PDA

View Full Version : Colon cancer and bacteria

Suzanne
10-18-11, 9:30am
http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/18/a-surprising-link-between-bacteria-and-colon-cancer/

It looks as if bacteria might have a major role in causing colon cancer.
Apparently these same bacteria are implicated in dental plaque and appendicitis.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CancerPreventionAndTreatment/colon-cancer-bacteria/story?id=14755840
And gum disease is linked to heart disease. http://www.perio.org/consumer/mbc.heart.htm

Weston Price appears to have been on the right track all along when he equated dental health with general health!

Mrs-M
10-18-11, 3:18pm
Thanks for the great links/info, Suzanne. This was just on the news this morning. Would be so nice to see a drug manufactured that kills the bacteria in question.

lhamo
10-18-11, 4:54pm
It may not be the case that killing the bacteria is the answer. Our bodies are essentially a huge ecosystem. The bacteria probably play an important function and may not be damaging, as long as they don't get out of control. But when they hit the tipping point, the balance is thrown off.

Lack of balance seems to be at the root of so many problems, personal and collective. Guess those daoists were on to something!

lhamo

redfox
10-24-11, 1:57am
Wow... I just emailed my PCP, as I have noticed blood in my stools two days in a row, and am presently in freak out mode... This article s scary too. Anyone dealt with the diagnostics I imagine I am about to go through?

Float On
10-24-11, 7:40am
Just had a friend go thru Stage 2 Colon Cancer. He had pain in his gut but no other symptom like blood or change in stool. Thankfully, he went to the ER because the pain had been there 2 weeks and they were able to schedule him for surgery the next day and got all of it. No need for additional treatments, just follow up checkup in 6 months. He is now handing out cards he made to remind everyone to get a colonoscopy.

Suzanne
10-24-11, 9:27am
I'm with you, Lhamo; better to restore the balance!

CathyA
10-24-11, 3:20pm
Redfox.........you'll no doubt have a colonoscopy and maybe a CT scan.
You guys are scaring me a bit. I have IBS and have had a new pain in my gut for about 6-9 months. I've been
assuming it was my diverticula and GERD. I'm actually going on Wednesday to see the GI doc.
I did a hemoccult test here at home and it was negative. I had a colonoscopy about 4 years ago and it was good.
Redfox.....sometimes if you have hemorrhoids, they can bleed too, so don't freak out completely yet. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

redfox
10-24-11, 10:35pm
Thanks... Internal hemorrhoids, but not the source thus far. Colonoscopy to be scheduled. Ugh... but I want to know! This is really the first time I've thought that aging sux.

CathyA
10-25-11, 8:51am
Have you ever had a colonoscopy? Its really not that bad. And it is good to know things are okay in the colon! I'll probably be having one myself in the next 2 weeks. Let us know how it goes.

redfox
10-26-11, 4:58pm
Have you ever had a colonoscopy? Its really not that bad. And it is good to know things are okay in the colon! I'll probably be having one myself in the next 2 weeks. Let us know how it goes.

Never had one, and apparently I won't be scheduled for awhile... I have a phone consult Nov. 15, and then the procedure will be scheduled. Guess I'll be managing my anxiety with something other than an answer!

CathyA
10-28-11, 3:20pm
I'm sorry you have to wait so long. You mentioned it was internal hemorrhoids. Did the doctor examine you for that? If you're not comfortable talking about this publicly, send me a PM, okay?

Float On
10-31-11, 1:02pm
I talked to my friend that just went through colon cancer. His Dr here said "Oh, you had a colonoscopy 4 years ago, we'll wait another year." He went to FL where the Dr said "Let's go ahead and do one tomorrow". If he'd waited a year, he probably would of died within months.

It is so hard to remember that we have to be in-charge and in-control of our own health care.

redfox
11-1-11, 12:10am
I'm sorry you have to wait so long. You mentioned it was internal hemorrhoids. Did the doctor examine you for that? If you're not comfortable talking about this publicly, send me a PM, okay?

I'm fine about being open about this. Yes, I was examined for internal hemorrhoids ( which are varicose veins, I learned, that have become irritated & bled). Not very inflamed, not a smoking gun, to quote the PA. Since then, all seems good in my GI tract. Haven't thought this much about poop since I had small children! Oy vey.

CathyA
11-1-11, 8:40am
Hi Redfox,
I know you're really nervous, but you should be encouraged by the fact that your hemorrhoids were bleeding. Blood in the stool could definitely just be from that.
I have IBS and unfortunately think about poop all the time! haha
Hang in there!

San Onofre Guy
11-1-11, 10:43am
Eliminate meat, eliminate meat, eliminate meat.

Since changing my diet, I now only eat meat a few meals per week and the quantity is low, I have noticed a much quicker passage of food through my digestive tract. Meat and fats including dairy really slow things down and you don't want waste sitting around. The best thing you can do for your digestive tract is to keep things moving along.

Suzanne
11-1-11, 11:03am
Eliminate meat, eliminate meat, eliminate meat.

