PDA

View Full Version : Are Digital Copies Legit?

Gingerella72
1-12-11, 11:41am
It used to be that if you didn't have the original form, paper, document, invoice, statement, contract, what have you....having a zerox copy wouldn't count or hold up if you had a conflict with something, or had to show proof of something.

Now, in this digital age where almost everything is online, and there are products being advertised that help you scan all your documents so you can get rid of the paper clutter (like that Neat Scan thing they show in commercials for receipts and stuff), does not having the original matter anymore?

Just wondering because I'd love to get rid of some things, but hesitate "just in case" I need to show proof of the original.

maribeth
1-12-11, 5:42pm
I cannot be sure about everything, but I know that there was legislation passed that makes a digital image of a check sufficient to replace the original check.

This is why the banks can now send you a single page with pictures of all your canceled checks on it, instead of the original canceled checks, and why the Chase iPhone app can allow you to deposit checks by taking a digital picture of the front and back with your phone and digitally submitting it.