PDA

View Full Version : Do you count calories?

mira
10-1-11, 9:04am
I do not. I don't believe in them :P I eat based on nutrition and consider it logical to eat carbohydrates when I need lots of energy, as much fruit and veg as possible and try to monitor the junky food I consume.

I find it strange to eat based on numbers, when the content of the food is so much more important.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I know people who know the calorific content of any given food and I find it frightening.

Sad Eyed Lady
10-1-11, 9:34am
Not anymore. In my younger days, yes; I was one of those who knew the calorie counts of most foods I consumed, (or not, because it contained "too many" calories), but now I try to eat more balanced, good for me foods and not overdo the portion size.

Mrs-M
10-1-11, 9:55am
Non-calorie counter here. Way too much work! :)

jania
10-1-11, 10:42am
I don't count calories as I have a pretty good idea of what's in my food and know how to create some balance. I think counting calories can be helpful for people with a weight issue who don't have an understanding of their food. I see using calories as a learning tool which can eventually be put aside once people begin to see what it is they are really eating.

Selah
10-1-11, 12:03pm
Do I count calories? Not no, HECK no! :) Although, I have done so when I've had to eat at a fast food restaurant when I'm trying to make "better food choices," as I'm trying to watch my sodium and cholesterol intake. But after I figure out what is the best choice, I just mentally file away that restaurant's menu and keep ordering the same thing if I have to eat there again. That comes in very handy while travelling!

catherine
10-1-11, 2:07pm
Well, when I interviewed doctors and asked them about the causes of obesity, they said basically it's a mathematical equation: More calories in than expended out, you're going to get fat.

True.

But if you are more into health and common-sense eating, I believe you'll ignore all that and just do what Michael Pollan said: Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants.

loosechickens
10-1-11, 3:27pm
yep, to me, Michael Pollan's "Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants", is pretty much it. If I do that, I really don't have to worry that much about the calorie content....much more concerned with nutritional value. Although, that said, I do monitor portions and have lost some weight recently with little more than doing that.

ApatheticNoMore
10-1-11, 7:06pm
From a practical standpoint, it is just an incredible pain. So it's easy if you eat mosty packaged foods. But even if we find ourselves eating packaged foods out of exhaustion or whatever, it's hardly something to be aspired too. And ok if we eat simple foods, an apple, a banana, easy to look those up. But then come all the things you have to measure: a handful of nuts. Etc. And THEN comes cooking. Yes cooking, the real deal and that which is to be aspired to IMO. Even if all we "cook" are raws foods like salads, as soon as you start combining incredients compexity is increasing - ok a tomato, plus 3 cups of lettuce, plus 10 olives, plus 1/2 avocado, plus olive oil, plus basamic vinegar. Heaven forbid you actually make a whole meal. - ok that salad plus chicken cooked with red peppers and tomatos and etc. Pretty soon you find yourself drastically cutting back in calories, because food isn't worth the trouble of all that addition anymore ;)

Honestly it's to the point I'd rather be a big fat fatty (even though I'm not), yea I'd rather be outright obese, then keep up with societies neurotic food obsessions anymore (I do believe in eating REAL food, that's the one thing I do strongly believe in, natural, real, organic, local when possible). And I do think watching portions is sensible.

Zoebird
10-1-11, 8:07pm
i eat paleo/primal (http://www.marksdailyapple.com), and i dont count calories. but, in order to understand how things were going for me, i used a calorie counter to get my percentages (of how much of what macronutrient I was eating), and i was eating around 1600-1700 a day. which was interesting. :)

Anne Lee
10-1-11, 9:15pm
Recent research published in the Lancet says weight loss is a little more complicated than eating a certain number of calories.

And no, I don't count calories.

iris lily
10-1-11, 9:57pm
When I am in weight lose mode, I use the Weight Watchers plan and count "points" which is a shorthand (tm) system for calories.

mm1970
10-1-11, 11:12pm
When I am in weight loss mode, like now, I do weight watchers points, which is essentially counting calories. Forces me to think about what I am eating.

However, I am moving to fewer carbs and more primal eating, and I find I can eat more and still lose weight or maintain weight.

There are definitely new studies that are indicating that it's not simply calories in - calories out...

Tiam
10-2-11, 12:46am
When I'm trying to lose weight, I do. It works better than anything else I've ever tried. After perusing calorie counters, I'm pretty good at guestimating calories per food item.

ApatheticNoMore
10-2-11, 1:43am
I've also never been ABLE to count calories for weight loss. I at most last a week, then I give up! (and like all women I have tried many many times). So I guess you can say calorie counting for weight loss doesn't work for me (because I can't sustain it)

Now I HAVE been able to count calories and stick to it for OTHER motivations (ok I did the caloric restriction thing for a few years pursuing a long life, counting every annoying calorie, until I read about too many side effects of it and gave up). Heck I've also done super low fat veganism, vegatarianism etc. when I thought they were in pursuit of HEALTH and long life (or at least long health). But I'm not capable of counting calories for more than a week with the goal of losing weight. :|( I guess on some deep level my short term and long term health can at times motivate me, but obsessing about my weight never does (even if I think it should). Healthy eating and watching portions though like I said - perfecly sensible.

mira
10-2-11, 4:21am
Hehe, I'm glad I'm not alone :)

I can understand why calorie-counting can be useful when trying to lose weight, but as they say: if diets worked, you'd only have to do it once... Surely permanently modifying your entire lifestyle and approach to food is the only real way to maintain a healthy weight?

I think counting calories can be helpful for people with a weight issue who don't have an understanding of their food. I see using calories as a learning tool which can eventually be put aside once people begin to see what it is they are really eating.
This makes sense. Graduating from calorie-counting to knowing what effect ingredients/food properties have on our health seems logical. But does calorific value always equate to nutritional value? How can that leap be made by someone who prioritises calorie content and bypasses nutritional content?

Wildflower
10-2-11, 5:11am
I don't count calories. I do watch portion sizes, don't eat in between meals or late at night, don't eat junk food, and rarely eat anything sweet. I try to get a reasonable amount of exercise in everyday. I am fighting some pudge these days while going through menopause, but I refuse to become a slave to counting calories.