PDA

View Full Version : October Random Resolutions

Jemima
10-9-11, 4:02pm
I budget by the month and tend to get a bit wild and crazy the first week or so when I feel rich, so I've decided that I will go on a "no spending" fast for one week per month. There's so much stuff to do around the house and adequate supplies to do it that I would slap myself upside the head if I thought it would do any good.

In order to prevent any plotting ahead, I'm going to put numbers from 1 to 31 in a bowl and draw one on the last day of the month to determine the date of the spending fast for the next month. The spending fast will start on that date for a full seven days. So there, Jemima. :~)

Mrs-M
10-10-11, 9:41am
Love the sounds of your plan, Jemima! Paring back ones spending, regardless to whatever extent or degree, is good thinking/strategy! Would really love to follow your progress related to this, so please post again! :)

iris lily
10-10-11, 11:13am
I like that plan, sounds kinda fun. I'm there with you in spirit.

Jemima
10-10-11, 5:24pm
So far it hurts, and I'm surprised at that. Shortly after I made this decision, which was early Saturday morning, I received the refund of my Federal pension which I hadn't withdrawn when I left the D.o.D., and it was nearly three times what I expected. Around lunchtime today my Yard Guy came to the door to tell me how much my September-October bill is and it was $100 less than I expected. I'm trying to stick to my guns, but I may whimper a lot until Friday. (Of course, I'll probably make better decisions since I have four more days to think about how to spend or save the extra cash.)

Just to refine my post, I'm talking about discretionery spending only. No stiffing of creditors allowed, and no skimping on medical costs. By Hay Feber is killig bme. :sick:

frugal-one
10-10-11, 6:08pm
Wow... good time to save!

Jemima
10-10-11, 7:55pm
Wow... good time to save!

:D:sick::D

I'm thinking maybe next month I won't do the number drawing, but will schedule my No Spend week for the week of Thanksgiving. I generally don't leave the house on Black Friday weekend anyway.