Since changing my diet, I now only eat meat a few meals per week and the quantity is low, I have noticed a much quicker passage of food through my digestive tract. Meat and fats including dairy really slow things down and you don't want waste sitting around. The best thing you can do for your digestive tract is to keep things moving along.

That may work for you! I eat quite a lot of meat and fat, along with veggies and very little fruit, and have no, um, delays. The secret is not less meat, but more fibre, and certainly way less sugar and refined carbohydrates.

CathyA
11-1-11, 12:11pm
I think one problem is that none of us are the same in our GI tracts/neuro systems, etc. and we can't assume what works for us works for everyone.
I eat alot of meat because I can't seem to tolerate carbs. I think they cause me to release too much insulin.
I like to eat alot of veggies, but they seem to not move well. I think my problems are neuro-system based, and not necessarily from what I do or don't eat.
I think my GI troubles would get alot worse, if I had to depend on grains and no meat.

redfox
11-1-11, 9:34pm
Thanks, all. I have a god diet - though I do overeat - such yummy organic food! We eat meat 2-3 dinners a week, and it's usually small quantities, less than 3 oz per person. Lots & lot of veggies, and apples all the time. I am looking forward to getting this issue settled with w colonoscopy. Wow, never thought I'd say that! I'll keep ya posted... If that's what you really really want...
:)

Jemima
12-4-11, 12:00am
You guys are scaring me a bit. I have IBS and have had a new pain in my gut for about 6-9 months. I've been assuming it was my diverticula and GERD. I'm actually going on Wednesday to see the GI doc.
I did a hemoccult test here at home and it was negative. I had a colonoscopy about 4 years ago and it was good.

Beware of abdominal pain. A coworker of mine ignored hers so she could go on a cruise. So, several months after the pain started they discovered she had ovarian cancer. Then, even after chemo, she developed lymphoma, and went through chemo again. Then the abdominal pain started again. They operated again. Her doctor was at the end of his rope and referred her to a clinical trial of a cancer vaccine at the University of Pennsylvania. I don't know what happened after that because she went on medical leave and I retired. She hasn't kept in touch as she promised, so I'm suspecting the worst.

redfox
12-4-11, 12:58am
Yeah, scary stuff. Ovarian cancer is dreadful. I am having the colonoscopy on the 20th. No longer worried... I did a fecal occult & it was normal. I am losing my employer paid health insurance at year's end, and buying a catastrophic policy. I am in get all my tests done now mode, and will be glad when this one is done!

Simplemind
12-5-11, 12:34am
I put off a colonoscopy for years out of fear. My sister who is a bigger chicken than me went first and then talked me into it. It was so much easier than I thought. The prep is the hardest part. The actual procedure was a breeze. I got a clean bill of health which was great but didn't feel as great as overcoming my fear of going in.

Do not put it off!

Mighty Frugal
12-7-11, 9:19pm
Redfox, I've had 2 colonoscopies and need to get them every 5 years. It's true the prep is far worse than the procedure which is over before you know it. And the drugs they give you are MARVELOUS......purr

What's disconcerting reading this thread is I have always been told by doctors and what I read and the gastro doctors who did my colonoscopies that a polyp takes about 10 years to turn cancerous. So, providing you get a scope every 5 years even if you have a polyp it doesn't have enough time to go cancerous. First time they found nothing. 2nd time a teeny tiny polyp too small to even biopsy, he just cut it off. He said come back in 5 years.

redfox
12-18-11, 11:28pm
So, tomorrow is my fasting/prep day. I found this column on prepping I had to share.
http://dremilykane.com/2009/02/18/dave-barrys-guide-to-preparing-for-a-colonoscopy/

redfox
12-20-11, 11:18pm
All went well. One polyp sent to biopsy... will hear back in one week.

Suzanne
12-20-11, 11:51pm
Hanging in for you, Redfox...I'm glad you got it over with!

MTRachel
12-29-11, 11:11pm
There's an interesting guy who believes a lot of colon problems in the west come from the use of toilets versus squatting to empty our bowels. He presents a very convincing argument at: www.naturesplatform.com Click on the "Health Benefits" section and see what you learn :).

Tiam
12-30-11, 12:17am

I've heard different things. Is it really necessary? I'm becoming more and more skeptical of 'procedures' that are just because, but no real indicators.

Wildflower
12-30-11, 2:46am
I've heard different things. Is it really necessary? I'm becoming more and more skeptical of 'procedures' that are just because, but no real indicators.

I refuse to have one and my doctor is ok with that. My Mother had one which punctured a tiny hole in her colon. She died within a week after her colonoscopy - her stomach contents had spilled out of her colon due to the puncture, and resulted in a massive infection. By the time she had symptoms it was too late. She was septic.

Mrs-M
11-20-12, 11:31pm
So sorry to hear about your mom, Wildflower. I am so fearful of getting one now after reading your story.

My husband works with a man who is in his early 50's, who recently had a colonoscopy, and according to the man, it saved his life. Several advanced cancerous polyps were found and removed.