PDA

View Full Version : Commercials about Mormons

CathyA
10-8-11, 10:00am
I thought it was interesting that I've been seeing alot of commercials where they show "normal" people with normal lives and at the end they say "And I'm a Mormon".
Surely this has something to do with Romney's run?

Rogar
10-8-11, 10:35am
I was wondering the same thing and did a little searching. The ads are appearently financed by the Mormon church. Here is what one article said,

"So was Romney involved in getting the church to try giving the Mormon faith a more accessible and familiar face (and thereby allay some of the suspicions that swirled around the Mormon tradition during his 2008 presidential run)? Apparently not. A spokesman for the ad campaign, Ron Wilson, told WCCO-TV that the ads are "not connected to Mitt at all."

Campbell says the ads are a response to worsening public perception of Mormons over the past few years. Polygamists run wild on the popular HBO show "Big Love," and a new TLC reality show called "Sister Wives" will feature a polygamist marriage. Some non-Mormons don't understand that splinter groups that practice polygamy are excommunicated from the church, he said."

Still, I have to wonder.

Zigzagman
10-8-11, 10:41am
I thought it was interesting that I've been seeing alot of commercials where they show "normal" people with normal lives and at the end they say "And I'm a Mormon".
Surely this has something to do with Romney's run?

My DW and I were just talking about this yesterday. I'm not quite sure that it is directly associated with the Romney and Huntsman campaigns and maybe the Morman Church's effort to use this political climate to try and show the Morman religion as a more mainstream religion. You know how the different religions just love to "dis" each other! Living in Texas probably the first mental images that come to mind here of Mormanism would be the young adults (nicely dressed, I might add) going door-to-door and the "cult" image of women in long dresses living in polygamy.

I'm not a religious person but all of the Mormans I've known have been much more open and approachable than most of the other "Christians".

The recent Rick Perry camp comments by a high-profile Baptist preacher in Dallas as to whether Mormonism is a "Christian" religion is a perfect example of the competition for righteousness amongst the Holy People.

Peace

Alan
10-8-11, 11:12am
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has been advertising for years. Here's some of their offerings over the years. http://mormon.org/homefront/0,15902,3865-1,00.html

creaker
10-8-11, 11:20am
It wouldn't surprise me - I wasn't out of diapers yet but it seems Catholics were generally excited about seeing Kennedy elected as the first Catholic President.

Was there much anti-Catholic rhetoric at that time?

catherine
10-8-11, 11:46am
It wouldn't surprise me - I wasn't out of diapers yet but it seems Catholics were generally excited about seeing Kennedy elected as the first Catholic President.

From what I recall, it wasn't that Catholics were persecuted per se, but we had never had a president that wasn't Protestant! Plus, there is anti-Papist sentiment, which is what may have driven any concern about Kennedy becoming president. Some people think that because Catholics are led by the Pope, policy could be influenced somehow by the Pope if a Catholic president were to be elected.

I do think the Mormons will have to have a PR campaign if they want Romney elected. Just last night I saw a Christian evangelical speaking against Romney, saying he isn't Christian. ?? I don't know, in my experience, I've found that many Mormons walk the Gospel walk a heck of a lot more than the majority of so-called mainline Christians.

Miss Cellane
10-8-11, 11:48am

Heck, yes. There were fears that with a Catholic president, the Pope would essentially run the US. Kennedy had to overcome the fear-mongering put out by the opposition, as well as the dislike of Catholics in various parts of the country. In 1928, Al Smith, a Catholic, ran for president, and was defeated, partly because of his religion.

catherine
10-8-11, 11:57am
I have to add this...

After my previous post, I wanted to confirm that some people don't believe Mormons are Christian, so when I went to google "Are Mormons Christian" here are the google "suggestions" that popped up (of course, indicating that many people have googled them):

Are Mormons..
...Christian
...a cult
...polygamists
...racist
...crazy
...saved
...protestant
...considered christian
...allowed to kiss

Yup, Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints, better get that PR campaign going!

Greg44
10-8-11, 12:39pm
Okay, resident member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints here (aka Mormon or LDS).

The Pastor that introduced Gov. Perry said Mitt Romney was a member of a cult -- yawn. Like we haven't heard that one before. I think the name of our Church pretty much says it all.

Yes, I think the Church is taking the advantage the current political climate. Not that they are supporting Romney, Huntsman or Harry Reid (all practicing and good LDS), but the subject of the Church is more out there and they want people to understand who we are.

At the recent General Conference this month the Church announced it was going to expand the campaign to other markets.

Unlike some Churches - political matters just are not discussed in church or over the pulpit. While many members are Republicans, you can be a good LDS member and belong to any political party. My dw and I cancel each other's vote - I am republican and she a democrat.

There has always been so much mis-information about the Church, our beliefs and practices that the Church has always been active in using the media to get our message out.

CathyA
10-8-11, 12:46pm
I do remember other ads, several years ago,that I believe were mormon, that just talked about being kind and good to each other. But these recently seemed to be saying "Look.....we're just normal people". That's when I started wondering if it was the Mormon church's attempt to help Romney out a bit.
I think we're coming into a time when lots of the Christianity ideas will be questioned, as far as it seeming to be ingrained in our national beliefs. (on our money, the pledge of alligiance, etc.). I wish if good people wanting to be president weren't Christians, that they'd still have a chance. You don't have to be a Christian to have morality, ethics, etc. I get so tired of that perception.

freein05
10-8-11, 1:07pm
Heck, yes. There were fears that with a Catholic president, the Pope would essentially run the US. Kennedy had to overcome the fear-mongering put out by the opposition, as well as the dislike of Catholics in various parts of the country. In 1928, Al Smith, a Catholic, ran for president, and was defeated, partly because of his religion.

I also remember how Kennedy had to convince people/voters the Pope would not be telling him what to do.

Greg44
10-8-11, 1:12pm
You are so right CathyA. If people (Christians/Republicans etc) think they have the monopoly on good moral character and judgement they are so wrong. There are people of all religious faiths who are good people, want the best for others, want to make this country a better place, etc.

Years ago - I served a mission for our Church in South Australia (and the Northern Territory) - meeting people everyday to talk about our Church. One of the first things I learned is that are some really good people out there - I mean give the shirt off their back for you types of people. Those people came from all religious beliefs - or no religious beliefs at all -- but they were good people.

CathyA
10-8-11, 1:28pm
Just curious though Greg.....was your mission to "save" them?

iris lily
10-8-11, 1:29pm
Cathy those have been around for several years, and I agree, they are effective. Mitt has nuttin' to do with it.

Greg44
10-8-11, 1:53pm
Just curious though Greg.....was your mission to "save" them?

You know we really don't use that term in our Church - but yes my mission was a proselytizing mission. It was not an easy mission. Many Australians have a "she'll be right" attitude - but you gotta love them anyway!!