PDA

View Full Version : Question about tarps

CathyA
10-3-11, 1:27pm
I use tarps alot around my chicken coop. We added a front area in front of the coop main entrance, in order to have a sheltered area for things like bales of straw, and other storage. We have 2x4's that are attached to 4x4 posts. I suppose it could be called something like a covered porch.
Anyhow......I'm tired of the tarps shredding just after 1-2 seasons. I know there are the "real" tarps......those canvas ones. But those things are soooo heavy and so expensive. Do you think they'd last alot longer than the plastic tarps?
I should probably just hire someone to put something like tin on it, but just haven't. That would be even more expensive than the canvas.
We do use 2 tarps, which helps with the wear and tear, but the top tarp always seems to get shredded.
Thanks for your input.

kenh
10-10-11, 8:05pm
We've started buying the heavy canvas tarps now for the past two years - they do seem to last longer
and work better than the standard cheap plastic ones.

Marianne
10-10-11, 9:49pm
You get as much as two seasons from a plastic tarp?? I'm impressed. :o)

The wind here tears them up fast, no matter what we do. What I'm going to try next is painter's canvas, coated with a couple coats of water seal (like Thompson's). Our new neighbor is a county appraiser and she told me that people do that to make a somewhat waterproof 'roof' over porches, etc. They aren't taxed like a regular ol' rain stopping roof.

CathyA
10-11-11, 9:03am
DH just told me that they aren't waterproof. I didn't know that. I probably should just bite the bullet and have a tin roof put up. Its just a small area.......like 8'x10.
Those cheaper tarps are bad for inside the coop run, as they shred and I fear the chickens eating the shreds. I should probably even have that area totally enclosed, as now I have mice/chipmunks, and carpenter bees eating the 2x4's.
Thanks ken and Marianne.

Joel.DeLaCruz
5-2-12, 10:14am
I use tarps alot around my chicken coop. We added a front area in front of the coop main entrance, in order to have a sheltered area for things like bales of straw, and other storage. We have 2x4's that are attached to 4x4 posts. I suppose it could be called something like a covered porch.
Anyhow......I'm tired of the tarps shredding just after 1-2 seasons. I know there are the "real" tarps......those canvas ones. But those things are soooo heavy and so expensive. Do you think they'd last alot longer than the plastic tarps?
I should probably just hire someone to put something like tin on it, but just haven't. That would be even more expensive than the canvas.
We do use 2 tarps, which helps with the wear and tear, but the top tarp always seems to get shredded.
Thanks for your input.

Canvas tarps are a bit heavier than the poly ones that you are most likely using, but they do last longer. You could also try hay tarps since you're covering bales of straw. We use hay tarps at our house for the chicken coops, like I said they are heavier but way more durable than the poly tarps. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Tweety
5-2-12, 4:28pm
Look at www.shadeking.com.They have really sturdy poly tarps that are laminated with woven mesh. I have used their tarps for my art fair canopy and side walls and have been very pleased with them.

artist
5-2-12, 5:07pm
It's an election year. Have you thought of repurposing those larger corrugated plastic campaign signs?

redfox
5-2-12, 5:59pm
Blue breaks down fastest under UV light, so we always get brown ones. Pathetic, making tarps out of material & color most susceptible to breakdown... what a species, when we're under the influence of greed.