was quite a few years ago now! I did ballet/tap/'modern' (as it was then called)/highland dance all through my school days and beyond. It was great to go back to it when the kids were small.

peggy
9-20-11, 8:35am
What fun! I have always wanted to learn to tap but alas I'm probably too old.

Selah
9-20-11, 9:19am
Tap dancing is WONDERFUL! I wish there was a class I could take myself! Have a great time...it's a beautiful thing, and if you can stand, you can tap!

treehugger
9-20-11, 12:11pm
I took ballet (and adored it) from age 3 to age 7.5, when my mom and I left my dad and our new hometown only offered ballet/jazz/tap. Mom decided I wouldn't like that combo, so I never got back into dance lessons. I love all kinds of dancing. I did take a couple ballroom dancing classes as an adult, and I loved them. What a fun form of exercise!

Kara

Float On
9-20-11, 12:15pm
TAP is fun! I took lessons for years when I was little. Look up JEERK on you-tube. We saw then a week or so ago, they had a long engagement here in Branson before they took off on tour. They are from Sweden, they used JEERK because that is their initials, they are not jerks but super sweet guys. We had fun visiting with them after the show. Now both my boys would like to take TAP.

Mrs-M
9-20-11, 6:40pm
I could watch tap dancing for hours! never tire of it. Michael Flately's (Lord of the Dance/Riverdance) comes to mind. Seems like it's so hard to do.

pony mom
9-20-11, 10:53pm
I took it for a few years in my twenties and loved it!! For some reason, if I'm in an elevator, I tap. Maybe something to do with the movie Thoroughly Modern Millie. It's a fun way to get in shape and get frustrated at your feet. You can't be unhappy when you're tapping.

The turns always made me queasy though.

Gardenarian
9-21-11, 3:27pm
My daughter tap dances and I got a pair of shoes to dance along with her. It's a lot of fun (though dd is way better than I am.)

gail_d
9-24-11, 9:20pm
Peggy, the teacher and at least two of the other students look to be in their fifties! And you learn the steps slowly and worry about building up speed later. You could always talk to a teacher and see what you think.

Mrs-M
9-24-11, 11:19pm
I have always wanted to learn to tap but alas I'm probably too old.Oh pooh! You are only as old (or young) as you allow yourself to be! :)