PDA

View Full Version : George Harrison Special

Cypress
10-1-11, 4:32pm
Apparently, there will be an HBO presentation on the life and legacy of George Harrison this week. Unfortunately, I only have basic cable and will miss the show.

I have to say George's music inspired me years ago to follow a spiritual path. When I was 15, I had a crush on him and listened to his records regularly. That was way back in 1975. He certainly had crafted a unique musical style, I think of all the Beatles, he had a deeper quality of poetry and revelation about life. He did dwell too much on his own spiritual awakening. I see him now as an evangelist of sorts, he had a great moment of bliss and shared it in song.

I wonder how many other folks became curious about what he was saying. He seemed so at ease with his spiritual practice. I would guess only a Beatle could have expressed himself and published albums in this vein and could have reached a large audience. I am trying not to say pop artist but what category of performer did he belong in?

Mrs-M
10-2-11, 11:57am
Thank you for the heads-up on the special Cypress. I love the Beatles. I never followed their music or personal paths close enough to elaborate in any depth or detail to answer the questions you pose, but I do think it's safe to say that the music that the Beatles produced will never be duplicated or matched. So unique, definitely set apart in the aspect of the storytelling side.

Mrs-M
10-2-11, 12:12pm
Cypress. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEyJ2EEvRBU) has become one of my favourite videos of the Beatles, not to mention I've always loved the song, Penny Lane. (I love watching how everyday street-goers gaze upon John and at one point, beginning of the video, it looks as though a man stops, noticed John, then begins to follow him, and at the end of the video the same man can still be seen walking beside John).

catherine
10-2-11, 12:17pm
I've been a huge Beatlemaniac since 1964. I agree that George, of all of them, used music to share his own spiritual truths. It may have started way back in 1967 when he first met Ravi Shankar. He was SO heavily influenced by that sitar sound ("Within You Without You" I think was his first song in which he incorporated the sitar). He's a little like Cat Stevens in that their internal worlds really shone through their music. The fact that George Harrison is a Pisces says something, too. Those Pisces folks are such poets.

So how to categorize him??? I don't know--he does defy categorization.

Xmac
10-3-11, 12:44pm
George, although it seems like an over simplification, was a pop musician: popular musician.
I named my son John Lennon. Need I say more.

DonkaDoo
10-4-11, 4:07pm
Will definitely be watching tonight. I love my HBO. Between Prohibition on PBS and George Harrison on HBO and Breaking Bad on AMC, what a week for TV!!

Xmac
10-5-11, 9:36am
How was it? I don't have TV.

Mrs-M
10-7-11, 6:57am
I enjoyed it immensely! So much history behind it, and a lot of interviews with all sorts of close friends and acquaintances sharing their personal stories.

P.S. Xmac. Love your sons name!

puglogic
10-10-11, 9:04pm
I wasn't even a Beatles fan, and don't really do the Hero Worship thing very much, but when George Harrison died, I cried like a baby. Of all of them, I only really miss him. Hopefully I can find that HBO special on some other venue in the future (we only have basic cable)

One of my favorite musical things ever - ever - is when George Harrison and Paul Simon performed together on Saturday Night Live in 1976: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIWyP_j8C6s