PDA

View Full Version : Fascinating.....

puglogic
9-27-11, 6:51pm
We're moving, so I just called to cancel our phone, internet, and cable services (thinking I'd have time to shop around later.)

They instead put me through to the people in charge of convincing customers to stay, and with very little effort on my part - like NONE - they reduced the cost of the services I was paying for by more than a third.

Aside from the fact that I'm grumpy they weren't giving me these good deals all along, I'm fascinated: Perhaps this is the way to reduce all of our expenses on these kinds of things (if you have them). They seemed very anxious to keep me - even though I wasn't leaving out of dissatisfaction, just indecision!

leslieann
9-27-11, 6:53pm
Yup. We had "free" cable all summer because we tried to cancel for the season. They were so desperate to make sure we didn't default to the competition that they kept us on for free. Well, also they can't seem to figure out how to suspend services.

Did save a few bucks, for sure. good for you, pug.

Sad Eyed Lady
9-27-11, 9:24pm
You may be on to something here!

fidgiegirl
9-27-11, 10:06pm
I have heard this before.

reader99
9-27-11, 10:11pm
Question everything. Ask every provider of everything if there is a less expensive alternative, if there is a special... I asked my car insurance company how I could save money and they recommended an online safe driving course with reduces my premeiums a bit for several years. Also I hadn't thought to tell them I'm out of work, so I'm driving less, and that reduced the premium also.

Miss Cellane
9-28-11, 8:34am
A few years back, I called to reduce my cable TV service to the most basic, cheapest service they had. I was paying $65/month, the basic service was $15.95. Instead, they offered me the service I was currently getting, but at $25/month, instead of $65/month! The price was good for only 6 months, but then I could call back and renew the special price.

It's worth a call. I called my cell phone company to cancel, and they told me about their pay-as-you-go plan, which is not listed anywhere on their website. Saved me $35/month.

CathyA
9-28-11, 9:40am
This is sort of off-topic, but its about the department store Kohls. They send out coupons all the time, that are either 30% or 20% or 15% off. I've discovered that if I don't shop there for a long time, I always get the 30% coupon in the mail. If I shop there every once in awhile, its the lower coupon. Its all so crazy.

Aqua Blue
9-28-11, 9:50am
This is sort of off-topic, but its about the department store Kohls. They send out coupons all the time, that are either 30% or 20% or 15% off. I've discovered that if I don't shop there for a long time, I always get the 30% coupon in the mail. If I shop there every once in awhile, its the lower coupon. Its all so crazy.

I noticed that too, and now only pay cash when I shop there. That way I get the bigger coupons. Haha

puglogic
9-28-11, 10:12am
We switched trash/recycling companies too (had always been too busy to research other options) because I found an option that's about half what we were paying. This new place was going to cost us each about $150.00 more per month, but because of things like this, it'll cost the same. Amazing. It also has about five times the garden space, and great storage for a root cellar, so we'll be able to grow & preserve tons more than we do now. For a frugality geek, this is all great news :D

Gardenarian
9-28-11, 4:16pm
Funny! I call At&T every 18 months or so and tell them how I'm getting all these good offers on DSL and phone from Comcast, and they always lower my bill - often by more than half.