PDA

View Full Version : Finally an interview for my dream job!

pony mom
10-15-11, 11:33pm
OK, maybe not my all-time favorite dream job (something along the lines of professional puppy and kitten cuddler), but one I've longed for forever. After applying at least six times, I was finally interviewed for a job as a part time library assistant!! I'm so excited and I hope my enthusiasm didn't make me look like a silly idiot.

There were a lot of applicants, which I expected. I possess all the skills, I'm always eager to pitch in whenever help is needed, and I LOVE books and libraries. The best part was when she gave me a stack of old card catalogue cards to put into alphabetical order. OMG, I was in heaven!!! I LOVE alphabetizing! It's a large, newer building for the county branch and they're short-staffed so I mentioned how I don't mind being on my feet all day, running around, up and down stairs. Don't mind getting dirty, confined spaces (she asked me about that), or seniors. Kids, I'm just OK with, but she said that's a 'special skill' not held by many.

She makes her decision today but is off on vacation next week, so I won't hear either way for a few days yet. She did mention that there will be another position opening up soon. She seemed to like me and we had a very nice, informal chatty interview. I'm so spoiled--I've always been hired on the spot for every job I've been interviewed for, but these are desperate times. I'll be doing my visualisation techniques as much as I can. It just seems like the time is right for me and I can still work at the spa part time (it's been deadly slow there lately).

If it doesn't work out, it just means that the time isn't right and something else will come along, possibly even better for me. Maybe the next opening would be better, after the busy holiday time at the spa. Whatever happens is meant to be.

Just thought I'd share, since we all love books and libraries!! When I've mentioned this job to other people, they thought I was perfect for this type of work but had no desire to do it themselves. Gee, I thought everyone would love to work in a library. Go figure.

Marianne
10-16-11, 6:01am
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

lhamo
10-16-11, 6:27am
Hope this works out for you, pony mom! My first "real" job was as a library page, and I loved it. Still kind of regret I didn't go the MLS route and become a librarian. Might still be a second career for me someday. One good thing about many library systems is that they seem to do a lot of promoting from within -- I know both the Seattle Public Library and the King County Library System in the area I'm from have a higher proportion of jobs open only to internal candidates than they do for external hires.

All available appendages crossed hoping for good luck for you! And them. I'm sure they will be very happy to have found you.

lhamo

Selah
10-16-11, 8:38am
Good luck! Please let us know how it works out...I would love a job like that!

Sad Eyed Lady
10-16-11, 10:38am
Oh, I hope you get this dream job! I understand, I love books and libraries too. I served on our local board off and on for 15-16 years.

JaneV2.0
10-16-11, 12:01pm
I did part-time page work for awhile, and mostly liked it. Libraries are holy places for me, so I know how you feel. I hope you get the job!

Tenngal
10-17-11, 5:59pm
I am hoping the best for you!

Float On
10-17-11, 6:34pm
Sending up good thoughts for you!

KayLR
10-17-11, 6:40pm
Fingers crossed for you as well. I like your attitude: "If it doesn't work out, it just means that the time isn't right and something else will come along, possibly even better for me. Maybe the next opening would be better..."

Gardenarian
10-17-11, 7:15pm
Here's a librarian wishing you the best of luck! I love alphabetizing too - one of the many things I miss about the old card catalogs. It sounds like you'd be perfect for the job!

catherine
10-17-11, 7:20pm
OMG, I was in heaven!!! I LOVE alphabetizing!

I don't know why, I chuckled when I read this! You were made for this job, obviously. I think many people would love to work in a library, if their only job was reading! (That would be me). But I'd probably be fired for inability to organize.

Good luck--I really hope you get this job. Enthusiasm is the BEST attitude you can bring to an interview, so hopefully it will work out for you!

pony mom
10-18-11, 1:09am
Thank you all for your wishes and encouraging words. I'm cautiously optimistic but I feel a change is coming my way. Just when I felt a definite end of loyalty to my current job, it was as if a door opened; that evening, I found the job listing on the library's website. During a nice day at work, where we were having a birthday party and having fun, I felt as if I was observing it all as an outsider and that it wouldn't be this way again. Checked my voicemail and had a message to schedule an interview. Coincidence? We'll see.

Glad to hear there are others who would like a library job. Just the thought of all those books, and that distinctive library smell (you know, books and scotch tape) makes me giddy. I'm not so odd after all. Hope to have good news to report next week.

Zoebird
10-18-11, 2:06am
i like libraries a lot, and i liked working at the one at the university.

but i dislike a lot of librarians. they are always so mean to me. what is up with that?

be a nice librarian. :D

lhamo
10-18-11, 5:57am
I hope your good vibe is spot on, pony mom! I had a similar feeling when I first heard about my current job. I was in the middle of a post-career meltdown regrouping phase, had been taking some career/life planning workshops and was starting to look toward my grant-funded language studies coming to an end and trying to figure out what next. I had literally JUST had coffee with a friend one day when I was bemoaning how I didn't know what was going to happen or what I should do when I went home, opened my inbox, and found an email from my now boss announcing the opening for this position. I didn't even know him well -- had met him briefly a few years prior when my husband applied for a job with him, and somehow ended up with my email in his list. Total fate. This job was meant to be mine. I even cried at my interview and they still hired me! He is a total mensch, and it has been a wonderful gig -- one that I hope will continue to grow and develop over many years.

I know it doesn't always work out that way, but here's hoping that your gut feeling is right and that this is meant to be. Sounds like it!

lhamo

lhamo
10-18-11, 5:57am
I hope your good vibe is spot on, pony mom! I had a similar feeling when I first heard about my current job. I was in the middle of a post-career meltdown regrouping phase, had been taking some career/life planning workshops and was starting to look toward my grant-funded language studies coming to an end and trying to figure out what next. I had literally JUST had coffee with a friend one day when I was bemoaning how I didn't know what was going to happen or what I should do when I went home, opened my inbox, and found an email from my now boss announcing the opening for this position. I didn't even know him well -- had met him briefly a few years prior when my husband applied for a job with him, and somehow ended up with my email in his list. Total fate. This job was meant to be mine. I even cried at my interview and they still hired me! He is a total mensch, and it has been a wonderful gig -- one that I hope will continue to grow and develop over many years.

I know it doesn't always work out that way, but here's hoping that your gut feeling is right and that this is meant to be. Sounds like it!

lhamo

Mrs-M
10-22-11, 1:51pm
Chanting for you Pony mom! Fingers crossed.

Gardenarian
10-24-11, 6:59pm
i like libraries a lot, and i liked working at the one at the university.

but i dislike a lot of librarians. they are always so mean to me. what is up with that?

be a nice librarian. :D

I try to be a nice librarian! They choose the meanies to work at the circulation desk - those are the ones who scold you for having your books late and won't let you check things out if you have fine. Reference librarians want people to read! We want the library to be a peaceful loving place. Well, I do!
(Oh, and library assistants and librarians are not the same thing. Kind of like lawyers and para-legals. But I don't care - lots of great library assistants out there!)

pony mom
10-24-11, 7:53pm
Oh well, no phone call today so I'm assuming the rejection letter is in the mail. I'll just reapply the next time another job is posted. : ( I have to remember that "this or something better is on its way". Oh poo!

JaneV2.0
10-24-11, 8:12pm
Keep after 'em!