PDA

View Full Version : age and job interviews

pinkytoe
10-6-11, 9:31pm
I recently applied for an out-of-state job mostly as an exercise in possibilities. Lo and behold, I got a call for a first interview. Now I am concerned that I should consider declining because of my age - just turned 57. All the media news seems to suggest (actually shout) that people of a certain age aren't getting hired. It is a dream job for my experience and would be a life changer if it came to pass. However, I am very nervous about the age thing so I don't want to waste everyone's time being that I am gainfully employed and should be grateful for that. Thoughts?

jania
10-6-11, 9:54pm
First off, congratulations for getting an interview! It's just so good to hear about someone getting an interview these days.

Second, I don't think your age should be your consideration but rather is this a job you would like to have and are you willing to move for it? If you answer yes to those two questions keep up with the interview process. And if your answers are yes, best wishes on the interview!

catherine
10-6-11, 10:02pm
Are you joking?? They called you and you might turn down a dream job because you're 57? Don't listen to the dadgum media. Listen to your heart. And don't dare look apologetic when you're there.

creaker
10-6-11, 10:36pm
Go for it.

redfox
10-7-11, 1:39am
You may get turned down; you sure as he// won't get it by turning the interview down! I'm 56 and just got fabulous job.

lhamo
10-7-11, 4:06am
Go for it.

x2. You won't know if you don't try.

lhamo

chrisgermany
10-7-11, 4:38am
Do they know your age yet?
If so, age is not their concern. Why should it be yours then?
If not, test the waters and go for it.
If they find you are the right person you will get the job. If not, not. If the job is right, do not take a decision before they have taken theirs.
Are you trying to protect yourself against disappointment? It will not work: If you step aside now you might find asking yourself for years if you have done wrong.

Anne Lee
10-7-11, 7:16am
If this was started as an exercise in life possilibities, then you should go forward with it.

Float On
10-7-11, 7:24am
Go for it! And good luck!

pinkytoe
10-7-11, 8:59am
Wow, I appreciate all the encouragement! I lost ten years of my career life due to debilitating anemia that kept me in my present safe but boring job. Now that I am healthy again, it is as if I need to make up for all that lost time. The reality is that I feel like a little kid most days - full of energy and raring to go - so I will give it a shot.

shadowmoss
10-7-11, 11:49am
I've had better, more interesting jobs since I turned 50 than any other time in my life. I'm 56, and in the job market looking for a different contract. I'll go pretty much anywhere in the world, and I know I'll find something else. Until then, I have my job here in Honduras. If I knew this stuff would be so much fun, I'd have gotten out of my rut a lot sooner.

saguaro
10-7-11, 1:29pm
My DH is 56 and was hired in April after over 2 years of unemployment. He spent those 2 years taking classes for additional skills. He has just gotten promoted after less than six months on the job to a better position, a job that is actually going to use the additional skills he trained for. He's more excited about this new position than I have ever seen him and his employer is thrilled to have him on board.

Tradd
10-7-11, 1:34pm
Go for it!

JaneV2.0
10-7-11, 5:11pm
I was hired for a couple of jobs in my fifties. You might as well test the waters.

rosarugosa
10-7-11, 6:59pm
I hired someone this year who was in her late fifties :)

ETA: I am in my early fifties.

Stella
10-7-11, 8:48pm
I am so glad you're going for it! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that things work out for you! How exciting!

Jemima
10-7-11, 11:24pm
There are any number of companies that *prefer* older employees because they tend to be highly reliable and get along well with others in addition to the experience aspect. These people who called you for an interview probably already have a ballpark idea of your age from the years of employment on your resume, and especially if you included the year you graduated from high school or college.

In other words, GO GIRL!!!! Godspeed and good luck!

Tradd
10-7-11, 11:59pm
There are any number of companies that *prefer* older employees because they tend to be highly reliable and get along well with others in addition to the experience aspect. These people who called you for an interview probably already have a ballpark idea of your age from the years of employment on your resume, and especially if you included the year you graduated from high school or college.

Heh, the highly reliable made me laugh. Much younger coworkers have often seemed clueless about simply regularly showing up for work on time! (I'm 42).

redfox
10-8-11, 12:30am

I took all my graduation dates off my resume about ten years ago to forestall ageism at the initial screening.

Jemima
10-8-11, 11:01am
I took all my graduation dates off my resume about ten years ago to forestall ageism at the initial screening.

I put dates in my resume whether or not they are requested and am completely upfront about what I can do. I've gotten a number of jobs that turned out to be awful for me because I followed the tips in those "How To Get A Job" books. That seems to work a lot better for me than pretending to be something I'm not.

rosarugosa
10-8-11, 6:25pm
Slightly off topic, but I've also found my younger workers to be extremely conscientious and reliable. So I'm not a fan of ageism in either direction. My team currently ranges from 18 - 59. We've got the spectrum pretty well covered!