PDA

View Full Version : Interesting and short article - you can do it message

kally
10-9-11, 7:49pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/opinion/sunday/i-went-back-to-the-land-to-feed-my-family.html?_r=3

Acorn
10-10-11, 4:53am
Loved that article!

lhamo
10-10-11, 5:01am
Thanks for posting that! I love urban farming stories. Her memoir looks interesting, too, as I am also Gen X. Off to get a copy for my kindle from the library (one of my favorite new frugal past times...).

lhamo

Weston
10-10-11, 7:41am
Thanks for posting this Kally. I really enjoyed it.

cdttmm
10-10-11, 8:02am
Great article. Thanks for posting it!

Stacy
10-10-11, 12:25pm
Thanks for posting! I'll be adding her memoir to my "To Read" list.

Zoebird
10-23-11, 5:18pm
nice! after we buy our car next week, i'm going to see what $$ is left, and we are starting our potted food garden. So far on the list:

Herbs (various);
blueberry;
lemon;
manderine;
lettuce;
tomato;
cucumber;
bell pepper;
cavolo nero (my new lover, i swear to goodness! also a great winter veg here -- so i can plant it in the fall);
kale;
broccoli;
cauliflower.

we think we'll be ok. :D

catherine
10-23-11, 6:10pm
This was a great article! My only comment is about the chickens: My DD26 and her boyfriend got some chickens when they were lucky enough to have a small plot of land behind their apartment in Williamsburg that was attached to their apartment. So, they got a couple of chickens, cooped them up, and things were great.... until the rats came. Apparently that can be a common problem when you keep chickens in an urban environment. They wound up getting rid of them for that reason. So, I wonder how the writer was able to avoid that problem...

But I love the fact that she just figured out how to do everything simply and avoid the consumer easy-way-out that it can be when you're living in a city.

Thanks for sharing it!

ctg492
10-24-11, 7:07am
My favorite new line for today: You can tell yourself anything is too difficult, or you can just do it.
I envy those that can and do what they apply themselves to.

bke
10-24-11, 12:11pm
I have gotten back in touch with an old college friend who has a similar story. She lost her job and instead of becoming discouraged she started doing things for herself. She even makes deoderant, lotion and lip balm as well as having chickens and a garden- All within city limits! I have been so impressed by this. To be so much less dependent on our consumer society.