PDA

View Full Version : Roast chicken and ways to use it

mara61
10-1-11, 5:32pm
I am hunting for some suggestions of ways to stretch a roast chicken. My husband has meat on the bone issues, so I normally buy boneless skinless. It's cost prohibitive to buy it that way from a farm for us, but not so much if I buy the entire chicken and I really would prefer to buy it that way. So I am looking for recipes to use up the chicken. He is willing to try something new and will currently eat chicken noodle soup from a roasted chicken.

If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate it. The only exceptions would be no casseroles ;). I am making a pot pie right now and we shall see how that goes.

So the list I have right now is:
Chicken and biscuits
Pot Pie
Chicken Noodle soup
Stock

Thanks!

IshbelRobertson
10-1-11, 5:39pm
Use parts of the chicken as ingredients in a stirfry with fresh veggies, ginger and soy sauce.
Make a cornish pasty using chicken - add leeks and garlic.
Chicken curry
As a Scot, I make **** a leekie soup - chicken, leeks, grated carrots, small amount of rice.

Use the carcase to make chicken stock to add flavour to other dishes.

Oh, FOR GOODNESS SAKE.... this American style of censor drives me MAD.... C oc K is the missing word - it's a European way of saying CHICKEN!

Anne Lee
10-1-11, 5:47pm
Chicken enchildada or tacos.
White chili

frugal-one
10-1-11, 11:14pm
enchiladas and tostadas

Jemima
10-1-11, 11:40pm
When I was traveling and staying at a hotel with a kitchenette, I used to buy the supermarket rotisserie chickens and was able to stretch them into six meals for myself. 2 packages of slices were put aside for sandwiches for lunch, two more for chicken with rice and spinach for dinners. There was always leftover meat which I put aside as well, and I made broth from the carcass. The broth, leftover meat, rice, and spinach went into the soup along with a few sliced baby carrots, which I usually had handy for my work lunches in lieu of junk food chips. This made about two servings of a really nice thick soup, and along with a couple slices of buttered toast, was a great, filling dinner.

Wildflower
10-2-11, 5:15am
Chicken Quesidillas - Yum!

Rosemary
10-2-11, 9:38am
summer rolls, or if you don't want to deal with the rice paper wrappers, use leaf lettuce, chop up veggies, and make rolls that way.
saute small pieces with a little soy sauce and add to stir-fry.

Packratona!
10-2-11, 7:23pm
Stir-fry rice
Curried chicken salad ( I add grapes, apples, nuts)
Matzoh ball soup (if you have lots of broth)
A spread for crackers: add some soy sauce, some honey, some mayonaise, some chopped walnuts and mix with the chicken bits. It is incredible.
This incredible chicken almond caserole recipe of my mother's that you eat over noodles. It is to die for.

Sissy
10-2-11, 8:17pm
I was gonna say good old chicken salad mixed with apples, raw carrots, walnuts and tomato bits. Just a good mayo as dressing. Good on salad if the chicken is getting kinda sparse :)

Blackdog Lin
10-3-11, 7:42am
Oriental Chicken Salad: lettuces, grated carrots, green onions, chicken chunks, tossed with chow mein noodles and a homemade ginger dressing, then topped with toasted sesame seeds. We love it as a hot-weather meal.

Chicken Chow Mein: stir-fried celery, carrots, green onions, snow peas, bean sprouts, chicken chunks, and dressed with a homemade chow mein sauce and served over chow mein noodles. Great with plain rice on the side.

Tortilla Soup: cans of prepared soup mixed with chicken broth, tomatoes-and-green-chilis, taco seasoning, cheese whiz/velveeta, and chicken chunks. Terribly unhealthy, but wondermous flavor. Served with tortilla chips to crumble into the soup.

Amaranth
10-29-11, 10:14pm
If the raw whole chicken comes with a bag of parts, you can make a small dish of pate out of the the cooked liver. Just scale down the recipe and put it in a small bowl in the fridge until dinner.

More ideas:
BBQ chicken pizza
chicken+alfredo pasta

Tiam
10-29-11, 10:45pm
I had a beautiful Mexican Abuela make the most delicious chicken and rice soup for us once. I've never been able to duplicate it.

Tiam
10-29-11, 10:47pm
Gosh, but Tortilla soup CAN be made homemade and healthy!

domestic goddess
10-29-11, 11:13pm
Chicken and dumplings was my first thought, but you said "no casseroles", I think. Chicken Chowder? I make a casserole (here we go again) using dressing as the first layer, cut up chicken next, and gravy to cover. Never any left-overs on that one, as everyone here loves dressing. Chicken is such a versatile main dish, as you can season it just about anyway. My dh used to like chicken breasts baked in spaghetti sauce.

Zoebird
10-30-11, 12:13am
there are great instructions online as to how to debone your chicken, and then you have the various normal cuts you would get from a butcher. just go to you tube, and follow along. it's good to have a nice sharp knife, and clean kitchen scissors don't go amiss either.

reserve the bones, roast them, and then boil them off for chicken broth -- it's great stuff.

and then just use the chicken as you like. you can even freeze the deboned parts in separate bags (breasts in this bag, thighs in that, etc), and the bones in a bag and then pull them out as you need.

we roast about 4 chickens a week, and after roasting, i tend to pull the chicken off the bone and use it for chicken salad, tacos, enchiladas, soup, etc etc -- and sometimes just plain, super yummy roast chicken. :)

CathyA
10-30-11, 9:00am
We have a roast chicken one night, and then the next night I usually make a big salad with all sorts of veggies in it, and add pieces of the left-over chicken. Yum!