PDA

View Full Version : The Foolish Traveler

Gardenarian
10-12-11, 7:48pm
My daughter has been reading a manga series called Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya. I had some negative preconceptions about this (wasting her time reading comic books!) so I read a couple of the books. This story was in one of the books. It changed my mind entirely about manga.

The Most Foolish Traveler in the World

A foolish traveler was on a journey. He was stupid because he was easily tricked. The townspeople took advantage of him. On that journey, he was tricked into giving away all his money, clothes, and shoes. But the traveler was foolish, so when the townspeople lied to him saying, "This will really help," tears would stream down his face and he would say, "Please be happy."
When he gave away his last belonging, he was naked and ashamed to be seen. So he decided to travel in the forest. Then he met the monsters who lived in the forest. They wanted to eat him, so they tricked him with clever words. Of course, the traveler was fooled and when the monsters asked, he gave up his arms and legs.
Eventually, the traveler was nothing but a head. He even gave his eyes to the last monster he met. As the monster munched on his eyes, he said: "Thank you. I'll give you this in return," and left him. But that was a lie too.
His gift was a single piece of paper that had "fool" written on it. But the traveler cried and cried, saying: "Thank you. Thank you. This is the first time anyone's given me anything. I'm so happy. Thank you. Thank you" and tears kept flowing from his eye sockets, and while he was crying.....
......he died.

Everyone laughed. While they laughed, I closed my eyes and thought about the traveler. I thought about the traveler who was tricked into being nothing but a crying head saying, "Thank you. Thank you" and I thought how lucky he was.
Loss...suffering....
It's pointless to think about them.
The traveler didnt think about them.
That might be stupid to some people, but it's not stupid to me. I won't trick anyone, even if other people think that person deserves it. I just want to make them happy.

Do you really think that's stupid?
When you close your eyes....what do you think?

~Momiji Sohma in Fruits Basket

Gardenarian
10-12-11, 7:54pm
As I re-read this I realized that this is not exactly the same as in the book (I googled it) - the book is better, but this is the general idea.

iris lily
10-12-11, 10:16pm
What do you see as the life lesson here?

JaneV2.0
10-13-11, 12:14pm
This seems to be Pollyanna taken to dizzying new heights. I'm never good at unraveling philosophical messages.

Gardenarian
10-13-11, 4:27pm
Oh, I guess that the purpose of life is the giving, not the taking, and the foolish traveler was the lucky one because he gave everything and ended up with joy.

It also ties in (for me) to the powerful image of the Fool in the Tarot, who is portrayed stepping off a cliff. But the fool is almost always a good card; it signifies that point where we are aware that we know nothing - also where we have nothing. The fool has a journey, and the end of the journey is to once again be the fool.

It also is important to me that we keep giving. There are some people who moved onto our block who are very very reserved. I always wave to them if I pass them in the car, and invite them to our neighborhood parties and BBQs. They never come, or respond. The other day I waved to them and my dd said "When are you going to give up on them?" The answer is, of course, never, because I would not be giving up on them, I would be giving up on myself.

I very much see myself as the fool traveling on this earth. I also see that I have the choice to define myself as a victim or as the recipient of countless blessings. I choose the latter.

JaneV2.0
10-13-11, 7:26pm
Oh.

I'd be the new people on your block. Do they wave back? I'd go that far.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/bye.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

catherine
10-13-11, 8:15pm
This is the same type of theme as The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. I first read that book 40 years ago and I've gone through different stages of loving the message, questioning the message, rejecting the message, and I'm swinging around again.

It's also the message of the Crucifixion. It's a message that seems nonsensical to most people. But the paradox of the message is stated clearly in the Bible: you have to lose your life to find it. People will always consider those who act like doormats, or who give without thinking of what they are getting in return, fools. Something to think about.

JaneV2.0
10-13-11, 10:11pm
I always hope those who like to take, take, take will find partners who like to give, give, give; that way, they'll both be happy. Most of us do both and find a balance that suits us and our associates.

I looked up the "lose your life to find it," and it seems to apply to the Disciples. Maybe the concept is similar to the one about giving up your ego to become one with the Cosmic Whole.

Bastelmutti
10-14-11, 9:36am
This reminds me of Rainbow Fish.

JaneV2.0
10-15-11, 1:19pm
Martyrdom of various kinds seems to be a popular theme among world religions.