PDA

View Full Version : Another stupid idea by the U.S. Post Office

CathyA
10-10-11, 12:39pm
I can't believe this one. They are making ads to encourage businesses to make more junk mail. I'm so disgusted by this. We get a grocery bag full of junk mail every month. >:(
I guess there is a ridiculously low percentage of people who actually buy the things that the junk mail is trying to sell. Just think of all the resources spent on this worthless crap!!

jp1
10-10-11, 8:56pm
We both signed up for the no junkmail list a while back and also the no credit card offers list. We hardly get any junkmail at all now. Just the stuff addressed to "resident" and a couple of catalogs from retailers we actually have bought from in the past.

JaneV2.0
10-10-11, 9:18pm
jp1 beat me to it. I get much less junk mail now. I love my Post Office, its personnel and its new Forever stamps. I hope it's not too late to reverse the pension plan dirty trick Congress played on USPS.

creaker
10-10-11, 9:24pm
jp1 beat me to it. I get much less junk mail now. I love my Post Office, its personnel and its new Forever stamps. I hope it's not too late to reverse the pension plan dirty trick Congress played on USPS.

I think it's awful - basically they are using USPS pensions to fund cheap junk mail.

Jemima
10-10-11, 9:35pm
Ditto jp1 and JaneV2.0. Also, this site is really useful for getting rid of catalog mailings that you don't want: https://www.catalogchoice.org/

mtnlaurel
10-12-11, 6:56am
Last night I saw a post office ad to return to paper bills/receipts.

I personally prefer paper trails in some instances, but I know I am a dying breed.

Their ad campaign might be case in point why they are having difficulties.

Here is a market that LOVES, LOVES mail though -- the under 10 market.
My kids adore getting mail.
Maybe they should target that demographic!

ApatheticNoMore
10-12-11, 12:06pm
Isn't the stuff addressed to resident MOST of the junk mail anyway? Sure seems so. Most junk mail seems to consist of store flyers - the supermarket flyers, the hardware store flyers, etc.. And isn't that stuff all addressed to resident? So being able to eliminate just that not addressed to resident seem hardly worth the bother.

CathyA
10-12-11, 12:14pm
I feel like taking it back to the P.O. each week and dumping it there. I have the feeling I'd be seeing the police soon though. It is so dang frustrating......especially when 100% of the stuff we get, we have no interest in buying. I just think of all the poor trees that are totally wasted on this junk.
Do some of the above links require a payment to have them stop your junk mail?
I honestly don't see how this even works for the companies sending the junk mail. Think of the cost of it, with such little return.

JaneV2.0
10-12-11, 12:41pm
Opt Out is free. It's time-consuming, though, because you have to register each and every permutation of your name and address for it to work properly. I don't mind most junk mail--like flyers from realtors and dentists. I realize it's a legitimate way of businesses to advertise, and most of it goes directly from my mailbox to my recycling bin. I don't blame the USPS for it at all. Or for anything else, really. Did I mention I love the USPS?

CathyA
10-12-11, 1:13pm
All of mine goes into the recycling bin too, but that's such a waste of trees, energy and resources, even if we do recycle it. I like the USPS too, but that doesn't mean I like all this junk mail! And I don't want to sacrifice the planet, just so that the post office can keep going.

creaker
10-12-11, 1:49pm
All of mine goes into the recycling bin too, but that's such a waste of trees, energy and resources, even if we do recycle it. I like the USPS too, but that doesn't mean I like all this junk mail! And I don't want to sacrifice the planet, just so that the post office can keep going.

If it wasn't for junk mail USPS would only deliver to my house 3-4 times a month. I might send 1-2 pieces of mail per month. Hardly something that requires having someone go to my house 6 days a week every week.

CathyA
10-12-11, 2:07pm
I think this is an example of how we have so much junk in other areas.........People HAVE to work to get money. We have so many people and not enough jobs (or not enough work in the right areas........environment, infrastructure, etc.) that we create junk for them to make and sell. We create advertising jobs for people to try to talk us into buying this junk. Pretty soon, we have a large part of our economy based on junk that keeps people working. Its crazy.

JaneV2.0
10-12-11, 3:37pm
Before I turned off my ringer--and even after I put my name on the Do Not Call list--I got lots of junk phone calls, but it never occurred to me to blame the phone company. Businesses are going to bug you with or without the post office, if they feel they need customers.

ApatheticNoMore
10-12-11, 5:28pm
Yes it goes directly to a recycle bag and then I have to drive it to be recycled. Of course in reality I tend to procrastinate going to the recycling center, so there is always a ton of recyling piling up in my place just adding to the mess :)