PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of mildew

Demrbee
10-10-11, 9:34am
I have a basement apartment that got damp over the summer with all of the rain. I bought a dehumidifier but kind of after the fact. So I have mildew and musty smells. What's good to get rid of it? I'm buying a house and will be getting rid of my furniture and buying new, so I don't care about the furniture. Just want to get rid of it in the apartment.

Bastelmutti
10-10-11, 11:25am
I was about to post on this! I get it on the bathroom tiles and grout due to a lack of ventilation in the bathroom & it drives me crazy. Honestly, the only thing I have found that works so far is bleach, which is icky, but so is mildew.

Anne Lee
10-10-11, 11:35am
Well, this is what worked for me on walls. We have a bathroom w/ no window and an underpowered fan that got mold growing it. First clean the mildew with bleach. This kills it. Then paint over it with Kilz and THEN paint it w/ exterior grade house paint. This may be more work than what you want for a rental.

If it's in the rugs, curtains or cloth furniture then there isn't much you can do.

Mrs-M
10-10-11, 12:04pm
My worst fear is that the carpeting and upholstery have absorbed the odour. Basements are strange that way, some smell, while others don't.

Demrbee
10-10-11, 12:14pm
I've read some articles that say baking soda will absorb the smell and to use white vinegar to get rid of the mildew. I've also read about the bleach. I'm going to try everything!!

Bastelmutti
10-10-11, 12:18pm
Just don't try everything at once! ;-)

creaker
10-10-11, 12:22pm
For the bleach thing, is it diluted with water? If so, what are the right proportions?

Mrs-M
10-10-11, 12:46pm
Creaker. Depending on the severity and level of mildew/mold, you can't go wrong with a 50/50 mixture. If really bad I'd have no qualms over using straight bleach. Additionally, here are three mold/mildew recipes I obtained from the net.

Tea Tree Treasure:
Nothing natural works for mold and mildew as well as this spray. I’ve used it successfully on a moldy ceiling from a leaking roof, on a musty bureau, a musty rug and a moldy shower curtain. Tea tree oil is expensive, but a little goes a very long way. Note that the smell of tea tree oil is very strong, but it will dissipate in a few days. 2 teaspoons tea tree oil 2 cups water Combine in a spray bottle, shake to blend, and spray on problem areas. Do not rinse. Makes about 2 cups, lasts indefinitely.

Grapefruit Seed Extract:
The advantage of using grapefruit seed extract instead of tea tree oil for killing mold is that it is odorless.
20 drops grapefruit seed extract
2 cups water
Combine in a spray bottle, shake to blend, and spray on problem areas. Do not rinse. Makes about 2 cups, lasts indefinitely.

Vinegar Spray:
Straight vinegar reportedly kills 82 percent of mold. Pour some white distilled vinegar straight into a spray bottle, spray on the moldy area, and let set without rinsing if you can put up with the smell. It will dissipate in a few hours. If you don’t like the smell of vinegar, you can add essential oils for a more mellow scent.

Rosemary
10-10-11, 4:14pm
I've used tea tree oil diluted with water in a spray bottle to clean damp bathrooms. It has a much more pleasant odor than bleach.

shawntheweaver
8-30-13, 3:36am
Tea tree oil is fantastic stuff and has all kinds of uses. I use it for a number of things at home including cleaning as it’s got a very nice camphor-like smell. It’s particularly effective against fungi and I use it on my bathroom tiles and the kitchen floor tiles which come up sparkling. You can use it to clean the tiles in your apartment and spray it on the sofa or carpets if they are staying.

Tiam
8-31-13, 12:19am
The only time I buy this stuff is for if I have a mildew outbreak: Clorox Clean up. Very strong. It kills mildew better than straight bleach. I haven't had mildew in a long time, and therefore haven't bought the stuff in ages.

happystuff
9-4-13, 9:10pm
So glad this thread was bumped up! Thanks for the recipes/suggestions!!