PDA

View Full Version : Home in a dumpster

Packratona!
10-3-11, 4:23am
http://www.kimaronson.com/

Luxury Living...with a twist!
Pretty cool; guy made a home out of a dumpster in California.

Mrs-M
10-3-11, 10:18am
Packratona. Thanks for this. Very interesting. Some people's ingenuity and ideas never fail to amaze me.

Packratona!
10-3-11, 11:19am
You are welcome, it's all aboot creativity, LOL!

kally
10-3-11, 1:32pm
great, redefining a home is a big step to change.

loosechickens
10-3-11, 2:46pm
Wonderful......I celebrate that kind of ingenuity, and also that ability to see that a home can be very minimal, yet comfortable. A roof to keep you dry, a place to sleep and keep a few belongings, a place to cook and eat, go to the bathroom, and it's surprising how much little more is needed for comfort.

Since in our travels, we've met folks living in some very basic styles, and having lived ourselves for more than two years in a VW Vanagon camper van, we know how little is needed. Because we were quite comfortable living in that little van, and I could do it again, easily. Sometimes I think I'd almost welcome a return to that life. Even living in a motorhome, in less than 300 sq. ft., it often feels like we have WAY too much stuff, and sometimes I long to go back to that very basic way of living.

Anything short of sleeping on the ground is o.k. with me....my bones are getting a bit stiff with age to do without some kind of a bed, but other than that, not much of a problem.

Mrs-M
10-3-11, 7:35pm
I wish communities would take a more proactive approach in providing the likes of such accommodations for those in need. Imagine the happiness such a venture would bring to so many. Somewhere to call home...

CathyA
10-3-11, 7:51pm
Thinking practically, where does the water/electricity come from? Where does the toilet flush to?

Zoebird
10-3-11, 8:45pm
i think it would be easy to run on solar, from a power perspective, but the water would be. . . different. a composting toilet might be the way to go, but even then, you have to have a place to put the compost! i've looked at several kinds and hope to eventually have one -- i think that they can work in urban settings, but i have to find the right kind to do so. many of my friends in more rural settings do have them, and also a place for the compost. LOL

i think perhaps a greywater system might work, but in such a small space, that might be hard. perhaps it runs on a rain-water tank/cistern to gather water, but then waste water. . .hmm.

but it is creative, for certain.

CathyA
10-4-11, 9:36am
I guess I was thinking of these little dumpster homes being beside the streets in NYC. hahaha Of course, you'd have to think of weather protection, etc. Being the Debbie Downer that I am, I can't think of too many people who would be truly happy in such a tiny space. Especially during bad weather. But there are alot of cool ideas for tiny houses out there these days. Remember when people would make homes out of cabooses?
I have a nice chicken coop with electricity that would even be a nice little home for a human, with a few small modifications.

jania
10-4-11, 9:51am
I couldn't help but think about the dumpster smell I usually associate with dumpsters, but I'm sure this one had been totally cleaned up.

Yes, very small but if someone needs a place to live it's better than on the sidewalk. I'm always so impressed by this type of creative thinking and am reminded of the homes built out of those rail transport or semi-truck containers.

kentvogel
10-7-11, 6:17am
Useful post - nice to see the rules being enforced. Hopefully I'm not one of the culprits....