PDA

View Full Version : Stress: Portrait of a Killer

redfox
10-14-11, 1:03am
A National Geography documentary I just watched on Netflix. Highly recommended.

treehugger
10-14-11, 11:50am
Ugh, this stresses me out! :P Seriously though, I need to watch that, but I'm afraid to.

Kara

DonkaDoo
10-14-11, 1:06pm
I think I've seen this before - does it feature the guy who discovered the telomere?

JaneV2.0
10-14-11, 2:21pm
My philosophy of health--oft-posted here--is that illness occurs where genes and stress cross; I'll make note to watch this.

redfox
10-14-11, 6:51pm
I think I've seen this before - does it feature the guy who discovered the telomere?

Yes, except that it is a woman who discovered them.

Mighty Frugal
10-14-11, 10:17pm
Don't leave us hanging! For those without Netflix-can you tell us briefly what it's about-aside from the obvious (stress kills)

fidgiegirl
10-14-11, 10:20pm
Kara, did your stress course ever help?

JaneV2.0
10-14-11, 11:19pm
Note for those without Netflix (like me): check your library. Mine has it.

redfox
10-15-11, 1:40am
Note for those without Netflix (like me): check your library. Mine has it.

Yeah, what Jane says!

It's a fascinating and sobering scientific look at at the physiological impacts of chronic stress. The research centers around several long term studies of both primates and humans, notably baboons in the wild. It was very well done, and has given me some significant things to ponder...

catherine
10-15-11, 9:42am
Actually, I found it on YouTube for free--there are 6 installments, about 10 minutes each.

Great stuff!

Here's the link to the Part I.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efbJ5w803cg

cdttmm
10-15-11, 9:54am
Actually, I found it on YouTube for free--there are 6 installments, about 10 minutes each.

Great stuff!

Awesome - I'm going to watch it later today!

Mighty Frugal
10-15-11, 9:43pm

Great stuff!

Thanks! Watched it. Now off to find the others...and stay calm

pony mom
10-15-11, 11:10pm
My reflexology teacher said that studies show that 75% of disease and illness is caused by stress.

I always think of Christopher Reeve's wife Dana, who took care of him then died of lung cancer. Stress??? Caregivers often become ill.

My massage clients fill out health cards before their massage and about 80% check the "Suffer from stress" box. Maybe I don't get sick too often because I'm not stressed. I do worry, a lot, and I suppose that is a form of stress, but not in the same league as others.

ApatheticNoMore
10-16-11, 12:28am
My massage clients fill out health cards before their massage and about 80% check the "Suffer from stress" box.

You know they never recommend any fun ways to get rid of stress. They say stuff like meditate. Well meditation is HARD (also always caused me physical pain but I think that's just some weird quirk of mine). We're not all Zen monks because it is a spiritual path and a HARD one, we really aren't all meant be I think.

Now, massage that is a fun way to get rid of stress :). Ok not cheap, I get that we can't all just get professional massages all the time (hey me neither, but I have access to cheap chair massages). Walking in nature is a good and cheap stress cure. They (advice on stress) always emphasize the hard stuff though, until getting rid of stress becomes as stressful as the stress!!!! :0!

Who knows how many people try meditation for a few days on realizing that they are overstressed and then give up (more I'd bet than join the gym in January and then seldom go :))

Maybe I don't get sick too often because I'm not stressed. I do worry, a lot, and I suppose that is a form of stress, but not in the same league as others.

Yea I think worry is stress. I think my personality type inclines me to stress about things (high in neuroticism (the personality trait) or what have you) - a worrier yea. Don't really think my external stressors are that great at all, but if you worry about things anyway .... :~)

By the way when they say money doesn't buy happiness I have to wonder sometimes if they are MEASURING THE WRONG VARIABLE! I'm quite sure it doesn't buy happiness as in feelings of joy. Look elsewhere for joy. What having money does do I think is reduce the AMOUNT of worry worrying types experience about one specific aspect of life, all other things held constant. So possibly some stress reduction all other things held constant yea.

redfox
10-16-11, 1:23am
One of my colleagues shared some wisdom he hit from a book about living the last third of your life:
"Take good care of your body. Don't buy crap, don't put crap on your plate, and don't put crap in your mouth."
Word.