PDA

View Full Version : The UFO Incident

CathyA
10-12-11, 3:36pm
Anyone remember this movie? DS was home last night and I got an old VHS taping of it out and we watched it. I always liked it. Its supposedly a true story of how Barney and Betty Hill (played by James Earl Jones and Estelle Parsons) believed they were abducted by aliens in the 60's. I liked it because it was low keyed and dealt more with their repression of it and their attempts to deal with it when it started coming into consciousness, through hypnosis.

JaneV2.0
10-12-11, 7:31pm
Was it originally a TV movie? Not sure I've seen the fictional account, but I watch/read lots of UFO-related material. I think I read somewhere that there's going to be another theatrical release made of the Hill incident. Something is going/has gone on, as far as sightings and abductions are concerned. There are those who feel temporal lobe seizures or overactive imaginations are at work; it's all intriguing to me and to a lot of others, like Harvard's late John Mack.

ETA: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2040607/Betty-Barney-Hill-alien-abduction-movie-hit-big-screen.html

CathyA
10-12-11, 8:23pm
You're right Jane......I think it was a made-for-TV movie.
I hope if they make another movie about it, its not over-done as far as the aliens. What I liked so much about this first one was that it pretty much down-played the aliens and the incident, and was more about the Hill's struggling with feeling like something was wrong, but not being able to bring it into their consciousnesses.

iris lily
10-12-11, 10:12pm
I don't know the film, but I do remember the book, a very big book in the UFO literature.

JaneV2.0
10-12-11, 10:15pm
I remember hearing recordings of Barney's hypnotic regression: pretty gripping stuff, as he was palpably terrified.

CathyA
10-13-11, 6:41am
The movie did a good job showing Barney Hill's terror, as he slowly remembered the aliens during hypnosis. It was interesting that he felt such relief after each visit to the hypnotherapist, even though he didn't consciously remember what he had remembered yet. The mind is so fascinating!

Marianne
10-13-11, 6:44am
I remember the movie. When was that on TV? Seems like back in the '70's or something?

CathyA
10-13-11, 11:48am
It was made in 1975.